“Penguin Hotel Miami Beach”
Review of Penguin Hotel

Penguin Hotel
Ranked #77 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Back to Europe after 10 days in Miami Beach.
Decides to stay in Penguin Hotel with my husband and 2 childrens.

Good Value, Service, Staf ***** and delicious Food !

The best & most authentic pizza I ever had in the USA!

I will stay in this hotel (The location is amazing)
when I come back to visit my freinds !

Julia C.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Julia P
Veronica S, General Manager at Penguin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Julia,
Thank you for choosing us! You are right, our flatbread pizza is the best around! So glad you tried it! Cheers!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I decided to try the Penguin Hotel, I thought that the location and the price were already too good for my 3 night stay ..... The location is amazing, is just in front of the beach, you don't have to worry about bringing a car, the hotel is in the middle of the best clubs and restaurants, the reception staff was always super nice and helpfull, Carmen recomended us to visit Key West in a day trip that by the way was perfectly settled for us.... then we spent the evening sat at the Restaurant sipping some happy hour drinks that the Hotel kindly gave us upon check in, we paid a minimum service fee that includes a bunch of amenities, we saved time and money , we used the internet and the chairs for the beach so we did not spent money on renting chairs at the beach or time looking for a internet cafe. The room was unique, we got the room with the pink flowers and a lot of mirrors which was perfect for me and my friend, we were ready for a ladies night out on time. We ask for a late check out; after hanging out all night long we were super exausted.
I will come back to the Penguin Hotel as soon as I visit Miami again, the Hotel Manager gave me a special discount on the next stay. I was treated as a princess from begining to end.... I recommend this Hotel.... Oh Yes!

Room Tip: I liked my room, ask for the one with the pink flowers.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank Vanessa F

Hi Vanessa,
Hi Five on that review! Thanks for going back home and taking the time to write something positive, not a lot of guests do that! Come back whenever you'd like and contact us directly for a much better deal. Thanks again.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 days. The location was awesome still on the main strip but on the quiet side, but if you wanted to party all you had to do was walk a couple blocks south. Great views, weather was great! Beautiful days and nights!

The front desk staff was very helpful I'd especially like to thank Ives she helped me by printing out our tickets and went above and beyond after the internet went down at the Penguin and getting the guy at the front desk of the President hotel to print them out(especially when he didnt want to, she made sure he did. Once again thank you, so much for that Ives. To the guy who gave me a hard time at the President, you suck).

Thanks to Johan for helpful tips on where to go in Miami Beach and on helping us with our bags when we came in early and had to wait to check in. Excellent costumer service. The food at the restuarant was great! We had the Penthouse Balcony Suite. This room was amazing, we had the whole roof to ourselves. The balcony had a million dollar view of the beach and Ocean Drive. The room was nice, quiet and secluded (on it's own floor).

A few tips for the hotel staff and future vistors:
1.If you dont need a car don't get a rental. Parking sucks, it cost about $20 a day at the closest parking structure which is a block and a half away(the hotel doesnt have its own parking lot). Street parking is cheaper at $1.50 an hour but very crowded and full, but the good thing is that everything you need is in walking distance (the location is worth the walking,everything is there for you why would you need to drive anywhere).
2.The elevator is a 3 person limit which kinda sucked but there's always the stairs.The pengiun poster in the elevator was odd but we didnt mind. Now about the room, it's on the 4th floor with no elevator access to the floor, so be prepared to lug your stuff up two small flights of stairs(no big deal really considering the room is AWESOME!).
3.The toilet is too close to the tub which caused you to sit at a slight angle, the shower knobs were loose, also it would of been great to have something to hold up the window in the shower. 4.The bed sheets were very clean and confortable but what we noticed was that the bed was not a king size bed but 2 smaller beds put together.
5.Finally it was very inconvient to go get our breakfast and drinks at another hotel in the back, across the alley, the door to the President did not work til the last day we were there(they fixed it), so we had to go through other hotels just to get breakfast and drink.

