“Very friendly staff”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Okeechobee
Brewerton
“Very friendly staff”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Wife , myself, and dog stayed their for 2 weeks you can't find a better more friendly bunch of people. Rooms and grounds were very clean and well kept. Girls at front desk were very helpful especially Cathy. We'll be staying their again. Mike, Betty, and Holly.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holly47357
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dubois, IN
Reviewed 23 April 2011

VALUE / ROOM - We received a great weekly rate, came to around $47 per night in the end. The hotel room was exactly as described, with a microwave and miniature refridgerator. However, the television did not recognize our PS3 we brought with us (we wanted to watch Netflix on the free Wi Fi), even when we tried newly-purchased cords or the coaxial converter. The beds themselves were quite comfortable. Pillows aplenty, if a bit lumpy. The bathroom was a little disappointing in that the toilet never quite flushed 100%. Also, apparently, in some of the rooms people have stolen drain plugs from the tubs, so you may need to ask for one at the front desk. The hot water reached incredibly satisfying temperatures, maintained good pressure, and filled the tub as far as I wanted without running out. One type of complimentary shampoo (Sun & Sand) was watery and next to worthless, but luckily they had other varieties.

POOL - The pool itself was lovely, but watch your step around the deck as bits of it are in poor repair. The pool showers are outdoors, very public, and seemed to lack any sort of drainage; where one would stand to use them just caught and held the water. Not an issue for us, but I could see it being unpleasant having to stand in other people's used water. The view of the causeway from the deck was a nice bonus while drying off, and I really liked the exclusivity of the keycard-required entry.

FREE BREAKFAST - The continental breakfast consists of juice, milk, coffee, cereal, and generic snack cakes (which I found to be stupifying; surely we at least deserve real donuts, or bagels even? - or if nothing else, a recognizable brand; 'Great Value' doesn't count). Cheap, and unless you want to feed your young kids an overload of sugar in the morning, definitely not worth getting up early to have. The cereal was Froot Loops and Frosted Flakes (don't quote me on that, it could've been generic too). It was a pet peeve of mine for the duration of our stay that I had to go find food first thing in the morning since the selection was inadequate. The milk and juice was wonderfully convenient though, and always tasted cold and fresh whenever we got some. We almost made up for the cost of our breakfasts away from the hotel with free ice; a cooler stocked with beverages kept us all pretty comfortable even away from our room.

PARKING / BAR / FISHING - We thought when we pulled up the first day that there was more than enough parking to go around. Boy, were we mistaken! Since we arrived in the middle of the day, appearances were certainly misleading. Not that the hotel was full of people, you understand; more that after a certain hour at night, locals (and others, I'm sure) started to show up for the bar out on the pier. The parking lot was so packed one Friday night, we had to park a *considerable* distance from our hotel room. It wouldn't have been such a big deal except that my entire family was getting eaten up by mosquitos by the time we got indoors.

Out of curiosity, I ended up checking out the bar scene, on ladies' night by chance. After $2 purchase of a cup, all my drinks - beer and "well" drinks, they said, whatever that meant - were supposed to be free until midnight... in hopes that people would tip the bartenders of course. I was delighted; I'd only been in a bar twice before in my entire life, and the music was hopping. Well, when I went up to try a different drink, the woman who gave me service completely missed my statement that I only wanted something that was a free refill. (Understandable, right? I didn't want to spend more than I had to!) And subsequently charged me $4 for an Amaretto Sour that, for all the ice in it, might as well have been a vodka on the rocks. Someone who knows what a "well" drink is could probably have a hell of a time in there, though! Just not the best place for a woman married, with kids, and no idea what she's doing.

The pier the bar is built on seemed a bit rickety and dangerous in places, but provided good access to the causeway for fishing. And (big bonus here!) you don't have to have a fishing license since it is considered "private property." I caught a bunch of muck off the bottom, and a stick-fish or three, but nothing edible unfortunately. I did see plenty of fish jumping and swimming and such; they just didn't like my synthetic baits I suppose. Future note: try crickets? - The pier also offered an incredible sunrise experience, vibrant colors reflecting off the water, and the water fowl going about their business with total disregard for my presence. One crane seems to have a habit for sunning on the pier in the morning, I got within about ten feet before he acted spooked (and I stopped advancing). Be advised to bring a camera! You won't regret it.

LOCATION - It's pretty hard to miss Pier II, they have a large, well-lit sign... and two entrance / exit points in case you pass the first by accident. Okeechobee is a drowsy-but-sprawling place, with lots of fishing and sight seeing available nearby, the typical chain restaurants and Walmart you'd expect. If you're planning to visit the beaches, it really couldn't be easier; in Okeechobee, you're pretty much in the middle, with a nearly-equal distance to go to either coastline. The beach we enjoyed best was Jensen Beach (Google it) just south of Fort Pierce. It was clean, had lifeguards keeping an extra eye out, and - lo and behold! - no charge to park OR enter. Highly recommeded!

CUSTOMER SERVICE - From beginning to end, the staff at Pier II is what makes it really shine. Friendly and down to earth, unassuming and helpful, I just can't think of enough good things to say about them all. As a whole they managed to be respectful without being subservient, especially the nice cleaning lady. More towels? No problem! Just need a vacuum? No problem! We made constant use of the reversible Maid Service / Do Not Disturb sign, and as far as we could see nothing of ours was even moved- just cleaned around. Excellent change from other hotels we've been to.

SUMMARY - I rate this place 3.5 out of 5 stars because it is a charming place, with a lot going for it; a lot of freebies thrown in that many places would charge for, and WONDERFUL people employed. The maintenance issues were all exterior and would have nothing to do with a typical stay, but they do need to be addressed before they get any worse. Aside from that, fix the continental breakfast to more standard fare (like regular donuts, bagels, fruit, etc), and I'd rate a 5/5 easy.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Micarst
Lake City, Florida
Reviewed 19 March 2011

This hotel has everything you need right on the property!! Mama's food is delicious!! The bar is very reasonably priced and a great place to have a beer and relax! St Paddy's Day was wonderful!! The observation tower to watch the sunset was great! Mr Patel (Don) was very nice, knowledgeable and very helpful with any questions we had about the area. He is sitting on a goldmine! The property does need some upgrades but it appears that is being addressed

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
McDonald, TN
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We were pleased at the new upgrades to a hotel we've stayed at every Spring Break for years. New paint, clean rooms, friendly helpful staff, free drinks at night & free breakfast every morning. Pet friendly, too. The pool was large and clean. We loved it!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JaxGranny
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 March 2011

We stayed in Okeechobee with family but decided to blindly venture on our own to stay in a local hotel. The Pier 2 was by far the nicest exterior so we decided to stay here. First, the room was a great price and impeccably clean. We were given free drink tickets and a free delicious breakfast the following morning. The bar at Pier 2 was beautiful and has the best drink specials I have ever seen. We were warmly welcomed by the staff and most of all by the hotel's owner. He personally saw to it that all of our expectations were well exceeded. We had the most fun we ever had, and this stay at the Pier 2 made our whole vacation the best ever!!! Thanks Don & staff!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okeechobee
4.0 km away
Scottish Inns Okeechobee
#5 of 11 in Okeechobee
37.6 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port St. Lucie-Tradition
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Port...
#1 of 12 in Port Saint Lucie
0.8 km away
Travelodge Suites Lake Okeechobee
2.5 km away
Best Western Lake Okeechobee
Best Western Lake Okeechobee
#3 of 11 in Okeechobee

Been to Pier II Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK