“Unfair rates. Will never stay there again!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beacon Hotel

Ranked #51 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Charleston, South Carolina
“Unfair rates. Will never stay there again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

At check in, our friends checked in first. They had decided to get a less expensive room, non-ocean front. They were upgraded to a two room ocean view suite. My husband and I had decided we wanted ocean front and booked accordingly. When we checked in we were given the room type that we booked, no upgrade. When I asked why the other couple had received an upgrade they just replied sometimes they do that. I requested that we at least be charged the same rate they were paying. They said that they couldn't do discounts. They can do upgrades but no discounts! After several conversations, they gave us free parking. We didn't have the car, the other couple did. They also gave us two free drinks from the bar. The drinks were 6 oz drinks as opposed to the normal 16 oz one would have gotten if they were paying. What a joke! At check out I had decided that I would not mention this and leave quietly. The counter clerk that had checked us in was working the desk. He brought up the situation and tried to explain why this happened. At that point I had heard it all and just walked out. In the end, our travel mates got a two room suite and we "got what we paid for" according to the hotel. They paid approximately $70.00 less than we did. This is a very bad business practice. In our check out paperwork the hotel placed a card for TripAdvisor. I told them I would make sure to write a review. Hopefully, this will keep others from getting short changed like we did.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are very noisy until after midnight. They have live music playing directly under...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jenny S
SOBE720, Guest Relations Manager at Beacon Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Jenny S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Beacon Hotel. We are sorry to hear that you felt cheated on the room rate you paid for an ocean Front room. After carefully checking your reservation I found out that you were actually given an Ocean front room that you booked. It is a common practice at the Beacon hotel to randomly select a guest to upgrade in respective of the rate they are paying. I am sorry we did not pick you, had we known you were travelling together we would have given you the upgrade.
We at the Beacon Hotel encourage our entire guest to post a review even not too favorable to us as a team. This is the only way we can improve on our services so we really appreciate you saying out your mind. Again there was no way for us to know that you were not the once with the car Hire. However I want to promise you that if you ever make a reservation at the Beacon hotel in the future, I will personally make sure you get an upgrade from the room type you booked. Please contact me directly when next you are ready for your next trip to Miami and I will personally take care of your reservations needs at 305-674-8200 or Derek@beaconsouthbeach.com
Again, sincere apologies for any inconvenience you suffered as a result of this, during your stay with us. I look forward to hearing from you if there is anything else you will like us to do.

Beacon Hotel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Finnish first
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We had a wonderful stay - great, clean rooms...very pretty lobby and super friendly staff. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect location!!! The little extras really added up to make this an awesome, and easy trip - free full breakfast, coffee in the lobby, beach chairs and towels for us to use, valet parking...those little things put together with the cleanliness of room, lobby and awesome staff make me give a 5 star rating to the Beacon

Dear Heather R,
We will like to thank you for taking the time and for writing all this beautiful words qualifying the Beacon hotel and the services provided you while on vacation. It was a pleasure to have you in the house and we feel blessed you been part of the Beacon Hotel family. Please do not hesitate should you need anything from the hotel or help making your next reservation at 305-674-8200 or Derek@beaconsouthbeach.com
305-674-8200
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

10 guys from the UK had a great trip; the hotel is in the perfect location right on Ocean Drive, South Beach right in the centre of the action and right on the beach. You can still get a good nights sleep as you don't hear the restaurant/bars/clubs from your room. The rooms were clean and comfy with an excellent maid service each day plus the complimentary breakfast was pretty good too. Most importantly the staff at The Beacon provide first class service with a smile and great attitude always going out of their way to make your stay more enjoyable.

Dear Tom,

It was a pleasure to host you and your group at the Beacon hotel, we are also thrilled that each member in your group was satisfied with the level of service provided and everything went as planned. We want to thank you for trusting in us all your fun activity coordination.

The pleasure was ours on your group’s level of conduct and appreciation of service provided you. We hope to host you again in the nearest future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any question or help making your next reservations at 305-674-8200 or Derek@beaconsouthbeach.com
Once again thank you for your comments on trip advisor

Derek Derefaka.
beacon Hotel
Flemington, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Let me begin by saying that I actually didn't stay here but my friends did and had two rooms there for the weekend. This place is in the middle of all the action, next to Wet Willy's and a few blocks from the Clevlander where you could catch us all dancing our brains off. The rooms are nice, the place looks clean and well maintained. The outside can look deceiving as with most places in Miami beach but this Ocean Dr property is well worth the extra costs. I know that the breakfast included is phenomenal and next time I visit this will be on the list of must gos. Too bad they don't offer airport shuttles like some of the other hotels around.

Dear Karson316,
We are pleased with the fact that you came into the Beacon Hotel to spend some time with friends and liked our property and its amenities. Your question or suggestion about the airport shuttle will be raised in next management meeting which comes up next week. But on the other hand we have a private shuttle company that provides pick- up from the various airports around Miami and Fort Lauderdale that we work closely with. They charge a fair rate for pickups and drop off. It is called South beach transportation in case of next time visiting Miami.
We are expecting to help make your future travel reservations for you at 305-674-8200 or Derek@beaconsouthbeach.com and it will be an honor to have you as one of our guest at the Beacon Hotel.
Once again thank you for your great comments about the Beacon and wishing you the Best of luck in all you do.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

My girlfriends and I (6 total) stayed at the Beacon for my friends 30th Birthday this past weekend. She lost her license at the airport and didn't realize until we got to the hotel. From start to finish the staff at the Beacon helped in every way that they could to make sure we had a great stay. Sabrina and Gus at the front desk were AWESOME!! Derrick helped us from day one until our last day with arranging limos to clubs, calling promoters for us and even making sure the boat ride we planned in advance was legitimate. We called down a few times for towels and other things we were always greeted nicely and the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. The rooms are the same size as all hotels on Ocean... Small... But do NOT let that stop you from booking this hotel! I have stayed at 5 other hotels in south beach and THIS hotel BY FAR was the best one yet! The hallway leading to our room actually smelled GREAT the entire time! New carpet throughout, complimentary tea and coffee daily, the free breakfast was YUMMY!!! No continental crap but real breakfast (omelets, waffles, french toast etc). Personally I am not always the easiest to please because I expect good service when I am paying for it but I have to admit that the hotel itself and the staff definitely amazed myself and each of my friends who stayed there!! When reading reviews I kept hearing location location which frightened me... Do not be alarmed the location is just ONE great aspect of this hotel!! I will stay here every time I return to South Beach!!! Keep up the amazing work!

Room Tip: Our room was 324!!!! Awesome room!!!! Clean, fresh and private!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shalanda I
Dear Shalanda I,
It was a pleasure to have you girls in the house, you definitely added some live to the Beacon hotel; we all enjoyed your presence at the Beacon Hotel. Your group was very awesome. I am happy you enjoyed your boat trip and the Birthday Celebration at the Beacon Hotel.
Your Kind words only will continue to be a source of encouragement for us in a longtime to come, to continue to provide the five diamond boutique hotel service we have promised our entire guest and beyond.
We are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast provide and pleased with the level of service at the restaurant. We look forward to hosting you and your friends in a longtime to come at the Beacon Hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact me or anyone of our staff members directly at 305-674-8200 or Derek@beaconsouthbeach.com