“Sooooo good! ”
Review of Japanese Market

Japanese Market
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

Best sushi I ever had!! Place is your typical whole in the wall - delicious, super casual but super clean too. Gracious, fast service

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed 30 July 2016

This place reminded me of the soup place on Seinfeld. It's a bit like going to another world. First of all, it is very difficult to find. It's in an unmarked abandoned industrial building, in the middle of nowhere. You will never accidentally end up here, unless you've done something very bad in a past life. The sushi bar is inside a small Japanese store selling snacks and drinks. Imagine a dirty gas station, with a sushi restaurant inside it. Bizarre. There are all sorts of strange rules (strictly enforced). It's comical. For example, if you buy one of their drinks - in their store - you cannot drink it, but only if it's from cooler #5 or #6. It's unclear what to do if you buy a drink from coolers #1-4. During my long wait, I bought some Pocky to snack on, and was quickly informed by the cashier that I could not eat it in the store at all. I would have to stand outside in the hot parking lot if I wanted to eat the food that they sold me, in their store, while waiting for their sushi, for one hour. Also, you cannot use their trash can for "outside trash." Who on earth would just stop by and drop off some trash? Maybe they really are a gas station.

There are only 16 seats (seats, not tables) and the ladies are constantly playing musical chairs to get people in. For example, while eating your sushi, you may be asked to move to another table so that someone else can have your seat. You might even be asked to move twice. This is not up for discussion. You order while in line, but only when called and not a minute before. You get one chance to order everything. No take backs. While eating in the little sushi corner, you are surrounded by other people hovering over you like vultures, waiting for a seat. Also, no reservations, no call aheads, no takeouts, no cell phones, no ipads, no laptops, and they will open and close when they please.

We arrived at 1pm and waited a full hour to be seated. The sushi was good, and they had some special rolls (try the dragon roll - outstanding). It just wasn't worth the wait. Prices were low. However, I do not recommend this place unless you have a lot of time and want a really unique sushi experience.

Date of visit: July 2016
2  Thank CamilleS797
Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

This place is comply hidden and once you find it, you will be somewhat disappointed...
For me, it's ok that they do not accept reservations... They could have a better way to let people wait.
You come in and it is a very old fashioned mini market with products from Japan.. You can tell they need to clean this place... Fridges are dirty, isles don't look good... If you have to go to the restroom, you pass by the "storage" and prepping room... Filthy!!!
Attitude not so good, maybe even rude!
Then we could sit down.. Finally tried to order and they press you a little.. And by the way, you can only order once...
We waited for over 40 min to get our food... Average at most... Too much rice in all rolls and sushi pieces were not that great... All in all, I do not recommend this place...

Date of visit: March 2016
1  Thank JacquesR910
Reviewed 17 March 2016

If you happen to get there at the right time and are seated right away or within 20 minutes of waiting then I'd say it is worth it, but to wait 1-2 hours is crazy not because the food is not good, but for the main reason that you cannot re-order in most cases if they are busy and have a waiting list for seats. So in most cases you are going there because you want lunch and you are hungry to begin with, then after waiting for an hour or 2 you are starving and want to make sure when you finally are seated that you have ordered enough food so you tend to over order or at least in my first experience here thats what I did. Slow service and no atmosphere but the fish is good and the prices are even better. I would recommend only if you did not have to wait for an unreasonable amount of time to be seated, otherwise I'd say you could find just as good sushi in many other places in Miami that don't require jumping through so many hoops.

Date of visit: March 2016
2  Thank DA2311
Reviewed 9 February 2016

This happens to be one of the best kept secrets in the Miami Beach area. The sushi is great & rthe prices are inexpensive.
Here is where this restaurant takes a nose-dive as far as everything else is soncerned:
1. The owners are super rude. It's actually comical when you share stories with other people about this restaurant. They certainly have quite a reputation for being extremely nasty.
I know it can't be the culture, because the culture has some of the nicest, most courtous people in it. Its certainly questionable regarding this place.
2. They have the most hilarious RULES! This is another thing so many people talk about & laugh about. I beg you to just walk into this establishment & view all of the rules posted artound the restaurant. It's seriously hilarious! "We do not accept dirty coins!" "No cell phones!" "You can only place one order. You are not allowed to order anything additioonally once you have placed that only initial order. So if you see something you like, or perhaps you are still hungry...you will be denied further service, LOL! There is also a sign that states you are onkly allowed to purchase drinks from coolers #3 & #4 to be brought into the dining area. Drinks from the other coolers are not allowed. You are NOT allowed to take pictures with your cell phone. One time I was with a party of people who were laughing so hard about the "Do not accept dirty coins" sign that they triesd to snap a cell phone picture of it...only to have the lady owner grab their cell phone & she shouted at them: No!"
It is honestly like a comedy event going here. There is a sign that says "No outsiude trash" LOL! How often do people bring in outside trash I wonder? LOL There are so many more signs & I urge you just to experience this hilarity for yourself. I love going there & watching all of the new custiomers whisper & giggle at all of the signs. Too funny!
3. There are no reservations allowed & you must wait easily an hour or 2 hours just to be seated in the only 6 seating tables they have.
4. The male owner is also the sushi chef. He's hilarious too! He is very seriious & listens in carefully into your private conversations, it is a trip. One time my daughter called me on my cell phone...it RANG in the restaurant...Oh my God! He shouted at me in front of the restaurant. I didn't know whether to laugh or what. I enjoy telling this funny stories anyhow.
There truly is so much more fun at this reatsurant, I urge people to go in & experience it for themselves! :)

Date of visit: December 2015