My initial reaction to this hotel was positive. Yes, it is a little quirky that you enter through the restaurant, but the location is great (close to Delano, Shore Club, etc) and on a quiet street. While the entrance to the hotel area is a little dark and a tad grungy (a trend that continues throughout), the room itself is quite large. I liked that it one large flat screen TV (though no HD programming) and other smaller TV in the bedroom. The living area also included a fairly functions mini kitchen where we were able to keep our drinks cold.
What you will quickly notice upon inspecting the rooms (and property throughout) is that this hotel is not just dated but tired - - clearly in need of TLC. The grout in the bathrooms are moldy, the windows are covered in paint spatter, the TP holder was hanging on for dear life and the list goes on.
A few things that really moved this hotel form "Questionable" to "Avoid" were:
- Our hotel room was skipped by room service. Upon check-out, the Ast. Manager suggested that maybe we had told them not to clear or had put the DND signup. Total BS.
- The pillow was over stuffed and hard, too much so for me to sleep on and I actually just slept with my head on the mattress. My request for a replacement was never addressed, not even a phone call to let me know there were no other options.
- Service: While one Ast. GM really did try to help, was apologetic and did try to compensate us for our problems, our experience with the rest of the statf was anything but helpful / friendly.
- When checking out, another couple came down to complain of a "massive leak" (it was a rainstorm). The Ast. GM immediately offered to discount one of their nights, as they had done with us. It became clear that this hotel's M.O. is to provide a discount when things go wrong (which I can assume is frequent) as opposed to just dealing with the root problems.
Overall: This hotel could be a fantastic destination hotel with some TLC and staff training/replacements. But, under the current circumstances, I suggest avoiding this one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanctuary Hotel is in an ideal South Beach setting for those who want to be away from it all but in the middle of it all. Our four star boutique hotel is located steps away from Collins Avenue, the Fillmore at Jackie Gleason Theater, Miami Beach Convention Center, New World Symphony, Washington Ave., And Ocean Drive. Whether your trip is business or leisure our knowledgeable staffs will guide your South Beach experience and make sure that exceptional service is unlike any other Miami Beach Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Sanctuary South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Sanctuary South Beach Miami