5,110 results
All reviews rooftop pool happy hour maxine building kung fu south beach free drinks sushi restaurant free shuttle free beach chairs bachelorette party lincoln road ocean drive art deco dorset maxines bartender miami
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Spent 2 nites at the Catalina in their Maxine building. LOVE THIS HOTEL! My friends and I went to celebrate my 60th birthday & I felt right at home with all of the younger people. The staff couldn't have been more anxious to please. I made my reservations directly with the South Beach Hotel Group reservations office because I had been misled about what several properties offered when I tried search engine sites. I wanted to talk to someone that has been to the property. I was lucky & booked the hotel room with an amazing representative named Jessica. Told her we wanted a pool (this hotel has TWO) location near Lincoln, Good restaurants, etc. She recommended the Catalina (which I had initially passed on) WOW! So grateful to Jessica for knowing the properties and caring about guests needs. The room was very nice, 2nd fl. overlooking the Bamboo Pool. I recommend the King instead of the DBL. Our room was too small because we chose 2 beds. The restaurants were so AWESOME we never went anywhere else. They had amazing menus and fabulous HAPPY HOUR SPECIALS, even free drinks 2or 3 hrs a night. We especially loved the Sushi restaurants happy hour, Great $5.00 drinks & specials on fancy sushi rolls (very fresh and delicious) The Tilapia Special and the Catalina Salad at the outdoor restaurant at the Maxine building were enough to make me book another trip there.
Awesome Staff, Great atmoshere. Excellent location, secure buildings, 2 Magnificent pools, 24 hr. restaurants, free drinks...if they had a Hot Tub I would have thought I was in Heaven!!
Definitely check out this gem in SouthBeach (and book your room with Jessica, she knows how to get you the right hotel for your needs.

Room Tip: We loved the location of the Classic comfort on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool. Next time will book a King Room instead of the 2 beds. Two beds took up too much space.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Phillygirl411
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The offer a 1 hour happy hour for guest, free beach chairs to relax. Restaurants on site have good food & one is open 24hrs. Close to the local shopping area & if you don't want to walk rent a bike from concierge!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank MsMomo2U
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I booked the Catalina Hotel and Beach Club on the website a month in advance for a conference at the Convention Center. I had a horrible stay at your hotel and will never return. My disgust started with check in, when we were taken over to the Dorset (sister hotel I assume). Smelled like stale air and tobacco smoke. Floor in room was sticky from who knows what?? The only nice thing was the mattress and the location of your hotel in South Beach.

Lastly, there were mice running around by outside seating/dining which was the last drawl for us. When we checked out the next AM (originally was staying for 3 days), the on duty Manager was rude. My $271.68/night was better spent across the street at Shore Club Hotel!!!

Room Tip: Bring room santizer
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Rdimas
Reviewed 23 April 2012

So I emailed the hotel about my dreadful stay after my trip and didn't receive a response. I went here to be worry free and sleep and relax and my stay was just the opposite. If I were there to party it may have gotten a higher score.This hotel is not for those who want peace and quiet and good service (no housekeeping at 6am) in the morning.

For party-goers and vacationers this hotel isn't bad (happy-hour, shuttle to clubs, in-house dj). Credit card (not bank account card) use is recommended as they seem to make imprints of your card at the front desk and the restaurant. Below is the email I sent the hotel which explains all my qualms, to include the fire alarm going off.

"I'm not really sure who to be more upset with, the hotel or myself. I read reviews saying stay away from this hotel if you are on business, then I read a response from the hotel that stated they have quiet rooms just request one. One guy said that the hotel reeked of "smoke" with a response from management that the building is none smoking so that certain "smoke" smell could not have been the case. I read another review about great customer service and when I called before booking the lady gave me all attitude like she was too busy to answer my questions and instead of letting all those things deter me I said give this place a shot. You are ranked number 40 on trip-advisor, the price was reasonable and there were also good reviews. My goal on this trip was have a good meal, a very needed restful sleep, a calm quiet morning and a short commute to work. The only thing I achieved was a short commute to work.

I arrive, the front desk agent is very personable and nice. I requested a quiet room as I really just wanted to sleep. I explained what I read on the website and what the lady on the phone told me about requesting a business quiet room. The room he gives me is on the first floor next to the bathroom. I go into the room stand for a few minutes to see if it is quiet and it's not. I can hear people walking above me, the individuals in the hall way, the galley way bathroom and I'm afraid what I would have heard around 2am when the drunk people started hauling in. I go back and ask another gentleman for a different room on a higher floor, in the back,away from traffic! He says the only other room he has is on the second floor, two doors away from the elevator. I decide to take that room as I would at least alleviate people walking above my head. When I walk in, the old school air conditioner is on full blast and the room is cold. I turn it to warm which decreases the noise the machine makes but when I return for bed, I turn it lower so I don't burn in my sleep. At this point I can hear every thing- lobby music, people walking, chatter, outside, some weird ticking noise that makes me think someone is trying to come in my room. As I lay in bed, I consider calling the front desk for another room but I remember the 2nd gentleman told me they had nothing left. Even though I tossed most of the night due to noise the bed was comfortable. When things settled down and I finally hit some good sleep, the FIRE alarm goes off. Honestly this is a first and I was scared! I didn't know what to do, should I grab all my stuff, run out as is, just lay there and hope to be taken as I am still tired and for all this I could have just went home and done better. Anyway, your emergency plans should be updated. The framed 100 time photocopied floor plan should be redone with some true "exit in case of emergency plans." When I get down stairs no one is at the front desk. The man eventually comes back, turns off the alarms and makes a phone call. I guess alerting the authorities that some one was smoking in the room. He gets off the phone and doesn't really address us to let us know that there is no need to worry. After he goes through the line of people and they have left I ask him if this has ever happened before and he said not while he was here and basically continues like nothing just happened. I was scared for my life, no one knew what to do, where to go, if we should grab our stuff from our room-nothing! I'm still trying to figure out how much smoking he was doing for it to cause such a panic.

