“Bed are Comfy happy hour is cool BUT”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #88 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This hotel is connected with another we stayed in the maxine building. I must say the food is good fair normal price for south beach.. But i say to much money for gloomy room Pricey Rooms. Let start with TV in maxine building is out of day on a leveler and is a CRT TV they wanted to charge us more to upgrade us to a flat screen tv. The catalina is nice out side look.. hallway are dark and smell damp. The good side is the Asian hotel which is also connected has a roof top pool very nice staff is very welcoming at all 3location.. The room is not what you would expect Bathroom has half of a door and shower head is horrible room best part really is the Bed and the pillows thank god!! also if your looking for a quite Hotel dont expect that here if your room is tours the front i didnt mind that as much as i did poor funeral feel room. happy hours is a plus but you can enjoy it if you stay at another hotel as is offer open and so is the pool. Hope this helps the next booker..

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Two of my girlfriends and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend for a quick girl's weekend in Miami. We were looking to relax and enjoy the Miami sunshine...I would say I was nervous about the hotel going into the weekend due to the recent poor reviews. The hotel was pretty much what TripAdvisor reviews notes, as follow:

* Location - Amazing! The hotel is right in the heart of South Beach and is a quick walk to the beach, boardwalk and Lincoln Drive (shopping and restaurants). Overall the location was just a perfect spot to stay to be close to everything.
* Hotel - The hotel was decorated very "clubby" and was definitely meant to be a party spot. We were told about drink specials, where to go out, etc. when checking in and had to walk through a bar to get to our room when coming in and out. The hotel was decent, not great, but from the outside all looks ok.
* Room - So while the room itself was pretty tiny and dark (we paid for Classic Comfort, a mid level room, I think), the main problem was the hallways which looked and felt old and not cared for and smelled HORRIBLE. Unfortunately, rather than just replace the carpet or just some kind of odor neutralizer, I think the hotel sprays deoderizer or perfume which just makes it all worse. We did ask for a quiet room and didn't have any problems in terms of noise, impact from the Reality TV show, etc.
* Pool - We went to the beach and only went to the Bamboo pool to pick up towels. This pool looked nice and quiet but didn't get much sun.
* Amentities - The use of the two beach chairs is wonderful as is the use of bikes. Also the prices on the mini-bar items are reasonable. One of our thoughts in staying here was the inclusion of the hotel shuttle (to and from the airport) in the price but unfortunately, the shuttle wasn't at the airport at the time we arrived (though it should have been) and was over 15 minutes late when we were leaving so we ended up paying for taxi's both ways...

Overall, the verdict on this hotel depends on what you're looking for. I would probably not stay there again but the location and the use of bikes and beach chairs, for a pretty decent price, may have made up for the remainder being just ok...

Room Tip: Request a quiet room!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I am going to cut straight to the chase. Why not to go there:
We stayed two nights in February 2012. As a fairly seasoned travellers, this was the worst value for money ever. At almost 700 euros per night, I was ready to cry when I saw the rooms. I would not recommend to pay even 100 USD for it, even considering it is South Beach and SB price-level (not that it is on the Beach, btw).

The rooms had been renovated so badly and so cheaply, it should be illegal. I would have done better paint job myself (and let me assure you my husband does the painting in our home). The rooms were dark and depressing.

The carpet on the hallways smelled so bad, it must be full of mildew.

The bar downstairs was quite noisy untill the wee-hours.

If you decide to go anyway:
+ The front desk staff was friendly and tried to help. They showed me a few different type of rooms, and offered a late check-out, but the only thing that would have satisfied me was EARLY check-out. Immediate, to be honest, but they could not refund anything from the fully pre-paid room rates.

+ The beds had Tempur bads.

+ It is rather close to the Lincoln Rd (restaurant and shopping street), and quite close to the beach as well.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eeva_xx
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I faced a big problem when I was trying to change the booking which I did through hotels.com. I wanted to move it forward one day. I was on phone with the one shift manager for half an hour and then with the other shift manager, who transferred me to central reservations, who asked me to ask hotels.com to call them. I had hotels.com people call them but still my reservation was not changed and I was forced to drive 4 hours from Orlando at night and got there at 4:00 in the morning.
It is on Collins Avenue two blocks away from Lincoln Avenue and South Beach. The rooms and bathrooms are updated and modern. I loved the shower. However, there was no bath tub in the room which was an issue when I tried to bathe my son. There was no fridge or micro wave in the room which can be a problem for people traveling with kids. When I asked for tooth paste at the front desk, I was told to buy it from Walgreens which is two blocks down. Since most hotels are able to provide such stuff, I was a little surprised.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank seharmd
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We had a room on the Maxine side and as many of the previous reviews noted it was a little dark and small, but authentic to the time period of its inception. Disappointed in the few TV channels in our room, but who comes to Sobe to watch TV, right? The bar staff were AWESOME, especially Meme, the maid service left a little to be desired in their timeliness, but the room was still cleaned each day, we would just have to call to get service. Our shower also flowed over into the bathroom part, but thru trial and error we learned if you place a towel at the step-in, it solved much of that issue. There was an unpleasant smell in a few locations near the restaurant, but nothing to upset the overall atmosphere. Loved the lived music each nite and even one morning at breakfast, and of course, the happy hour was a great time to meet other guests. TIP: During our stay the Maxine bar always used top shelf liquor, not so at the Catalina bar. The food was very good in the restaurant. There was a filmcrew there during our stay making a reality show, which made for interesting watching of their work, as they were everywhere 24 hours a day. The beaches were nice and just a short walk, they do charge $15 for an umbrella/2 chairs, but provided towels there and at the pools so it makes for one less thing to pack. The rooftop pool at the Dorsey was our favorite spot, just need to get a bed early as it filled up quick. The restaurants in the area were very pricey as were the clothing stores if you like to shop, but thanks to a local we met named Jordan, we were directed to a small, hole-in-the-wall eatery, called "Cafe Charlotte" which was just a short walk away on one of the off streets. Excellent food and very reasonable prices and a wonderful staff to match. They let us try some of their more unsual drinks w/o charge, and I would recommend their German beer. Also, several in our party had the Ribeye Marsala and it was great.

Overall, it was a great stay and would do it all over again!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family