New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #80 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Our 10 day holiday”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at the Catilina Maxine, we were directed to our room, this proved to be the wrong one ! We then moved to the "up-graded" room in the Maxine.
This was supposed to be a family room as there were two adults and two teenage children.
We were very disappointed with the size of the room and the cramped conditions, the room was cleaned and towels changed infrequently. Opening the curtains, we looked out on the building site next door and the rear of a building to the back.
Staff were not friendly and it seemed at times too much trouble to attend to us!
Breakfasts were expensive.
We had visits from cockroaches both in the bathroom and bedroom areas, not good at all !!
Location was the best feature as you are in the centre for all things but overall very, very disappointing and we will not recommend this hotel to any of our friends who are due to visit soon.

Room Tip: Don't stay there, choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rob D
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Good Afternoon Rob,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us! I am going to personally speak with the managers of all departments to make sure that all employee's are aware of the customer service that we provide to our guests! I would love for you to come back and experience The Catalina without any issues or inconveniences. Please contact me personally at: catalinamarketing@southbeachgroup.com and I will send you a gift certificate for a complimentary 1 night stay.

Have a great day!

Katrine
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

"I've been going to Miami Beach since 1982 and I just had my best time! Thanks to the awesome staff. Everyone there, 'Thanks!' Shuttle to and from! Happy Hour 7-8pm. Bikes. Pools. Action. Drinking. Dancing. Drinking. Pooling. Swimming. Biking. Shopping. Dining. Drinking. Next day: Do it again! I Love Miami Beach and I Love this hotel for making my trip to South Beach exactly what a Miami Beach Experience should be! My Wife loved it! Romantic. Sunny. Just right. As I've said, I've been coming here for a long time and where the hotel is located on South Beach is the perfect location: If you bike, as close to the most awesome bike path ever; very beginning of Lincoln Road for shopping; just above Ocean Drive; and One block from the Atlantic. I like things a little 'hipper' and this hotel has created a very comfortable laid back but efficient atmosphere. I just really like their presentation. Thanks again to all. I'd advise staying here. Go with the flow. Remember, 'I'm in Miami Beach'."

Room Tip: Get the Penthouse with the Deck, Man!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Good Afternoon James,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad to read that you had the best time while staying with us! :) Did you enjoy drinking for free for 1 hour? :) Most of our guests love that one hour!! :) Sounds to me, like you took full advantage of Miami Beach and had an awesome time!!! That's what it's all about!

Have a great day!

boston, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is my second time staying at the Catalina. Once was 6 years ago. It is a decent place for the money, pool, happy hour, great rooms, great area. The only thing is the common area decor and carpeting is literally out of the seventies - shag carpeting, eclectic, white leather. Dark hallways. This is pretty much how it was 6 years ago as well. I never felt in danger or anything like that though.
The rooms themselves I would say are ABOVE PAR - and much better than you would expect when first entering the lobby. Tempurpedic mattresses, rainmaker shower heads, finished wood floors, mini-fridge, robes, classy and thought-out decor. I travelled by myself to Miami at the last minute and only stayed at the Catalina one night. I paid under $100 for a budget room and was upgraded immediately to the "Rock" room. Large - 2 double beds, desk. Felt very nice for the price, and I really appreciated the upgrade. Though be aware these ROCK rooms are pretty much attached to the bar which is open to 4am, and the pool area which (which closes at dusk). Even though I am older (42) I still enjoyed and was able to sleep.
They also had bikes available to borrow between 10am and 6pm which was great when I just wanted to cruise the area without having to kill my legs and feet (which I eventually did at night anyway!).
The resort fee of $15 covered the bikes whether you use them or not, as well as happy hour. The prices here were so low I didn't complain about the resort fee. Apparently the resort fee represents a portion of the room you DONT have to pay tax on, so that is their way of getting the value of the room, and you getting to pay less room tax.
The location is truly across Collins Drive to the beach. The hotel lends out towels and chairs but it was so freakin' windy (30 mph) that I just walked the beach quickly.
You are also quite close to Lincoln Rd which is the upscale eating and shopping area. I felt safe walking around both day and night.
Getting to Ocean Drive and the party scene was a decent 10-15 min walk. I've stayed before down 15th St, 10th St and 7th Street and I can say I 17th St is one of the better areas, especially if you are all set with the drunken crowds of twenty-somethings. Catalina is up near Delano and other high-end ocean front resorts so you get a different crowd.
The airport flyer let me off at 18th st - so for $2.40 I got from the airport to my hotel in about 20min. I didn't bother waiting for the hotel shuttle which is free, because it was in a separate part of the airport from the rest of the ground transport, and it doesn't run as frequently as the flyer. Theres no way to know when the next one is coming, and how many hotels it has to stop at before it gets to yours.
I found the hotel service to be decent, though it was a slow day. Concierge was a little slow but someone else immediately stepped in to make sure I was ok. Valet and bell-hops were great.
They have a great little breakfast bar with Starbucks coffee and snacks (which you pay for).
I was thinking of staying another night, and saw a rate of $69 on the Catalina website for the "It's a small world" room. I waited till noon day of to decide, and then it was gone. I did stay another night in the area at the Beach Plaza for $99, and I have to say, Catalina was far superior in every way.
Overall great place for what I spent. I would spend up to $150 for one of the larger rooms if I were sharing, $125 for single. More than that I'd stay at one of the more budget places, and spend more time shopping and on the beach.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: young party people will love the rock rooms, everyone else ask for other rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Good Afternoon Betti,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read. We are working on changing the carpet at the moment as well as adding more lighting to the guest rooms and the hallways. Everyone loves our mattresses- how could you not! They are amazing!! :) Where did you cruise to on the beach cruiser? See anything interesting? :) We do have a $15 resort fee that is for the Wi- Fi, cocktail hour from 7-8PM, beach chairs on the beach, beach cruisers, etc. I am very glad to hear that overall you had a great stay and time!! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Have a wonderful day!

Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Let me start by saying I would have given this hotel a higher rating had it not been for the inconvenience of a reality show being filmed in the hotel which caused several issues during our stay. The hotel itself was nice, except it is a little weird to have to go through a sushi restaurant to get to your room. But as far as South Beach location goes, this is a great spot.

We booked a girls weekend trip for my bachelorette party. I was not the planner so the cost is something I am unable to speak to. Upon our arrival, the valet was HORRIBLE but it turns out they are an outside company. The hotel was very apologetic and even comped the valet fees due to the poor experience so we were quite satisfied with that. The room was nice, decorated very nicely, with great water pressure in the shower unlike the majority of SoBe hotels. There was a large window in the shower that let in far too much light in the AM after a late night, but other than that the room was fine.

The main problem was the reality tv show they were filming. We were at the rooftop pool (which is amazing) and ended up having to leave because they are filming some idiotic reality show for the CW. The show's crew was incredibly rude and basically acted like paying guests were an inconvenience. It was a major bummer for us because the rooftop was great. There are beds around the pool, and music playing, and a poolside bar that also has good food. Several other instances of filming around the hotel were a problem as well. Another thing that was so upsetting was the fact that the friend who planned the trip spoke to the hotel 3 times in the booking process and was NEVER told about the filming. Fair warning would have been appreciated.

The best part of the hotel was Robert on the Rooftop! He was GREAT! If you were to look up "great customer service representative" in the dictionary I am pretty sure you would find his picture. He is by far the best thing the Catalina has to offer. Take some time to chat with him, he's a great person!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amanda C
Good Afternoon Amanda,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am sorry to read that you had a bad experience with the valet service, but I am glad that hotel took care of the parking fee's for you to compensate for the negative experienced! In regards to the shooting of the show, I apologize that you had to experience that!! You should have gotten a warning about this. I will personally speak with Robert to let him know of your kind praise! He works extremely hard to get the kind feedback that he gets. Thank you so much once again for all of your constructive feedback!

Have a wonderful day!

New Milford, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and were very happy with the overall experience. Food at both restaurants was good, two very different types of pools, beach access very close and within walking distance or a short cab ride to main strip. Staff were very friendly and shuttle from and to airport is an added bonus if traveling that way as a car seems to be more of an issue than a benefit with the parking situation all around the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Good Afternoon Glenn,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback for all of our future guests to read. I am glad to read that you were happy with your stay! All of our guests that travel by plane love our R/T shuttle from Miami International Airport. You save $35, and who doesn't love to save money?? :) We hope to see you again sometime soon!