“Softest pillows ever!!”
Review of Chesterfield Hotel

Chesterfield Hotel
Ranked #72 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 24 April 2008

We were very pleasantly surprised by this sweet little place! We had booked our entire vacation online for the first time. We are not big travellers. The Chesterfield is a lovely little hotel in the midst of all the action in South Beach, which can be a noisy place at night.

Since we are in our 50's I think the staff were sensitive enough to know that we did not come to party and placed us in a room away from the bar and the noise. The room was quiet, with two double beds, a flat screen TV and robes. there was a small safe and a great bathroom. The decorating is bright and clean, as was the room.

On the way back from our cruise they gave us a suite with a king size bed and a jacuzzi and outside our door was a terrace with table and chairs and lounges.

Our experience was altogether wonderful and the staff were friendly. We paid ony 79.00 US per night!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 April 2008

I will TRY to be as objective with this review as possible - so I'll start with the benefits:

The location is great - one short block away from Ocean Drive. Wet Willies is virtually around the corner if you want to pick up a frozen daiquiri. It's also close to many great restaurants and the beach. If you're into action - it's a good place to be, as there is always something going on.

There are a couple of hotel staff members who are nice and helpful. When we ran out of towels, a nice gentleman went to another hotel nearby and got us brand new towels.

If you want a free drink, the hotel offers a limited selection at a specific time in the afternoon.

If you're into art deco, this hotel won't disappoint you.

Now for the drawbacks:

This hotel has a major problem with customer service. If you require next to nothing in the way of customer service - then this is the place for you. My only advice would be for you to hope that no issue arises during your stay that requires assistance from any hotel management. If you find yourself in that situation, prepare yourself for the worst.

I stayed with several girls at this hotel. Three girls in our group had various issues with hotel staff. My only issues were with the small bugs that were seemingly omnipresent in our room - so much so that I woke up with 2 insect bites on my leg after my first night stay. I also would have liked to have my room cleaned thoroughly. The maid service only made up our beds. I later found out that if you want your room cleaned, you have to put out the sign for maid service. If you don't put the sign up, it doesn't get done. I'm also a frequent traveler and admittedly a hotel snob. I like nice, luxurious rooms. I settled for this hotel because I was traveling with a group. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't have any wow factor. But that's just my own personal opinion.

Now - because of the issues with hotel staff and the girls I traveled with - everyone in our room was asked to leave. We had prepaid the hotel with cash - because of issues at check-in - and had 1 night's stay left in our reservation. Even though I had done nothing to cause being asked to leave - I wanted still wanted to be cooperative. So I left on condition that I would get a refund of the money I paid for the final night's stay. The manager on duty told me to call the regional manager - Chris Rollins - the following week to ask for a refund.

It's now been 1 week. I've left 2 voicemail messages and sent 2 e-mails to him and have not received any type of response. I've also completed a routine survey the hotel sent to me.

*IMPORTANT* Because of this issue, I went to the Better Business Bureau website to see what type of rating this hotel has. It's owned by South Beach Group - a company that owns a collection of boutique hotels in the South Beach area. Needless to say South Beach Group has an F rating and over 40 complaints against it over the past 3 years that have gone unanswered.

See Better Business Bureau link:

BUYER BEWARE! Book this hotel only if your stay is short or if you don't have ANY expectations or requirements with regard to customer service.

I am still waiting to hear from someone regarding my refund for my final night's stay. They are holding on to my money right now - money that I paid for a service I did not receive. In my opinion this is fraudulent. And trying to reach a member of management to discuss my issue is becoming a full time job.

I can't believe that a place like this is allowed to stay in business - the way it treats its customers. If you choose to stay here, I hope your experience is much better than mine.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2008

Chesterfield is located in a great location, right on Collins Dr (great shopping), close to the beach on Ocean Dr (10 steps), walkable distance to Washington dr (nightlife/restaurants/shopping). Great location for the price too. Rooms are tiny, there is no tub in the shower and after each shower the water is all over the bathroom floor. The hallways are a bit dark and dingy, the lobby is very modern and nice...happy hour is always packed. The maids do clean your room everday, and give you clean towels/soap etc.