I go back to my room, wishing I could go back to sleep but I can't so I watch TV. Around 640am, I call down and no one answers. I call 2 more time and the same outcome. I have to once again go back down. There are two individuals standing there, one just seems to be twiddling his thumbs. I ask for a shower cap. He go looks for one in the office but he says they didn't leave any. I ask is there housekeeping? He tells me housekeeping doesn't come in until 9am! WHAT! This is a hotel, why is housekeeping not available in the early morning, the time of the day where people need items to shower and freshen up and go to work-handle business? By this time I am infuriated but I just walk away as I don't want to take my negative experience at this hotel out on one person. I can't get my hair wet but I have to shower so I figure use a towel. First towel I undue has a couple of brown hairs inside, mine is black. Took a picture to prove this. I find one that is clean, it is not like I could get a whole new batch anyway- no housekeeping. I eventually shower using this inconvenient ceiling shower head, yet don't manage to keep my hair dry. Looks like I'll have to pay to get this fixed. If you are going to do "upscale" decorating have upscale, around the clock services as well.

I'm finally leaving and decide that I'll drop off my keys to the front desk, didn't want them to go to waste. I assume that since Catalina took an imprint of and reserved $100 on my card at check in, that I didn't need to provide my card or do anything except say put it on the card I used for check in. (As instructed when i checked in) Oh, but was I wrong! The angry lady that must have answered the phone when I called to have valet pull my car around tells me she needs it. I have to drop all my bags and shuffle for this card for her to basically do the same thing the guy did when I checked in. Please explain why all these imprints of my card are needed? Why must my whole credit card number be on this slip? This is how people's identities get compromised and I think this practice should be changed. I know the lady can tell I have an attitude by now but I just grab my stuff and walk away. I get my car from the valet and there is a pretzel bag in my front seat. I do not eat pretzels, I have not eaten pretzels, no one that I have rode with has eaten pretzels, so please explain to me why there is a pretzel bag in my front seat? I'm not far from thinking that someone decided to have a late night snack, ride, chill session in my car. I didn't even check my gas or other items becuase by this time I know it could only get worse.

I know I have written a lot about my hotel experience but I didn't want to interrupt that to tell you about my dinning experience yesterday at your restaurant- Maxine Restaurant at the Catalina Hotel & Beach Club

Not to prolong this email I will make this short:
1. I was seated outside-no one greeted me for at least 5 minutes.
2. I went to the hostess to be moved inside- greeted by my server with-in 2 minutes
3. Needed time to comb the menu so I ordered water. Made my decision, while in the process of telling the girl what I wanted before I could finish giving her every thing she starts walking off. I say I'm not done- I still have questions and need other stuff.
4. She has my order, I go to the bathroom, come back my alcoholic drink is sitting on my table. I don't understand why she couldn't wait until I came back to sit my drink down in front of me. I don't know how long it has been sitting there, I don't know if someone came by and dropped something in there, I don't know if someone tried tasting it. I looked to see if she were watching it for me but nope, not in sight.
5. I ordered a burger, medium, would settle for medium well, however its 4 seconds away from being over cooked. This supposed to be side salad with italian dressing is missing the dressing but not the wilting lettuce. This is probably why my order took 15 plus minutes to be served. I understand and appreciate made to order establishments but it's a burger and fries and your restaurant isn't near capacity. Half the people in the restaurant where there eons before me so I would like to say my food took forever not because there were 50 tickets in front of me but some employees doing.

I must say the burger was Great, Kudos to that.

An imprint of my card was also on the bill she brought back; the front desk I can fathom but not the restaurant.

I didn't speak to a manager on my trip because I was so enraged when all I wanted this experience to be was relaxing. When i get upset I tend to cry and i didn't want to cause a flood in the lobby. Often times when you speak to people in the moment no compromise is made, and the House ends up winning. I didn't come into this experience with high expectations but I didn't think I would just fully waste my hard earned money on something that was created to accommodate people. I have to pay a resort fee and yet there wasn't much relaxation offered. I partook in the simplest of things at this hotel and was meet with lackluster performance at each turn. I'm sure you understand my frustrations and can sympathize, but that is not enough. As I am calmer, I hope that this experience can be discussed and some sort of compromise can be made."

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Gowithyourgut
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed at Catalina for 5 nights and it was absolutely worth it. At first, when we walked into the reception we were quite sceptical, thinking of the red lather sofa and the pink cow carpet. But that's how South Beach is. The staff was friendly and positive. The stay included sun beds at the beach, beach towels, bicycles, happy hour (free drinks) and somuch more. The location was great. In the middle of pretty much everything. The hotel did also have two swimming pools. One in the backyard and one at the roof. As well as a couple of restaurants and a few bars.
I hade a great stay! Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2012