“Get ready for nickel and diming!”

Roney Plaza Apartments
Rochester, NY
“Get ready for nickel and diming!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2005

Don't do it! This hotel is a giant rip off. No matter what you need they don't have it, everything is way overpriced and they have an extreme knack for throwing in extra charges. The pool is crowded, the hotel itself is nothing special. We've stayed at many hotels in the South Beach area and this is the only hotel of the group that I wouldn't stay at again (not even on a bet). We had a terrible time here, whatever you do don't sign yourself up to learn the same mistake we did!

15 Thank Mara N
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2004

This hotel is wonderful. It's not as centrally located to the action as one would like, but its is really a magnificent hotel.

The room was probably one of the best hotel rooms that we have ever stayed in...bearing in mind that we travel quite extensively. The rooms are absolutely enormous, with separate living-room and bedroom areas. The bathroom was almost as large as the bed room!

The King-sized bed was the most comfortable bed that we've ever slept on.

The rooms also come with a working kitchen, with your own large fridge, sink, and microwave.

The hotel itself has the feel of a real "beach vacation", and the constant flow of people adds to the warm and friendly atmosphere. The pool isn't all that great, but the beach is fantastic.

Right next door to this hotel is a grocery store, and there is also an "Outback Steakhouse" that serves fantastic and affordable food. The public library is one block away, across the street, and has free Internet access if one requires it.

This is a truly marvelous hotel that I would recommend to anyone, particularly people traveling in large groups.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2004

Overall the Roney was nice. The outside of the hotel is really ugly because of the renovations being done. There is some noise mon-fri 8-5 because they are working on the balconies. I stayed for the fourth of july weekend so we missed most of the construction. The main pool was closed. Beach is very close by. Not much of a walk. Nightlife and action of ocean drive are far. We had to take a cab to all of the the clubs and to the happening area of the beach. The room was beautiful and spacious. It looked just like the pictures on their website. I would recommend this hotel for families who aren't interested in the nightlife that south beach has to offer. For those of you who are looking to club hop you might want to stay on ocean drive. But we got a really good deal so couldn't complain. After the renovations are complete the price of this place will sky rocket!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2004

We really enjoyed our spacious studio-like room. It had a kitchen and balcony overlooking Collins Ave. However, the hotel was too big for our taste, felt more like Vegas than Miami. The location is the biggest draw back. It's far away from all the action in a rather run down area of South Beach. I wouldn't recommend it.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2004

I was just at the Roney for a business/pleasure trip for the last week of February. I went early to stay the weekend with a friend have some fun before the business part of the trip. I decided to stay at the Roney after extensive research on other places and I was right - The rooms were huge (I had a standard ocean view). Yes, there are charges for parking, mini-bar etc. but I'm afraid you will find it EVERYWHERE in Miami. Plus they were great getting the car, giving directins, telling you where to go/how to find hot spots -they genuinely care to make your stay great. Just don't drive if you are too cheap to pay parking and go to the liquor store accross the street on the left of the hotel to stock up on alcohol, water, drinks, and munchies like I did to save on the mini-bar charges (what kind of a person pays for that stuff anyway?). Then get an ice bucket and use the glasses they provide for a cold drink - fancy that. The rooms have sinks, counter space and microwave (a mini kitchen that is spacious) and big soft, soft beds. It feels like a small apt. The beach in front is really nice. So is the pool and hot tub (its too hot to think of using a hot tub in Miami really anyway but it was never crowded if you want to use it. ) The great thing about the Roney is that you will receive great , speedy service. Trust me I know this because I spent the "business" portion of my trip at the boutique type "Savoy" hotel (about the same price as the Roney) Nice hotel but..Well, its on Ocean more near all the expensive shopping etc. in a NICE area BUT they sucked - no onsite parking $22 to park by yourself accross the street with NO help with bags, $8 to use minimal beach equipment, NO HOT TUB, slow incompetent desk people who couldn't find me a fork (said the restaurant was "closed" but when I went to look myself there wasn't even a door to the restaurant -just a sign saying "closed" so I walked right in and got a fork myself, they forgot to put robes in the room, couldn't tell us how to find a deli (found one 1 block away)...oh the list goes on. On the other hand... I realized 2 days after checkout that I lost my cell phone charger in my room at the Roney and all I had to do was call, they transfered me right away to the housekeeping dept. who promply answered, asked which room I was in, and found it just like that. They had it labled with room and date lost and in a bag waiting for me to claim it. That just sums up how easy they made things there. I went into EVERY hotel along Collins Ave. so I could see how I liked them and I was always glad to go back to the Roney. Some others looked (Delano/Shore Club)nice but rooms small or just too "swanky" for a real fun time without worrying if you look like "somebody". I loved the Roney. Check it out.

• Stayed January 2005, travelled on business