“Disappointed..” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Parsippany, New Jersey
“Disappointed..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I have to say I am quite disappointed with the Dream this time around. This is my second time staying with them, the first time being the same time last year. July 25-29, my birthday being the 26th. I had such an amazing experience the first time that I said to myself I MUST go back again. While staying at the hotel, we were of course greeted properly, and everything met the standards of a hotel check-in. However as the days progressed the hotel was just not the same as it was last year. On our 2nd day there, we had put out the hanger on the door for the room to be serviced, we were at the beach ALL day and did not return till about 630 7pm and the room had not been touched. I then called the next morning to tell the front desk we will be leaving for the day and that I would appreciate if it was serviced today since they skipped our room the day prior. All I got was an I'm sorry we will take care of it. They took care of it and put a piece of chocolate on the bed. For such a high end hotel a little more was expected, and trust me I've been accommodated much better for much less. Next the food, the Cuban sandwich I must say is to die for -- however when I asked the waitress at the pool to make me a BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato) - probably the EASIEST sandwich to make, she told me that was not possible. So therefore, I ordered the grilled cheese and told her to add bacon, lettuce and tomato on it, she said she would have to ask the kitchen. She finally came back with my BLT and told me I was being charged an extra 5 dollars on top of the 14 grilled cheese. They can make popcorn milkshakes but not BLT's? Strange. Finally the icing on the cupcake. We had booked our trip through Travelocity; a flight and hotel package; our plane was leaving Sunday at 9:22pm. I had done the same travel options last year and had no problem. We decided to go to the beach and then shop and arrived back at the room by 3 to shower/pack and go downstairs for dinner before the airport. When we got to our room our key did not work. We went down stairs and asked what the problem was and they told us check out was at 12pm. Funny part was when we checked in, that was NEVER told to us. Considering the fact we booked it as a package deal, why would I have chose the later flight at 9:22 if we had to check out by 12. I explained to person behind the desk, all we had to do was shower real quick and pack our bag and it would of taken us an hour tops. He told us unfortunately that we could not do that and we would have to pay for a 1/2 day since they have to guarantee check in for other guests by 3pm. He told us we had to be out by 5pm and it was a $100 charge. If they have to guarantee check in by 3pm to future guests, how would our room have been ready for the new guest at 3pm if we had until 5pm? All we needed was an hour and that could not be done, nor was it brought to our attention check out was at 12pm. Needless to say, I was pleased with the hotel the first time around, the second time I can't say the same. Unfortunately this will be the last time I will be staying at the Dream, there are hotel near by who will do whatever it takes to accommodate hotel guests, and to say the least the Dream did not.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Danica I
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you did not have a completely positive experience this second time staying with us. It is disappointing to hear that your expectations were not met, and I would like to apologize for any service failures on our part.

In the interest of helping our future guests, I feel I must go into further detail concerning our check in and check out times. Dream South Beach guarantees a check in time of 3pm for our guests. That is why we have established a departure time of 12pm to allow our housekeeping staff time to prepare the room for the next guest.

We are happy to accommodate late check out requests based on our availability and the hotel's occupancy, but unfortunately there was no communication between you and the hotel informing us of your late flight. We understand that you booked your flight and hotel through a 3rd party booking site, but this does not generate an automatic late check out.

Again, I apologize for your negative experience, but I hope that you will understand our position in this matter. I would love a chance to speak with you directly about your experience, and hopefully have a chance to restore your faith in us. I may be reached at, johnwalbridge@dreamsouthbeach.com, or 305-673-4747.

John Walbridge - Front Office Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Hebrew first
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

This hotel is close to everything. Their staff was very helpful and friendly. I loved the decor of the place. Like another reviewer said though, the room was a little small. I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MelHolland6
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Short and sweet - thank you very much for your review and nice comments about our staff! All of us here at Dream are very happy knowing you had a great stay and go to enjoy our prime location and the design of the hotel. We hope to see you again soon, and take care!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

Chic and trendy and for the location, a pretty good value. Room was very neat and clean, but for $300 bucks a night I expect decent towels which this place did not have. I also expect a Concierge who can make a good recommendation for lunch, and in this respect she was off the mark. But everything else gets a 5, so definite possibility of returning. Oh, almost forgot, service at rooftop bar was shody too.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Sandor W
Thank you for choosing to stay at Dream and sharing your experiences with us. I am sorry that there were a few elements of your stay that you found needed improvement, and these will certainly be addressed and corrected. We really appreciate your business, and hope to welcome you back again soon. Take care!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Amazing hotel and roof top bar and pool with an amazing view! The hotel was close to everything and a block away from the beach! Will definitely be coming back to this hotel on my next trip to Miami Beach.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Perfect! Thank you so much for your short, but sweet review! We are very happy that you were able to enjoy our beautiful rooftop and our prime location. Thanks for staying with us, and we hope to see you and your friends again soon. Take care!
Miami, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

Historic art deco hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. Roof top pool is gorgeous with great views. Only negative is the room was small. Room decor is very interesting with the usage of glass for the bathroom, shower and closet.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you very much for choosing Dream, and allowing our friendly staff to take care of you! We are so happy that you were able to enjoy our rooftop - we agree with you 100% - it really is gorgeous up there! We appreciate your business, and hope to see you again soon! Take care!