Book the chestefield if you want cheap place to stay that would not give you any bed bug bites, and you just want a place to crash after being at the beach all day or partying all night.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2008

A group of nine of us decided to stay at the Chesterfield because someone in the group had stayed there before, and thought it would be nice. Unfortnautely, it was a horrible experience for all of us. It started when they charged one of my girlfriends card without her permission, which resulted in a lot of confusion. Next another group of my girlfriends who had booked their's through expedia experienced some issues and needed to speak to the manager. Well, she waited almost thrity minutes for the manager to appear and when she finally did she was nasty and rude as well. Two days later while we all were going to meet for breakfast, I was the first one to step outside of our hotel room and slipped and fell nearly half way down the steps, injuring my arm and buttocks because I was trying to hold on for dear life or else I was would have been at the bottom of the steps probably seriously injured or worse dead. Someone from the cleaning staff had clean the steps and mopped them with an oily substance. Once, I was able to get myself together I headed to the front office to speak with the manager but of course she was no were to be found. Later that morning I went back to the front desk and the manager was there and I told her, I wanted to fill out an accident report but, was told they didn't fill out accident reports and that I would have to go to the hospital if I wanted a report. She was even laughing while I was trying to explain what happened to me. Of course I became enraged with her and her staff because at that point she called the head cleaning man in charge and he informed them that there was nothing on the steps. Of course there wasn't because they had cleaned the steps up by the time I went back that second time to speak with the manager. Later in the day the manager and I bumped into each other as I was coming out the door and she was coming in the door. She accussed me of assulting her and called the police to try and have me arrested. I was no were to be found. It was only after I returned to the room that I found out that she wanted me and my other friends out of the hotel without giving us our money. Told us we needed to speak with the general manager on Tuesday about the issue. Our room never got cleaned unless one of us called to say we needed it to be done. and then they only changed the bedsheets and that was it. The trash in our room started to overflow and there were bugs flying around in our room. I would never recommend anyone staying there especially if they cared about their safety and well being. It needs to be closed down because of how its being managed.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2008

We booked the junior suite at the Chesterfield Hotel during the WMC in Miami. This is my eighth wmc and I am very familiar with the city and have stayed in numerous hotels.

Never in my eight years have I been treated as poorly as I have at the Chesterfield Hotel. We paid $510.00 PER night for this junior suite for a total of 6 nights.

1. The lock to our door was broken upon day 1. We realized that none of our keys worked whenever we would try and return to the room. We walked back to the front desk where they would re-key the cards but once again, the keys did not work.

It was confirmed by hotel personnel that our lock was "broken". How was this confirmed? It took maintenance 30 minutes to come to our room to swipe our lock. He sees it doesn't work and then just walks off. Appalled by his behavior, we go back to the front desk and he reassured us that if anything was stolen from our room, that the hotel would replace it. YEAH RIGHT.

2, We had one macbook pro along with a macbook totaling 3500.00 worth of computers and it would be highly unlikely for the hotel to replace our computers.

And btw, our safe did not work! GO FIGURE!

3. The only way to come back to our room was to climb the stairs to the balcony. How did we safeguard our room? My pushing the pull out couch against the door and leaving through the main door that did not work. This is how we came home every night for six nights. ABSOLUTELY DEPLORABLE.

4. Because our lock was "broken" we never got our room serviced ONCE. Never did management ask if we need our room serviced. We repeatedly asked for our room to be cleaned. We needed toilet paper and additonal towels but NOTHING. We had go to the front desk and ask for these things at a place where we were paying $510.00 a night.

5. They could not move us to another room because they were booked.

6. Valet at $30.00 bucks a night was atrocious. It took the hotel nearly an hour to bring around my car. Lord only knows what happened in the interim. Your best bet is to park at the convention center on 17th for 15.00 bucks a day.

7. Our telephone did not work. You could not dial out.

8. Our window was broken. You could not close it. The staff laughed and said "Yeah, the maintenance guy broke the lever.". No one in our party laughed. Instead, we were stuck with a window that didn't close.

9. I was covered in bed bugs by the second night of the trip. Absolutely disgusting. And yes, I reiterate that we paid $510.00 PER NIGHT and prepaid before we even arrived at the hotel.

10. The toilet clogged every other flush.

Our stay was an absolute disaster. We are all in our twenties and the loud noises did not bother us. However, the hotel was absolutely disgusting.

The chesterfield has extremely poor customer service and practice unsavory ethics. As guessed, the manager was "unavailable" for us to speak too as we were checking out.

Upon contacting the manager, we were offered ONE free night on our next visit. I can guarantee that if we were to take this offer that they would not honor this offer.

No apologies from the hotel.
NOTHING.

Do not stay here. I have been treated better at the Best Western on 14th and Washington and that hotel is a fraction of the cost of what we paid at the Chesterfield.

SHAME ON YOU CHESTERFIELD AND SOUTH BEACH HOTELS for treating your customers in this manner.

What we experienced on vacation is absolutely unacceptable. I had 2 friends fly in from Seattle and one is from San Diego. They are all in the Navy...working hard in serving our country. My three friends came to Miami for a vacation and I am ashamed to say that I live in the state of Florida.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

I recommend the crescent hotels on 14th and ocean, the nassau suites on 14th and collins. All have superior customer service and I highly regret staying at the Chesterfield.

And who created the virtual tour for the hotel??

The room looks NOTHING like what you see on website.

DO NOT STAY HERE!