5,085 results
All reviews rooftop pool happy hour maxine building kung fu south beach free drinks sushi restaurant free shuttle free beach chairs bachelorette party lincoln road ocean drive few blocks beach towels art deco dorset maxines
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights just last week. I don't have eought space here to list all of my complaints about this hotel, so I will stick with the top issues. First of all, while our room, which was in the Maxine building was updated and appeared to be clean on the surface, was completely disgusting with a closer look. The hallways are dark and musty smelling, you can barely see the person next to you in the hall. There were tiny black and red bugs all over the bathroom, including on the towels, which are stored under the sink on a rack. We called the front desk, who send a guy with some bug spray to our room, and he just sprayed the corners around the floor. Needless to say, the bug never left. I kept taking our towels off the covered cart in the hallway because there weren't bugs in those. 2 of the original 'clean' towels left for us in the bathroom looked at is they had been used by someone with heavy makeup, then just folded up and left for the next guest. The bed sheets appeared to be clean, the bed was comfortable...probably the only plus to our stay here. The second day there, we noticed the little bugs on the dresser that they have the mini bar and snack tray stored on. When I called the front desk to request another room, we were told there weren't any rooms in our building and we would have to move to another building that didn't have updated bathrooms...don't get me started on those. All I can say is, our friends were in one of those, and the bathrooms were dirty, tile and grout stained, and it smelled like sewage.
Second issue...the parking. When we booked this hotel almost 6 months ago, they advertised $25 parking/ night. When we got there, we were greeted with valet only at $32/ night as our only option. Ridiculous. Bait and switch.
Third issue...they are filming a reality show for the CW at this hotel. In the lobby we were met by a lobby FULL of camera, people with headsets on, etc. We would not have been able to use the lobby even if we wanted to. We actually had one girl that was helping film shoosh us to be quiet. They are filming the staff here who are a bunch of obnoxious and slutty looking little teenage girls who are rude to the guests and are trying to act as cute as they can for the cameras. We were bombarded by clip boards in our face with them trying to get us to sign papers so they could film us throughout our stay, otherwise they would have to search for us in clips to blur our faces...poor them. I declined just to spite them. We were not allowed to use the rooftop pool during our stay, or the other side of the roof with the lounge chairs. The staff from the series had completely taken it over and the hotel had placed 'pool closed' signs all around the roof by the entrance. We were only 'allowed' to use the bamboo pool...paying guests feeling as if they are in jail.
DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. BEWARE! Dirty, rude, complete bait and switch!

Room Tip: If you want an updated bathrooms, even though they all have bugs, stay in the Maxine building. The only people who can get rooms in this building are people who book through their website though.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank AmandaM333
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Good Afternoon Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback!
I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us!
In regards to the customer service that you were given when you called the front desk for assistance with the insects- I am going to personally speak with the front desk manager to make sure that staff is aware of how to handle situations and to make sure that they are giving our guest only the most amazing customer service.
We are currently working on adding lighting to the hallways and we are doing odor eliminating procedures to make sure that all hallways smell great!
I apologize greatly about the shooting of the show.
I would love to offer you a complimentary 1 night stay to use in the future, so that you can come back and experience what The Catalina is like without any issues or inconveniences.
Please let me know if you would like that and I will send over a gift certificate immediately.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We were a family of 4 adults staying for 5 nights in the Maxine building. Overall, it served its purpose well. The proximity to the beach and thethe rest of SoBe was excellent and the beach club was great. The room was a tight squeeze for 4 adults, and the bathroom would have been small for even 2 adults. But our room was very quiet in the back of the hotel, and the tempurpedic beds made for a great night's sleep. Probably would not stay again, but for the money and location it was a good value.

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank ebra17

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I would love for you to give us another try the next time you are on South Beach. Please let me know if you ever plan to come to Miami again and I will make sure that you get the best!! :)

Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel is actually two buildings managed together very close to 'the action' of South Beach.

Location is great. One block away from the beach and close walking distance to all the bars and restaurants.

I checked in, with two colleagues, as we were in miami for the weekend and did not want to stay close to the airport.

This is a hotel ideal for young couples wanting to party; probably less so for a group of business colleagues.

When we checked in, we were welcomed by a TV crew filming a reality show "The Catalina". We were asked if we wished to join the show.

There is no parking, so you either valet park (USD 32 per night) or find parking yourself.

Check in was efficient, if a little impersonal.

The rooms were in a separate building. They are large enough and comfortable. The shower and sink is clearly designed for a "Beach hotel", tiled and actually part of the bedroom.

The snack and mini-bar selection is the best I have ever seen in a hotel; clearly designed for partying.

TV was the usual multi-channel flat screen US TV.

We found the rooms a little noisy, with partygoers returning up until 0400 am.

The second night we were there, the TV

Overall, the hotel was clean and efficient. We found it better for young couples than business stays and we also found the service a little impersonal.

Room Tip: The third floor is a little quieter
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank markjholloway

Good Afternoon Mark from Thailand :) ,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! Sounds to me like you had an overall good time with us! We look forward in having you stay with us again sometime soon!!

Have an amazing day!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at the Catilina Maxine, we were directed to our room, this proved to be the wrong one ! We then moved to the "up-graded" room in the Maxine.
This was supposed to be a family room as there were two adults and two teenage children.
We were very disappointed with the size of the room and the cramped conditions, the room was cleaned and towels changed infrequently. Opening the curtains, we looked out on the building site next door and the rear of a building to the back.
Staff were not friendly and it seemed at times too much trouble to attend to us!
Breakfasts were expensive.
We had visits from cockroaches both in the bathroom and bedroom areas, not good at all !!
Location was the best feature as you are in the centre for all things but overall very, very disappointing and we will not recommend this hotel to any of our friends who are due to visit soon.

Room Tip: Don't stay there, choose another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Rob D

Good Afternoon Rob,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us! I am going to personally speak with the managers of all departments to make sure that all employee's are aware of the customer service that we provide to our guests! I would love for you to come back and experience The Catalina without any issues or inconveniences. Please contact me personally at: catalinamarketing@southbeachgroup.com and I will send you a gift certificate for a complimentary 1 night stay.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

"I've been going to Miami Beach since 1982 and I just had my best time! Thanks to the awesome staff. Everyone there, 'Thanks!' Shuttle to and from! Happy Hour 7-8pm. Bikes. Pools. Action. Drinking. Dancing. Drinking. Pooling. Swimming. Biking. Shopping. Dining. Drinking. Next day: Do it again! I Love Miami Beach and I Love this hotel for making my trip to South Beach exactly what a Miami Beach Experience should be! My Wife loved it! Romantic. Sunny. Just right. As I've said, I've been coming here for a long time and where the hotel is located on South Beach is the perfect location: If you bike, as close to the most awesome bike path ever; very beginning of Lincoln Road for shopping; just above Ocean Drive; and One block from the Atlantic. I like things a little 'hipper' and this hotel has created a very comfortable laid back but efficient atmosphere. I just really like their presentation. Thanks again to all. I'd advise staying here. Go with the flow. Remember, 'I'm in Miami Beach'."

Room Tip: Get the Penthouse with the Deck, Man!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Good Afternoon James,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad to read that you had the best time while staying with us! :) Did you enjoy drinking for free for 1 hour? :) Most of our guests love that one hour!! :) Sounds to me, like you took full advantage of Miami Beach and had an awesome time!!! That's what it's all about!