“Great Location... The front desk staff....ehh”

Suites at Congress Ocean Drive
Ranked #142 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
DMV
“Great Location... The front desk staff....ehh”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

The location of this hotel is GREAT! right in the middle of everything! It was 4 of us in a room (full size bed and "pull out couch") definitely going to need 2 rooms if you are going with more than 2 people. the room to me was nice. its made so that you are only using it for sh!+,shower and shave lol. I would stay at the congress again, if they change the front desk staff...they aren't very friendly. they acted as if we were bothering them when we asked for something... but other than that, the hotel is sweet!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank morg t
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I was extremely disappointed with the level of service provided at the Congress Hotel in Miami, FL. I had booked two rooms several months in advance to ensure the rooms were situated nearby one another, as I was with a large group for a bachelorette party. I was reassured multiple times the rooms would be (if not next to) close to one another. I called a week in advance to double check and again I was reassured they were close by. At the check-in date of the first room (one day prior to the check in of the second room as I and the bride-to-be arrived a day early for some R&R) was again told the second room was nearby the first. At the day of the second room’s check-in, I was told ‘Oh no we can’t tell you ahead of time if the rooms are nearby, and we can’t choose the room you have, your second room is in a SEPARATE BUILDING’ (not even CLOSE to the building much less the ROOM of the first booking). If I had been informed of this at booking, I would have canceled and booked with a hotel who was able to accommodate this mundane request.
Unfortunately this was only the beginning of the ‘great’ experience with the Congress Hotel. The front desk had utterly no regard for customer service (or even an ounce of respect for another human for that matter) and could not have cared less to be assisting guests. The only staff members who showed any interest in helping us were the tipped employees (no surprise there). But the rest of the staff could have taken lessons in customer service from the bag-boys. Multiple times we called to the front desk for items such as ice, towels, etc. only to be rudely ignored and have to call back multiple times, or literally go down to the front desk and practically harass them until they responded. Furthermore, the ‘amenities’ as they refer to them, were a joke. Breakfast was cold, stale bread or cereal and Maxwell house coffee. And the included beach chairs and umbrellas (which we were told was a part of the PER-Person $12.50 charge per day) was not so ‘included’ we were told when we got down to the beach that if we wanted one chair per-person staying in the rooms, we would have to pay an additional charge of $10/chair and $20/umbrella.
On top of the poor service and laughable amenities, the hotel itself seemed in disarray. The elevator worked 30% of the stay at best and if the stairs were locked (entrance is from the alley) we were told there was no key and we would have to wait in the lobby for them to fix the elevator. Twice we waited more than 20 minutes just to get up to our room! Thank God no one needed emergency services in the hotel at the time; the EMT’s would have no way of getting to them! The pool on the roof-top was also deplorable. The lining was lifting off the pool all around and the bottom was slimy.
To top off the absurd service, amenities, and property issues, they improperly charged my credit card at the end of the stay, which wasn’t shown on the statement (nor do they check ID’s by the way, so feel free to use a stolen credit card, they don’t check even for charges exceeding $1800!). I only noticed the issues in my credit card statement online the next day and called repeatedly to the hotel and management and left several voice mails only to be ignored. In fact, they have caller ID, so if you call asking to be connected to management more than once, they simply hang up on you. Looks like I’ll be disputing the charges through my credit card company since they are ‘unable’ (more like unwilling) to fix the issue. I was also told I would get a Florida resident discount when booking, and never received it.
In short, I have never experienced any hotel who’s staff and management showed such blatant disregard for customer care.
If I could give less than one star, I would.

Room Tip: Don't book with this hotel - honestly the best tip I could give.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank M_Valentino

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The hotel location cannot be beat if you are looking to be on S. Beach and right in the middle of it all. Nice room and more spacious than we expected. The room was not "mint" and yes it did have some stains and minor "issues" but nothing that we would consider reporting on. Safe, clean, comfortable and in the middle of all the fun!

The staff was great!!!!!
We acidentally left some jewelry in the safe upon checkout and contacted them on our drive home later that day. We were prepared for the worst but have been pleasantly impressed by the staff (especially Eleonor). Jewelry is enroute to us now!

***A bit curious as to why the hotel didn't proactivelly contact us upon finding contents in the safe??? but it's tough to complain as it was our fault and they are getting it back to us.

Only complaint we have is with the valet parking. I think they are sublet by the hotel so this doesnt necessarily reflect directly on The Congress..... We had to wait over 40 minutes for our car to be brought around after requesting it on one occasion. All other times, it was waiting within 10 minutes of us calling. Not a major issue but we were on a time crunch and were disappointed at the long wait, especially at $35 a night.

We would definatelly stay here again and wish to thank Eleonor again for her added efforts.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travmar006
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed here with a group of friends July 5-9, I spoke with the hotel staff numerous times before arriving to secure my request that the two rooms I booked be located next to eachother or at least on the same floor. I called the hotel the day I was scheduled to arrive and informed them that my flight didn't land into MIA until 7p.m. so If I could confirm my request since I am being told the hotel is completely booked. Long story short, this didn't happen! my rooms were on two different floors, I was put in the retro building facing the parking garage and the alley right next to the stairs! The pictures online are NOTHING like the actual rooms we stayed in, the "Queen size sofa pull-out" is really a twin size, with absolutely no padding. The continental breakfast consisted of old danishes, orange juice and stale coffee. Not to mention everyone in your room must arrive at the same time to get breakfast because you have to give your pass to the gentlemen who is working there. The pool was small but nice, it was a great view of the beach! Since the pool is on the rooftop is would have been great if the elevator worked! we had to walk up and down six flights of stairs. At checkout I was given a bill with a daily resort fee, for amenities I didn't use. I asked that I be contacted by a manager to give my grievance, I was informed a manager would be calling be within 24hrs. My check-out was July 9th and as of today I still haven' t heard from a manager. This was a horrible experience! I would only stay here again for free!

Room Tip: If you really have to stay here, ask to be booked in the main building and Oceanfront is a must!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tamika G
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

My wife and I just arrived at the Congress Hotel in SOBE, and were very disappointed that our confirmed requests for a room with a balcony was ignored. This written and verbal confirmation was made over three months ago.
We are in a tiny studio facing a the side of a building.
We would have booked a different hotel if we knew we would not get the room we expected.

• Stayed July 2012