The bartender at the President was great! You cant miss him and his signature mustache.LOL. The continental breakfast crossiants were freshly baked,(not sure if the rest of the pastries were though).
I thought it was cool that you could leave your bag in the lobby till your room was ready. But I would have never known that had I not read that they did that on tripadvisor.
Loved the complimentary beach chairs and beach towel you can check out at no cost.
The night life is just blocks away, plenty of places to check out. Just walking on the strip worth the stay alone.
Those 3 days in Miami Beach was awesome and our stay was still awesome. We will definately be coming back to the Penguin Hotel!!!
The Penguin hotel is nice, but the Penthouse room and the LOCATION MAKE IT WORTH THE STAY! As always, it always comes down to location,location,loacation and this is the best for the price.

Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank DocGarcia

Hi Doc,
What can I tell you? My heart grew bigger when I read your review. You captured the essence of what we, the staff, try to achieve every day. We are far from being the best but we try our best each time. I'm so glad to see the results of a joint effort. Please contact us directly for your future stay! Thanks a lot for your wonderful review!

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at the Penguin with two others in a twin room. We booked through the hotel website on which we assumed all extra costs had been included such as tax, resort fees etc. When booking it was made note that it was for 3 people in the one room. On check in they tried to tell us that we had to pay an extra $50 per night for the third person as an added fee. Why would this not be included in the total price when booking via the hotel's website.
The room was OK, we have stayed elsewhere in South Beach before and expected a small room. The beds are very low and very noisy and squeaky.
While we were supposed to be charged for a third person in the room, we were only supplied with 2 sets of towels. We had to ask constantly for extra towels.
One morning we left the room at around 11am and put the service please sign on the door so our room would be made up and towels provided by the time we returned late afternoon. We got back to the room at around 3.45 and found our room not made up, no towels. I went to the front desk to ask for towels and she said that housekeeping doesnt come in until 4pm and that we would have to wait. I was quite confused as there was a card in the room telling us that housekeeping hours were between 9-3pm. I then got a call to the room asking if we wanted the room serviced and was even more confused. I told her we just wanted towels. Housekeeping then came to the room asking if we wanted it to be serviced because the housekeeping lady was leaving at 4pm. The situation was out of control. The room couldnt be made up because we were in it at the time showering, changing etc. It was such a commotion just to get some extra towels which we got in the end.
The complimentary breakfast, drinks at their affiliated hotel would be a nice gesture however we were only given two tokens for each when there was clearly 3 of us booked to stay.
The restaurant had a breakfast special on the menu when we went to eat one morning. However when we received the bill we were told the special ended at 10.30am. There was no mention of this on the sign and the waiter was quite rude when we questioned it and suggested that they should note on the sign that the special is only for a certain period of time.
Luckily after the issues we had they waived the extra money for the third person. We were glad to only be there for 2 nights and would not go back. It is definitely worth paying a bit of extra money to stay somewhere with better service

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
38  Thank Louisa D

Dear Louisa,
I'm so sorry to hear all the hassle you had to go through while staying with us. Sometimes issues arise but judging by the ending of your comment I believe we finally did not charge the extra person fees you were initially quoted so you must be pleased with that at least. As regards the cleaning of the room, that was clearly a misunderstanding, you thinking that there won't be service after 3 pm and them telling you that they could come after 4 pm. On weekends we usually extend our times because guests wake up late and request service after hours. I understand you will probably not be choosing us again but if you change your mind we may offer you a very special rate. Please email me directly if you are interested. Thanks for your comments.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at Penquin Hotel for one week and I recommend it to everyone! It was a totally pleasant stay! The purple penguin, restaurant of the hotel, serves delicious food - the best and most authentic pizza I ever had in the US! Our room was small, but nice and clean and the hotel is generally very nice decorated and also the lounge an the other public rooms are properly cleaned. I really liked the central location, it is close to the famous shopping street Lincoln Road and just by the ocean drive. Definitely, a hotel to stay in!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Megan43_12

Dear Megan,
Thanks so much for your kind review! Come back soon!