“Shouldn't be ranked #1.” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Kimpton Angler's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hattiesburg, MS
“Shouldn't be ranked #1.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

After researching many hotels in South Beach, my partner and I decided to book with The Angler's for an extended weekend prior to departing for a cruise. We are by no means difficult guests, but we do expect an appropriate level of service that a hotel in this price range warrants. I highly recommend that at these prices, travelers should simply book at the Ritz and look into transportation options to South Beach, which is far more touristy and commercial than we had expected.

Upon arrival, we lugged our luggage into the small front doors, through the restaurant and up the steps to the boutique hotel's "lobby". A brief exchange with a staff member led to our retreat back outside and a small walk to one of the suites located in an adjacent building.

The suite was suitable enough, but we could tell that the luster and glory of this particular suite (#116) had faded long ago. The drapes alone would have be reason enough to justify my review, but the condition of the sofas and rugs were also indicators of just exactly what type of hotel The Angler's had become.

There were other issues as well within our suite not generally associated with luxury: non-functioning electrical outlets, light switches without any obvious purpose, the door's deadbolt did not work, some of the drapes were off their tracks, volume button on remote didn't function, and there were others.

For service the hotel also failed to rise to the occasion. The night we arrived, we called the front desk to ask if we could have coffee delivered to our room the next morning. We were transferred to the kitchen who then took the same information and asked if we wanted one or two cups of coffee each, as they did not have pots of coffee for room service. We asked for two cups each and that it be delivered at 8:30. The coffee the next morning never came as requested. Later that morning we called to place another order for coffee, which arrived promptly but with no mention or explanation of why our order from the previous night was completely ignored. (The coffee, btw, was delivered in a large pot - not in cups as previously explained.)

That same morning as we were getting dressed for the gym, housekeeping arrived to clean the room. We asked if she could return in 10 minutes as we were about to leave. This information was relayed through a translator without incident and we left for the gym without service. Nearly three hours later we returned to an untouched room. Then, roughly 30 minutes following our returned, housekeeping returned. We asked if she could give us a few minutes to get dressed and leave, which she seemed to understand clearly this time without an interpreter. She rolled her eyes, seemed inconvenienced and indicated that she could but not happily. We let her in. She cleaned the lower half while we were getting dressed in the upper half.

Let me also address that issue, too. Do not request a two-story suite with the spiral staircase if you pack anything larger than a duffle bag. Since we were going on a cruise, we each brought large suitcases, which we had to precariously hoist up the narrow spiral stairs. The concept is great, but in practice it just doesn't work (at least for us).

Finally, upon departure, I went to the front desk prepared to provide honest feedback to anyone who might have asked or given any indication that they cared about our stay. Instead I was asked what I needed between the attendant answering a phone call and responding to a short wave radio. I just asked to check out without providing my feedback.

This was our first trip to South Beach, so this just may be as good as it gets there and it's all relative. I, however, will not return despite whatever response follows from management. There are so many hotels willing to provide the same level of service at much lower prices. I simply recommend staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid the two-story suites with spiral staircases.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank HollisJD
Jayres, General Manager at The Kimpton Angler's Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you for your recent visit with us and for taking the time to share your constructive feedback regarding your visit.

I would like to personally offer my heartfelt apologies for the challenges that you experienced during your visit. You spent your valuable time and money to come and experience The Angler's and should have had your expectations routinely met across and exceeded. I will speak with my entire team regarding communication and execution while personally inspecting the guest room that you occupied.

I see that you referenced that you would not accept any type of return offer. However, I would very much like to see what we can do to win back your business and give you the experience you should have had. Please feel free to contact me at 786.594.5888 or via Email at Jayres@theanglersresort.com at your convenience.

I am confident in my team and property. I honestly feel that with your feedback and our relentless desire to better ourselves that we'll be even better in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope to speak with you soon.

James Ayres
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We love this hotel..... Whenever we come to South Beach we try & stay here....... The staff are very helpful and friendly and volunteer information that will enhance your stay... They really want to make sure you have a good time/experience.......... We've stayed here with and without our (grown up) kids & they love it too......
The rooms are all great in our experience.... The air-con work very well, this can't be said of all hotels in SoBe! Good housekeeping, all the rooms are clean and bug free, this is brilliant news in Florida!!!!! There are fridges/wet bars and in room enteertainment you can accutally operate..... Plenty of towels, super fine sheets & great toiletries (Gilchrist&Soames), they have separate shampoo & conditioner, always a plus in my opinion...... Very good bar &restaurant. Lovely pool area, which although you may think is a little small but it's such a sun trap that I really don't think you could 'toast' for very long... There's always the massive beach two blocks away...... Which brings me onto the location, this is excellent in our opinion, as you're so near to Ocean Drive but with out the grief of the noise!!!!!! All in all a fabulous 'find', we can't recommend it highly enough!

9 Thank TravelFun24
Jayres, General Manager at The Kimpton Angler's Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Thank you for your recent visit with us and the glowing review!

I'm delighted that your expectations were consistently exceeded. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and recharged your batteries while here at The Angler's.

I'll share your comments with the entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your tropical home again soon.

Warm regards,

James E. Ayres
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

My wife and I and two friends hired a car from Miami airpirt and after driving around for a while, we found it between 6th and 7th on Washington Street, not easily identifiable (if you are not use to American roads) this however adds to the charm of the place. Valet Parking is expensive so if you can park elsewhere I would recommend this.The hotel itself is set back and indeed away from Ocean Drive so you can get a good nights sleep. The room we stayed in 301 was spot on, spacious with a good size living area and a nice big bed, seperate from the living area. The pool area as mentioned is slightly small but again is the character of the Hotel, if you want bigger go to the sea! The staff are excellent and we did have a slight problem with air conditioning but the guys on the front desk in the Morning sorted this out swiftly and more than made up for it. I would highly recommend this place, and the Breakfast wrap was out of this world. It may not be five star in what people are expecting (Pool size/towells/furniture....) but the staff and character of the place defintely take it that way! Thanks All at the hotel for a superb stay!!
Ann and Barry

4 Thank Barry_M81
Thank you for recently being our honored guests at The Angler's.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I'm glad you enjoyed what the resort had to offer. We take great pride in being the upscale hideaway.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm humbled to work with this fantastic team.

We look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Regards,

James Ayres
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Miami has lots of options, and I have tried many, but Angler's is by far my favorite. The room was brand new and much larger than expected (and we stayed in a basic rate room). Large enough for a full living room furniture set with desk and bar. It was very well appointed with modern, clean furnishings and many cool features including a home theater and a huge shower (for 2).

The management staff has it all covered. I was impressed that not only the desk staff, but the service staff, captains, and bell staff made it their business to learn and know mine and my girlfriend's names. The hotel manager himself called our room to see if there was anything he could do for us and to be sure that our experience was positive. This must be what a "Boutique Hotel" means..... All this for the ones who had the cheapest room in the place!!!!

The pool is extremely nice, but breakfast by the pool was tops. All you can drink Bloody's??? Really??? Nice touch!!!

I will be back soon.... When traveling for business and weekend getaway's. This is my Miami spot for sure.

2 Thank Mitchell S
Northville, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have to say that the staff at this hotel were so friendly and very personable. When my flight got cancelled the lady at the front desk did all she could to help me and calm me down. They made me feel like I was the only guest there. They were also helpful in providing recomendations on local restaurants. The room was nice; my view wasn't the best. I had a standard room which just had a shower. If you are like me and love to take baths make sure your room has one.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo