“Unique, Very Specific”

Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing
Ranked #5 of 70 things to do in Ocala
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

So, I feel you really have to be a drag racing buff to really get into this experience. There is a LOT of stuff--very extensive collection for sure. Since I am not hugely knowledgeable about drag racing, it took a lot of reading and is a lot of information. I did my rating according to if I was very into drag racing though, because despite my lack of passion it was still a great place as a museum of drag racing.

The entrance price is pretty high at $20 each, but if you're really into it, this is probably your best place to see drag racing paraphernalia and historic pieces. The price gets you into the drag racing specific part, as well as the older cars building. They have a lot of cars, car accessories and photos. All in all, if you're REALLY into drag racing this is the place for you. If you're just sort of interested, this is going to be a huge sensory and information overload.

Was not crowded when we went, which was nice. Could move about wherever without bumping into anyone, but it was a weekday.

All reviews
in 22 reviews
"cracker barrel"
"admission price"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my first visit, my husbands 4th. It is a must stop if 1. you love drag racing 2. If you love old cars 3. If you love the history of engines.
So fun to kind of walk back through the history of drag racing and really see how Don Garlits helped shape the sport. He and many other racers are highlighted in there.
There is a gift shop where you purchase the tickets to get in. Lots of cool things to buy.
The lady that was in the gift shop was so very nice. I imagine she listens to so many stories that people want to share about their experiences and love of drag racing. I went late Saturday on the way to the Gatornationals and she insisted we take our time. I could tell she wanted every guest to enjoy the experience even if she stayed a little late. I really appreciated that as I had really looked forward to the visit and traffic was heavy getting there.

Thank you Don for letting us share in your love of the sport. It was an honor to be there.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you're into cars, this is a must! Two buildings, the first is a comprehensive display of American drag racing. Take time to sit and watch the Don Garlits video. Great collection of dragsters, engines and other styles of race cars.
The second building contains restored and original antique cars and memorabilia. Don was involved in a great number of quality restorations.
Plan a day trip to this museum...you won't regret it!

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Was returning home from the Orlando area when I spotted a sign that this museum was at the next exit and made a quick decision to pull off and check it out. Turned out to be a great move the museum was basically empty and I was able to move about freely. So many different types of cars from drag racing history in the main building providing so much viewing pleasure and jogged so many memories from days gone bye. The entry fee is reasonable enough but I was given a first responder discount as a result of being a retired New York City police officer. You can get through this as rapidly or slowly as you prefer I took many photos of vehicles that either recalled or just struck me as amazing to view. If you are a car enthusiast this is a must stop if you are in the area.