“good spa, bad food, awful service”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #10 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Bogota, Colombia
“good spa, bad food, awful service”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The spa is good and the staff is willing to provide good service. The Bayside grill has a great location and nice views, but the food is too expensive according its quality. USD $80 for two mediocre sandwiches, and two "mini" smoothies and waitresses that can chase you and yell at you at the middle of the pool if they don't get the tip they want. Be aware if you give a tip of less 18%!!!! You can be attack by the waitress!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xsteevens
ISMiami, General Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear xsteevens,
Thank you for your recent post and highlighting our property and service. Although our food prices are competitive with our neighbors around Miami Beach, we have addressed internally regarding the situation with your server. The treatment you received is certainly not the norm for our property. Please accept our apologies and we hope you will give us another chance.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at the Standard Miami after a cruise for one night, when we originally booked it, we didn't know what to expect, but when we finally got there we were amazed by the front desk service, the incredible pools, the views and the hotel itself.
We arrived very early and the front desk helped us to expedite the check in, something that's extremely valuable to us.
Next time we will definitely stay longer!
This is a trendy hotel and if you want something different from a regular hotel experience this is the place.
Also, it's just a couple of blocks from the beach and Lincoln road, we even walked all the way from South Pointe to the hotel and took only 30 minutes.
For Us It's the perfect spot for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I am a 48 year old woman who travelled alone for a little R&R after a devastating family crisis.

Ok -- the bad news first: the room I stayed in (Standard Medium) was small -- but you don't spend much time there anyway. The walls are quite thin, so on my first night there I listened to the couple next door argue. Two nights later I had to go outside at 2:30 am to ask a couple staying 3 doors down to lower their voices (one drunken woman was shouting profanity). If you hate tattoos, piercings, or vulgarity, this is NOT the place for you. If you can put up with that, take an Ambien, download "Sleep Pillow" on your iphone and snooze away.

One small point -- Check-in is 4 pm. My room was not ready and it was suggested "I take a walk around the block" until it was. I believe at least one other reviewer mentioned this problem.

Now for the great news. First: the Spa. The staff is LOVELY. You can take this experience in any direction you wish -- pleasure and relaxation, exercise, or a journey of self-awareness. Had 3 massages while there and all 3 were very good. The Hammam Room doesn't look like much at first (heated marble? who cares?) but it is soooooo relaxing! Renee taught me to meditate, I tried acupuncture with Lisa, and I took my first yoga class -- EVER -- (I'm a pilates girl) and WAY out of my league. Everyone was supportive, encouraging and professional. It sounds totaly geeky, but these guys knew what a mess I was, and they wrapped their arms around me and cheered me on.

Second: The food was excellent. Lots of healthy choices, but enough decadance as well that you didn't feel like you were at a fat farm.

Last and most definitely not least: the staff. Alex, JC, and countless others who knew my personal difficulties went out of their way to help me find bars and restaurants that were more my style and age group and would give me an opportunity to meet people so dining alone wouldn't feel so...well, alone! One evening I had a SCARY ride home -- driver got lost -- so I called the Standard and they stayed on the line with me until I finally arrived back at the hotel.

It was such a great trip that I actually cried when I said goodbye to Alex.

My final analysis: make sure your standards aren't too high or too rigid -- this is not a Ritz-Carlton, folks -- but you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank lchallonerd
Morristown, NJ
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I travel to South Florida regularly and often find myself in South Beach for business meetings. This time, however, my wife and I had an opportunity to get away without kids for a couple of days and I wanted to try something off of the beach and away from the huge crowds. The Standard was a dream. The staff was really cool and on top of things. The vibe is SoCal - very laid back, which is rare for South Beach. But the real star here is the property: large and stunning pool and dinng area set on the intercoastal with spectacular views and gorgeous sunsets. It's big and comfortable enough to hang out for hours. We left the property only once, for dinner. And great shopping on Lincoln Road is just a 5 minute walk!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We have been several times to the Standard for lunch and have enjoyed every visit. The menu isn't extensive, but the quality is there. More unique is the location: on the Bay side, literally in the water with a breathtaking view. The service was always excellent, above average. A great place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends