“Decent Place to Stay”

Blue Moon Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #50 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My wife wanted to visit South Beach on our Florida Keys Vacation. The reason why I picked the Blue Moon Hotel was due to reviews from Trip Advisor and the price of the hotel was less than other hotels in the area. The hotel was a decent place to stay. The rooms were outdated and small, but comfortable. The view from the window of our room was looking at the alley. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location was good. We were able to walk around South Beach and check out the beach area along with the various places to see around there. Some of the negatives was it cost us $25 to valet our rental car and they tacked on $10 for amenities whether we used them or not. The breakfast that was offerred with the amenities was decent. The beach was within walking distance if you wanted to use it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

For a three star class venue a decent enough experience. Pleasurable experience with their sister location The Winterhaven so selected the Blue Moon on this run. Rooms in the second building have gone through selected renovations and I purposely asked for that wing in my reservation. The rooms were simple, very clean and modern enough. The cliental was not the riffraff that typically Collins attracts so it was very quiet. The beds on the other-hand were on the cheap and generally not the most comfortable. Staff was good enough to upgrade me after a minor complaint. Excellent location. Good choice and recommended but don't expect a 4 star experience.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank tdottony
Reviewed 30 November 2011

After a 9 hour flight to Miami, 2 hours passport control queue, 30 mins taxi journey I had a great welcome at the Blue Moon Hotel. From the guy who grabbed my bag at the hotel entrance to the reception staff, and the lady serving at the bar; they were all very friendly. I got charged an extra $10 resort tax on arrival which gave you $5 off at the bar and continental breakfast in the morning, snack in the afternoon (if you are still there) not bad really + free wifi (all said in previous reviews). I was shown to my room which was actually larger than I expected in Miami to be honest with an equally large bathroom. I headed to the bar and got a drink, not having looked at options for dinner before the trip the lady at the bar explained that the restaurant was not open for dinner and much of the hotel was being renovated (I had seen no evidence of this I may add); however that there were various options for food in the area or she had a great selection of menu's for delivery if I wanted. I went back to my room and decided to go for a walk to get some pizza, at that tme noticed that I had water coming in from the ceiling near the bedroom and bathroom windows...I phoned reception and 5 mins later maintance arrived who said they would check if there was something wrong in the room upstairs and was likely I would need to move rooms. 10 mins later I had not heard back so I called again.. reception said they were trying to move me. Shortly after this I was moved to the room next door which did not have a leaking celing, but was a lot smaller! I then went out for pizza, just around the block about 9.30 pm I guess, I visited Pizza Rustica - great pizza.. not sure if the area is as safe as the bar lady told me... just be careful if you are on your own!

In addition I can agree with others comments about the showers.. it took ages to get hot and the pressure was terrible. Having already moved rooms and was tired I really could not be bothered to tell reception and maybe moved again (so I guess this could have been rectified if I had told them). I had a great sleep, bed quality was good, room was not noisy, breakfast the next day was standard continental, check out 12..

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank anon19
Reviewed 2 November 2011

The location is amazing. The blue moon is in the heart of Miami Beach. The staff is great, and always ready to assist. The rooms were really small, but how much time do you really need to spend in your hotel room when you are in Miami Beach?
I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2011

This is the equivalent of a Hampton Inn anywhere else.

Cheap $4 Wal-Mart pillow. I think there were more comfortable pillows on my United flight.

Noise from the lobby on the tile floor was ridiculous.

Shower was awful, hot water didn't work. Front desk told me that you had to let it run....for sometimes 10 minutes for it to heat up. It's close to the action, but it ain't 4 stars.

Free WiFi though for me to find another hotel.

The pool info suggests a hot tub, but none exists. There is a timer switch for the non-existant hot tub on the wall though. So....

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Don't stay on floor number 1.