“Better Service and Improved Stay!”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Better Service and Improved Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed here some 12 years ago and loved this hotel but were very dissapponited when we returned 5 years ago, as rooms just looked shabby and hotel had the feel of just needing a good cleanup/refurb. I was very relucktant to stay here again but as all the other hotels on my list were fully booked due to this being a last minute addistion to our holiday.I was not expecting much and really annoyed at having to spend so much money on a hotel that I felt was way too expensive, in terms of quality and service we had previuosly experienced. What a pleasant surprise to find our rooms totally refurbished and the staff back to being extremely friendly, helpful and courteous. The Resort looked spick and span, service was excellent and the food great. I would go back to recommending this hotel as it certainly is VERY convenient for those whose main attraction at Disney is Magic Kingdom, as you get there in 2 minutes on the monorail. It is quite far away from Downtown Disney and other theme parks but there is a free bus service to these and this rums every 20 minutes from Hotel, making everything accessible. A most enjoyable stay..

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the lagoon as you will be able to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks every night...
4 Thank Fomc
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Turkish first
Phila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

From the moment we stepped off the plane in Orlando, with our parents and two children, our trip was wonderful. The hotel and travel agent, Jennifer Toren at jennifer@tripguy.com took care of everyting for us from the baggage, to the transportation, to the great service and amazingly friendly staff. They were so accomodatng and every request we made was met promptly and with a smile. The pools were perfect for a late afternoon swim with the kids, and the property was impeccably manicured. In my opinion, the food was simply average but I went into the trip knowing not to expect too much from the meals. I was able to truly appreciate the proximity to the monorail and the Disney parks. Having strollers with us everywhere we went, this was a must. I would definitely reccommend The Grand Floridian to anyone who is planning a family vacation to DisneyWorld in the future.

3 Thank Liz S
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I'm between a 3-4. It's much nicer than an average hotel and I would consider it very nice but everything's relative, right?! For the prices you would have to pay here, I would expect just a little step up. Luckily I had the pleasure of a free trip here through a conference and we really did have a wonderful time. It was an awesome trip.

Positives:
- Beautiful setting
- Conference meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) were catered by the hotel and were elegant and delicious.
- All of the staff I had talked to were friendly and helpful.
-The pools looked inviting, water temperature was comfortable. There are plenty of lounging chairs and towels and there is a small pool bar at the main pool.
-NIce to have a gym on site. It's small but has what you need for a great workout away from home.
-Comfortable beds
-Plenty of towels in room right away
-Daily maid and turn down service
-We had a room overlooking the water with a balcony, nice breeze
- Monorail on site
- There is a marina where you can catch the fireworks every night

Negatives
-There is some construction going on and you do hear the trucks rather early.
-I was surprised there was nothing in the fridge. At minimum, I would expect water. The tap water doesn't taste good. We talked about going to refill our water bottles in the gym cooler but that was inconvenient. The bar charges 3.50 for a water. It's hot in Florida, bottled water should be a little more accessible.
- I did not like the pillows, they are too 'fat' or 'big' many in our group complained of this and felt a kink in their neck the next morning. I personally like a flat pillow and having this issue often, I brought mine, so I was happy. But most higher end hotels do have a choice of pillows, materials, or styles.
- Rooms are dated, a little run down.. but definitely clean.

Bottom line is we had a really nice time, as I said, I had a free trip here and personally would not pay the prices... I just did a quick search, $515/night? Yikes. It's Disney!

Room Tip: I liked having a room overlooking the water with a balcony
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank RoxySt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

If the pricing of the monorail resorts weren't so steep, I would stay at the Grand Floridian every year at Christmastime. The decorations were gorgeous. The cast members were pleasant and helpful, and you can't beat the location. It's only one monorail stop from Magic Kingdom and an easy 10 minute walk to the Polynesian resort and 15 minute walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center for Epcot monorail access. I know that many travelers are not impressed with the theming at the Grand, but I like it a lot. It's classic, pretty, and light.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank MalOVision
Plymouth, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I see a lot of other reviews on here and see many people talking about it's great proximity and easy access to the Magic Kingdom. That is wonderful but does not say much about the property itself. There are also other resorts that have pretty easy access to the MK like any resort that is on the monorail system but again, that does not tell me about the resort. We been there on a couple of occasions as for the past 20+ years we have gone to Disney almost every year. I think you see the small things that change over time when you go more often then when you have time spaced out between visits. It's like planting a seed. Seeing it a month later and then seeing the whole plant a year later. This resort USED to be for the elite only. You would see children but they were not your average run of the mill children, they would be walking around with their GF bathrobes on and the lobby would even have that "richness" about it. No so much anymore. It has become just another resort except you pay a lot more. I feel very highly that you should get what you pay for and I do not feel that you get this with the GF. If you took the time to stay at other disney resorts or just visited them you would see what I was talking about. Things are not as clean and pristine as they once were. Sure the outside of this resort is Grand and picturesque, but inside you will find soiled and torn carpet, walls that need to be repainted and rooms that have certainly seen there day and are in need of a complete overhaul. There are many choices that one can stay at on Disney property if one chooses. All come with some benefits. Just know that if you are going to pay the prices of the GF and think you are going to have more of a quiet vacation or upscale vacation than staying at say the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge for that matter it is not going to happen. It has become a park inside itself as it is.. noisy and kids running all about. One would think for this kind of money that you would not find that, but you will. Just be aware and if you don't mind that then your fine. But the rooms and such do need some upkeep work for sure.

8 Thank hippiemoose