“Crystal clear water explore with Glass bottom boats or Kayak”

Silver Springs River
Ranked #6 of 72 things to do in Ocala
Reviewed 31 December 2017

The Silver Spings State Park is a great place to explore the crystal clear spring water. Wether you like doing some sports then go with a kayak or being lazy - take a glass bottom boat. The ride along the Silver river will give you the possibility to see many wild animals like Alligators, birds, turtles and fish.

All reviews
"clear water"
in 7 reviews
"old florida"
in 9 reviews
"great place to spend the day"
"enjoy nature"

Reviewed 23 December 2017

I have canoed, Kayaked and boated the Silver River for years. It is a great trip, lots of opportunities to see animals and nature. It is an upstream trip, so be prepared for a workout unless you are going via motorboat.
In the last few years I have begun to notice a decline in the water quality on the river, which saddens me, but it is the way of development I am afraid.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

I know that Clearwater is a different place in Florida but I am used to murky Midwestern lakes and rivers. It was simply amazing to be able to see so far down to the bottom of the various springs. We did the glass bottom boat tour on the main branch of the river, whose source is the largest spring in the park. You can canoe or kayak on a side channel with your own or a rented craft. We didn't have time for that, but we followed the walkway out and around the island between the two channels. Very scenic but we didn't see any monkeys. Also seemed to be relatively unscathed from Hurricane Irma, unlike the parks we visited along the Palm Coast on the other side of the state.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

About 40 of us arrived 10am and we filled two of the glass bottom river boats which departed approx. 11am.
The trip was excellent....we were able to see monkeys, alligators, many different birds, and of course all the flora & fauna under the water & atop the water.....Our Captain of the
bost was very knowledgeable and was able to tell us about all the movies & tv shows which were filmed on the river. It is a natural spring fed river and eventually goes into the St. John's river which is one of the few rivers in the USA that travels from South to North.
We plan to make this a destination point on beautiful days.
The paths wind around the park and show rock gardens, statues & a concert area....(they are now awaiting permits to start concerts again)
You can rent canoes, jet skis or bring your own boat to travel the river.....the speed on the river is IDLE SPEED.
Would highly recommend spending a day at this State Park.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 November 2017

As my title says, I spent a pleasant 3 hours at the Silver Springs river. I would have stayed longer had, a) the shop had been open for something to drink or eat, and b) (through no fault of the park, because of the hurricane damage), the trail had been open.There is camping and an area for a barbeque, but for a solo visitor little other facilities.
I visited on a weekday and swam in the crystal clear river with just a couple of other people. I also hired a canoe and went down the river. A couple of words of warning here. The canoes are constructed of metal and weigh around 100lbs. They are kept in an area some 50 yards away from the river and have to be taken there and back on a pair of wheels. As a senior solo traveller and fairly fit, I found this, together with the launching and getting the canoe back out of the river and onto the wheels quite difficult. Also, if you have a cushion to hand, I suggest you take one as the canoe bench is very hard.
You can hire the canoe for as long as you want, but I suggest that 2 hours is more than sufficient to travel the assessable area of the river.
There is an entrance fee of $2.00.
Regarding the trail, if it is still closed when you visit (check the web site), then you can cross the road from the entrance gate and walk as far as you please along the Florida path. I did this and attach a photo to show how nice it is.