“Beautiful common areas, rooms need help”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Denver
“Beautiful common areas, rooms need help”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My family and I recently enjoyed a week in DisneyWorld, staying at The Grand Floridian. The common areas (lobby, restaurants, etc) are stunning! The rooms...not so much. Our room was tiny and VERY dated. Furniture was banged up, bath fixtures were old, carpet was stained. Just REALLY needs an update! It's too bad because this is a gorgeous property and supposedly, the cream of the crop as far as Disney hotels in Orlando. We had a blast on our vacation but I would not recommend this resort considering the price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Brycesmommy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Turkish first
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I went to this place on april 2012 for my sisters birthday. We are a family of 5 with my parents, me (25) my sister (21) and the birthday girl, who turned 11. The staff is friendly all the time and they will do almost about everything to make the most of your stay. When we got to the front desk they gave us all I'm celebrating buttons and a birthday button for my sister. When we asked for an upgrade they checked and gave it to me for free!! I had lake view at no extra cost. They gave us a resort map and took us to our room in a very nice cart. There are hidden mickeys and disney characters everywhere and you get a lot of fun looking for them.
Once at our room (we chose to stay all together like the old times) we got two queen beds and a duvet, so we were all comfortable. And a little balcony too. For my surprise, there was NO minibar, just a fridge. I had no idea that they emptied every mini room at disneys resorts. I love getting in the room and taking an ice cold beer, didn't happened. But the room itself was pretty and the turndown service was great too.
There are two pools, one of them works 24 hours, which is great to swim after doing the parks.
There are specialty shops and restaurants, which you have to book really in advance. You get all disney transportation buses, monorail and boat to go everywhere disney. We ate at the 1900 cafe and it was pretty decent, but not a top breakfast. You get disney characters to take pictures and stuff, which is really funny.
I don't have much of a complaint but I like more movement and people seeing, so I preferred the contemporary resort.

Room Tip: Worth the lake view, there is a nightly light show in it! Really fun.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LCMORENO
Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 6 day stay on the concierge level with our family (including 2 teenagers and an 8 year old). This was our 4th trip to Disney with the kids, our previous stays were at wilderness lodge, contemporary, and boardwalk. We would definitely stay at grand Floridian again. The staff was wonderfully helpful and we felt they went "above and beyond" whenever possible - Jenna even went out of her way to get my son new swim goggles when she heard he'd forgotten his. The concierge level was great - especially the breakfast in the mornings and constant snacks. The rooms were large (we had two adjoining rooms) - I don't understand reviews that said otherwise (and we've stayed in many large rooms and suites). I do agree that the decor could be updated in the rooms. The pools were great and never crowded. It is so wonderful being one monorail stop away from the magic kingdom, and we were able to watch their fireworks every night from our balcony. Overall, staying at the Grand Floridian made us feel like we were special. It is worth the "splurge"!!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Rubesgirl
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Ok.... so Disney is all about the kid’s right? It's a good thing because if you are looking for a high end hotel experience like the Ritz don’t stay here. We did 4 nights club level in the main building for about $800 a night. We decided to do club level (see fireworks every night) so we could let our young children snack on and off without having to do the meal plan and have them waste a bunch of fried food..My kids are not the best eaters. The club level food and drink was nice and they also usually had healthy choices available. 2 big gripes about club level..Why are there cans of soda etc available but no bottled water and why is there only beer and wine available for 3 hours a day? Hint-by any adult beverages you would like for your room or poolside from the gift shop not the bar. We stayed in the main building club level which is kinda weird. They figured out after the place was built that you could see the castle from this area. It was originally supposed to be offices so there is a separate entrance and elevator. The rooms are fine I guess. You can tell they are in constant use and a bit run down by any ordinary higher end hotel standard but hey you are on property right? The main areas of the hotel are a big step up from the actual rooms. Pools are nice and music at night in the very large main lobby is nice to relax and listen. I would also say the staff was very friendly and offered to help at all times with any requests we had. My wife did use the club level concierge quite a bit ahead of time and while we were there to get us in places to eat and activities for our kids that we would normally have had trouble getting into-Princess Breakfast anyone? It is convenient being on the monorail and the boat back to the hotel was also very nice. Friends went 3 weeks before us and stayed at the contemporary and said it was just dreadful compared to when they visited the GF for a day. So I would say if staying on the property is your goal (there are benefits, magic hours etc.) this is the place to stay. Yes the GF was more expensive than the other properties but I couldn’t see spending all this money at Disney in general and being in a lower level hotel.
One big thing I’d like to mention. They give you a card to charge all your stuff on during your stay anywhere at Disney what they don’t tell you is they set some arbitrary limit not based on the credit card you give them limit etc. We charged everything on it and we basically hit the limit the night before we left at dinner. Not that big a deal but it would have been nice to know-suppose we were not carrying other forms of payment when the dinner bill arrived? My feelings about the whole Disney experience is best left to another review but hey it’s all about the kids. Next time we go in a few years we will be staying off site so as to enjoy more of the resorts amenities. By then at least my kids will be older than 2½ and 5½.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank duggifresh
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice and it is perfectly situated for an amazing time in Disney. The hotel itself is absolutely amazing, the staff, rooms, pool area and location make it the must stay place in a visit to Disney. We found that you could visit one of the parks, come back to the hotel to eat and laze by the pool and then freshen up before visiting another park, everything was so convenient and the staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough for you...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family