“Expected more.”
Review of M & H Stables - CLOSED

M & H Stables
Reviewed 19 June 2015

The guide did feel slightly judgmental as another person stated. My boyfriend got him to talk because my boyfriend has EXCELLENT people skills. The guide, who is also the owner, has a awesome story and is also a awesome guy (once you get past his exterior).

The negatives were the fact that there was no info behind the horses or the nature in the area, if my boyfriend wasn't there it would of been extremely awkward.

Beautiful location and the horses are taken care of perfectly! (:

Reviewed 15 May 2015

We live close to M&H Stables and on a whim decided to check out their trail rides. What a relaxing, fun morning riding with Pastor Rick in the woods bordering the Picayune State Forest. He led my wife and I on a one hour ride. We had two excellent horses which were well cared for and gentle. The stables were clean and the entire facility is well kept up. The trails were well maintained with zero trash.

All in all, the experience was very personable and thoroughly enjoyable. All for just $40 a head--we highly recommend them. We will make this a regular event when the itch comes around for some relaxing horseback time.

2  Thank David J
Reviewed 25 February 2015 via mobile

I have a horse, but don't get to ride much anymore due to a medical condition. My horse has always been for an intermediate to advanced rider (which I am) but, due to my condition I no longer have the strength, energy or muscle tone to safely ride him. It was a real treat to hack out on the well mannered, but FAR from dead beat horses at M & H Stables! Since, I've only had one horse for the last 4 years...the best part was the chance to ride along side my 16yr. old daughter again! She's learned so much at riding camp over the last few summers. It filled my heart to watch her ride. I spent most of the hour turned around in my saddle just beaming at her! I definitely recommend them...especially if you've been missing the saddle for awhile!!

2  Thank Dana C
Reviewed 29 November 2014

Horses appeared healthy and stable area was clean and attractive. However, some of the staff made me feel uneasy. Alex was great, friendly, and informative. The man who led us on the trail had an odd manner about him that may be best described as cynical and judgmental. He may not have been, but I did not feel particularly welcome as a customer, but rather looked down upon has a person without professional experience with horses.
This outfitter advertises itself as the only one permitted to take customers on the trails in the Picayune Strand State Forest. The setting was beautiful. However, I was deeply disappointed that the guide provided absolutely NO narrative about the area. I didn't expect him to be a professional naturalist guide, but I expected some information about the Forest to be given to us as customers, especially to spark the interest of the children. What we got was complete silence along the trail except for two questions. One question was asked about where we were from, and the second was asking if we could keep up with the lead horse. It was the employee (Alex) at the back of the line of horses who gave us guidance on how to prompt the horses if they fell behind, Instruction before the ride was non-existent. This was a new experience for my children, I have not been horseback riding in years, and I did not personally know these horses, so I viewed this at best as an extreme oversight, and at worst a disservice and safety issue for the customers and the horses.
Lastly, the ride did not start on-time even though we called ahead the day before (ad states an appointment is required), and we arrived 20 minutes before the scheduled appointment. When we arrived, none of the horses were ready, and we had to stand around and wait until 15 minutes AFTER our scheduled time to start on the trail. The ride was supposed to last one hour, and we got 50 minutes total ride time. I did not view this a good experience for the money I spent.

1  Thank jdang1