“Mostly really good.”

Ranked #20 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Calgary
“Mostly really good.”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This hotel was clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. The room was very nice and the mini kitchen was really handy. The pool was large and nice and the food at the pool bar was really good. Free parking, internet (by the pool) and shuttle to attractions was really handy. Fabio at the front desk was really helpful and bent over backwards to help us when asked. The room price was really reasonable (pre-paid on Expedia to get the best rate) but there were a couple of little things that bothered me about this hotel. The second bed was a pull out sofa and it had the worst excuse for a mattres that I have ever seen. It really didn't "match" the nice decor otherwise. Upon request they brought me another mattress to double the thickness, but it was still a bit lame and the one blanket allocated to this sad little bed had a big hole in it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mrs. M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,051)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
QBGAP
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My mom, sis and I stayed here for a week long getaway to Orlando, with the intention of spending a bit of time at Universal.

We picked this hotel as part of a vacation package through Universal Orlando Vacations, that including flights, hotel stay, passes for the parks and a few other perks.

The hotel was fairly well priced and its location was ideal since we did not want to pay the extra to stay within Universal itself. It was about a $5 cab ride to and from the park. It was also a $5-10 cab ride to the Premium Outlet Shops and within walking distance to several restaurants.

The hotel was a distance from Disney and I would not recommend it for people planning to spend more than one day at Disney. They do offer a complimentary shuttle, but it takes at least an hour to go from hotel to park because it stops at about another dozen hotels along the way. If you want to skip the shuttle and take a cab, it costs about $45.

The hotel was fresh and new and extremely clean. If I was staying for only one or two nights, I would have been very happy as I do not consider myself an overly picky traveler. However, we stayed for a week and I felt that this hotel was missing a few basic things that make a week-long stay a bit more comfortable:

1. The hotel did not have a proper restaurant. They served pub style food until 10:00pm around the pool bar. We went there one night after a very tiring day shopping. We waited over an hour for the food, the service was terrible, the food was expensive and when we received it, it was undercooked, cold and inedible.

2. There was no mirror in our room. We didn't notice on the first day but after a morning of three people trying to get ready at the same time, it became an issue.

3. There was no safe in our room. This really surprised us. My sis and I are fairly seasoned travelers and we've never stayed in a hotel in a touristy location that did not have a safe for passports, jewelry, valuables.

4. Breakfast was not included in the price and was very expensive compared to similar breakfasts in the area. The breakfast bar was set up in the lobby and, good or bad, as a result, the entire main level of the hotel smelled like bacon and sausage 24/7.

5. The front desk staff were not forthcoming with information about the area and what it had to offer. Finding out about transportation, places to eat, etc. was a bit of a chore. They did not have any kind of pamphlets or anything available for tourists.

6. The housekeeping service was TERRIBLE. While the hotel was very clean, they offered only 'light housekeeping duties' during your stay. What this meant was they changed the towels and made the beds. They did not restock the facial or bathroom tissue - we had to call the front desk for refills every time we ran out. We didn't get service at all on our first day - we had to call the front desk when we returned late in the evening to get fresh towels for the next morning.

7. None of the cab drivers seemed to know where our hotel was. I don't know if it recently changed names or what, but it became annoying to try to give the drivers directions when we didn't know the area at all.

Overall, the hotel felt like an airport hotel or a one-nighter business hotel. It definitely didn't add anything positive to our Orlando vacation. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank QBGAP
thepointorlando, General Manager at The Point Orlando Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Ms. QBGAP,
Thank you for choosing The Point Orlando Resort, we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. Our goal is always to insure the best possible services, quality and your satisifaction. I want you to know that I have reviewed your comments with my staff and we will make every effort to insure a great overall experience. I do want you to know that we are sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced and want to invite you back. Your level of satisfaction, is our measure of success!.
Thank you again, we hope to be of service to you in the future.
Have safe travels!
Jerry & Staff
The Point Orlando Resort
dekalb
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here April 18 & 19. The hotel was spotless, the staff very friendly. We were just minutes from Universal Studios and only about 15 min from Disney. Last year we stayed at Disney's Port Orleans and it was dirty, loud and expensive. I would highly recommend staying at The Point instead of almost any Disney property. the only negative was that there was no wireless internet in the room. there was an ethernet hook up, but our tablet didn't have a port for that. There was free wireless in the lobby and by the pool. We plan on staying here on our next trip to Orlando.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
fort lauderdale
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here last week with my husband. This is a good hotel for a family as it has a large kitchen in the rooms and a nice size family room/ extra bedroom. However the hotel staff was very unfriendly, all I require is to be courteous and to smile. They seemed burdened by my few questions. They had cleaned the carpets in the hallway and did not have any signs warning that the floor was slippery. Naturally I slipped. The smell of the chemicals was awful too.

The king size bed and linens were nice. I want to say clean.... But I found a hair on a pillow. Not my hair. But still I liked the bedroom. The bathroom was large and clean and very nice, however, every night the toilet would randomly groan loud and wake me. It was strange and very annoying. As a result, I would never stay here again. Let's face it there are many hotels in orlAndo so why stay anywhere that you don't like.

Lastly, the sliding glass door to the third floor balcony was broken and had no working lock. I wedged a garden chair in the track of the door to stop intruders. It was creepy at night.

Enough said.

And the breakfast was rubbery eggs. Yuck.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs. M.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Point Orlando Resort. We take every comment very seriously and want you to know that we have corrected the issue you have brought to our attention. I do apologize for any inconvenience and hope that you will continue to be a valued guest of ours. Thank you very much, from the staff of the Point Orlando Resort.
We look forward to being of service to you in the future. Our goal is always to insure the best satisfaction and experience.
Jerry
& Management Team.
Haverhill
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I visit Orlando three times a year and always look to try out new hotels.
After looking at the usual hotels we came across The Point Orlando Resort where
we booked 11 nights. After arriving later than expected we were given a room
without a pool view which we had requested on booking. They said they were very sorry but all the pool views were booked for that evening and said we would have a pool room as soon as one was available the next day. Fabio Garcia, the assistant guest service manager, was true to his word and we had a lovely room allocated for the remaining length of our stay. We found the rooms to be more than adequate very clean quiet and spacious for the two of us. Housekeeping was very satisfactory with clean towels daily.
The pool deck was exceptionally clean with fresh towel in abundance. The poolside bar service was good and the food excellent especially the burgers!!
Fantastic FREE wireless reception around the pool and was informed by Fabio that they were planning to upgrade to wireless in rooms. We had free breakfast upgrade which served the purpose.
Thank you to all the staff especially Fabio Garcia for all the help we received in making our stay brilliant.
We recommend you try this hotel as we will be coming back later in the year.
Edwards family UK

Room Tip: all the rooms are good but pay a little more for poolside view