“OK - very basic”

The Beach Plaza Hotel
Ranked #183 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 5 February 2012

There were some issues during my stay, but there were also some positive things. I rely so much on other people's reviews when I'm deciding where to stay so I will try to keep this informative and balanced.

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend after a cruise. I had read a lot of mixed reviews so I was very hesitant about staying here, but my friend found a really good price online. Nothing else in the area even came close to that rate so we took a chance. The hotel has a pretty old and run-down feel. I know that this is the art deco district so a lot of the buildings are around the same age, but others we visited seemed brighter and better maintained.

The room was a good size and seemed pretty clean. The dark wood floors make the room feel darker and older. Flat-screen TV. Good AC, Decent bathroom and bath products. Didn't see any bugs. They have a policy where they only change linens and towels every 3 days. I asked to have my sheets changed after the first night because I noticed something weird on my sheets that resembled chewing gum as I was going to bed. It was on the other side of the bed but I still wanted new sheets the next day. This was not a problem.

My bed wasn't great. The mattress sagged almost to the floor and felt pretty uneven to sleep on, but there were protective mattress bags covering the mattresses (presumably to protect against bed bugs) so that was reassuring.

We were on the third floor but we still had a bit of street noise and a lot of noise from other guests coming home late at night. Nothing much can be done about that but you might want to bring earplugs.

The hotel is in a great location. Only 1 block to the beach and not a far walk to Lincoln Road. It's on a fairly quiet part of Collins Ave and after seeing how loud and crazy things can get on Ocean Drive, I was glad not to be staying there.

There is a very pleasant gentleman who opens the door during the day and helps with the bags. He was very friendly and had a positive attitude so I wanted to mention him.

Our first night we had an issue with our toilet. It didn't flush at all. The man who works the desk at night was pretty useless. He told us there was nothing he could do and tried to blame the problem on us. He said that it was our fault for using toilet paper. This man insisted that we shouldn't be using toilet paper and we should be throwing out toilet paper in the garbage. We asked if we could change rooms to one with a working toilet. He told us that all the toilets in the hotel were the same and that we could use the toilet in the hotel lobby but it wouldn't be any different. (The lobby toilet works fine - even with toilet paper.) He was very unpleasant.

If you have any problems or issues try to have them addressed during the day shift. In the morning we spoke to Mr Jose at the front desk. He acknowledged the problem and had it fixed right away. Thank you Mr Jose!

I had some concerns about the elevator also. It is small and seems kind of rickety. There is a sign saying that it only holds 3 people at a time. Then I noticed that the elevator inspection certificate was expired which made me a little more uneasy about it. Although we were on the third floor, we didn't have a lot of luggage so we just took the stairs.

The resort fee seems pretty standard in South Beach. I would prefer if they just included that amount in the cost of the room. Breakfast wasn't great but it was enough to get us through until lunch - juice, coffeee/tea, a piece of fruit, a packaged muffin or danish, yogurt and a small rubbery bagel (slightly better when toasted). South Beach is pretty pricey so not having to go out for breakfast was nice. My only real complaint about the breakfast is that it ends too early in the morning. If people are on vacation they might want to sleep past 9 AM and breakfast is shut down promptly at 9:30.

I can't comment on the wine in the afternoon because we missed it both days. I think the resort fee also covers the WiFi which seems to only work in the lobby area. I don't think they have a good enough router for the size of the hotel. The signal is pretty weak.

They provided beach towels every day which is also covered by the "resort fee". We did use the towels and maybe if you add up all those things it might come to $13/day but again, I wish it was just included in the cost of the booking so you don't feel like you're being ripped off by "extras" that you don't really need. On the plus side, the resort fee is per room and not per person.

We did find a very low rate for our stay which is the only reason we ended up staying here. There are nicer places in the area. For a short stay at a very low price it is OK but I doubt I would stay again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor if you can, but still bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank staciusa
vpowe002, General Manager at The Beach Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you for staying with us. Like many hotels, we do have a green program in our housekeeping department. However, we are glad to change your sheets daily at your request. Our elevator is historic yet well-maintained. We have noted your comments and have already made changes such as extending the breakfast hours. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

I really don't see any reason to complain about this one. South beach plaza Hotel is a nice choice,the hotel is in a great location n not waste your money. It was quiet, and nice. We were given a villa with full kitchen, king bed was firm and very comfortable n Wifi.

The hotel is nice n the room were clean and not a BUG in sight. All staffs was very friendly and courteous. We were always greeted with a smile and was very helpful with helping us get around and recommending things to do. Also the hotel have towel beach for borrow.

The hotel provided a continental breakfast is very basic but its quite nice eating breakfast n nice value ; toast, orange juice, tea, coffee, fruit, muffins, bagel with jam, yoghurt.

We really enjoyed on our vacation. It's in the middle of everything: For local food, just walk over one block to Washington Avenue. Want more glamour and entertainment, walk one block to Ocean Drive. a block to the south beach within a 10 mins walk to shopping area; Collins Ave; Zara, Banana republic, Aldo, A/X n more.Further, only 10 mins walk to n Lincon rd mall.

Overall, we were very enjoyed to stay, Nice experienced. Good Choice. Not waste our money. Just remember that you really do get what you pay for.

1  Thank Kaala12

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your kind comments. Please come visit with us again soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Booked w/ all taxes and fees included and prepaid. At check in was told they would charge an additional "resort fee" (now $13/day). Tried to waive it; told it was mandatory. Stuck because hotel was prepaid and cancellation would take full amount.

Desk lamp and shower head broken, old TV. Noisy place. Packaged muffins for breakfast. Maid got to our room at 3:30, gave her the trash and told her to forget about the rest.

Plenty of other hotels in the area, book with an honest one, not these guys.

3  Thank Tom C

Thank you for staying with us. Like many hotels, our hotel charges a daily resort fee. It includes muffins, bagels, fresh fruit, yogurts, juices, oatmeal, tea and coffee, as well as daily beach towels, internet access, room safe, wine reception, free local and toll-free calls. This is a fee that is paid directly to our hotel and is not included in the rate and hence cannot be prepaid through a third party. This fee is advertised extensively through our hotel's website and that of our travel agents. All rooms cannot be serviced at the same time; hence if a guest prefers early service, we are more than happy to fulfill this request as soon as we are informed.

Reviewed 1 February 2012

This place is clean, is in a very convenient location, service was good, rooms were well decorated. I really don't see any reason to complain about this one. I'm surprised by the number of negative reviews. Good sandwhich place right across the street. Parking ramp is one block over on 13th street. Of course, the incredible beach is right behind it. If I ever return to Miami i'll waste no time in booking here.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank hansi74

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide such kind feedback. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 10 January 2012

The hotel is in a great spot, walking distance to see everything south beach has to offer. The check in was smooth and the room was nice and clean.

My only complaint was the fact that the south side of the hotel backs onto an alley that @7am, a linen supply truck and garbage trucks back into. VERY LOUD and unpleasant version of an alarm. If you stay ask for a room that is not along this alley.

1  Thank Ryan S

Thank you for staying with us. We are pleased to hear that you had a great stay. The alley is used by companies to deliver items to hotels in the area. It is a necessary evil. Please come back and visit with us soon!