“It was my world”

Ranked #43 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“It was my world”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Its late at night and my mom is in the hospital but I could not allow another moment to pass without giving the SURFCOMBER the best "shout out" ever. Of course when I left on 9/2//2012 I had written everyone's name down so I could ensure an awesome review of the best Miami Beach staff but instead of arriving home in Memphis I had to take an unexpected detour to St. Louis- I had a blast at the Surfcomber. Absolutely every need was met before I asked. Upon my arrival I was made to feel as if the hotel was my personal beach home. The staff is awesomely attentive and extremely pleasant...all smiles at all times of the day. My check in was smooth, my room was fantastic, the bathroom is just gorgeous, the valet always let the top back on our convertable rental for "cruising" along Ocean Blvd or another busy street and the beach access with easy. When I entered my room I had birthday balloons, chilled wine and a signed birthday card by many of the staff- can it get any more personal than that?! My hubby and I needed a quick holiday get away and the Surfcomber made it a first time Miami beach memorable experience. I am begging my soon to be 16 year old to "do" Miami instead of Puerto Rico because I want the SURFCOMBER experience again very soon. Thank each of you for a wonderful Labor Day weekend with an exceptional experience. We will return soon.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
kbwallace1018-
That is an awesome posting.
Thank you and we hope to be seeing you soon for another great birthday celebration.
Sean McKeen
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I often stay at other Kimpton properties in other parts of the country so when I had the chance to stay at this property, I was comfortable booking it online without seeing it myself. My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary here and we had a great time! The hotel staff provided such wonderful service and tended to our every need from our arrival to our departure! Andrew was a gem at the front desk - making us feel special and sending a celebratory treat to our room, and Brian greeted us at the door with a smile, took care of our bags and chatted us up in the lobby about places to see while we were in town. The rooms were great - modern and clean and the pool which connects to the beach was convenient. We were close enough to walk to the hotspots but the location still made us feel like we were in a relaxing resort. Although we missed the wine bar (go figure) that is always a bonus for staying at Kimpton properties. I can't wait to go back to the Surfcomber!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
smckeen, General Manager at Kimpton Surfcomber Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
goldnkey-
Well we also can't wait to host your next stay.
If that isn't synergy; I’m not sure what is.
Thx for the posting.
CT
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed for 2 nights and the Surfcomber didn't disappoint. We chose the hotel based upon location, amenities, and the fact that it was pet friendly. We couldn't have made a better choice. The staff was welcoming from the moment we arrived. Room was beautiful. Common areas and pool very nice. Service was a bit spotty around the pool but they made it right by comping the charges (per the server) when he felt serice wasn't up to par. Munchies from the asian restaurant were great - especially the blue crab spring rolls. Drinks were definitely on the hgh side though - $6 plus for a can of coke and $14 for a mojito?? On a positive note though the wine flowed freely at the 5pm happy hour and there was great entertainment by the pool each late afternoon - one day a reggae band and another day blues, hendrix, zeppelin, etc. I enjoyed the latter but I would have to say most of the other guests, especially the foreigners, appeared to be disinterested. Probablly not the best choice for that crowd. Both bands were excellent. Also, the pool attendants bringing around snacks from time to time was a nice touch like frozen grapes, mango smoothies, ice cream for the kids. The location absolutely cannot be beat. We are thinking of returning at in another month.

The only negative was that the back gate to the boardwalk and beach area is opened for the public to come in to visit the poolside tiki bar (the bar advertises via a surfboard near the gate). We met a few folks who took advanatage of this and also grabbed the loungers and umbrellas by the pool for the day as well. I would think that these should be reserved for the hotel guests as they fill up quickly by mid day. All of the other hotels nearby keep their back gates locked. If the Surfrcomber is going to allow the public in then they really need to do a better job in reserving the amenities for the paying guests.

LuLuCt-
Thats a cute photo.
Thank you so much for the great stay posting and your feedback.
We will secure our amenities properly for our guests prior to your return.
We hope to see you again next month.
Sean McKeen
Cary, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Great staff, location, pool, and beach access... modern. Good location. Not sure what is up with all the cow decor. Restaurant was good. More of a couples / family crowd than Spring Break crowd. Direct beach access (no street crossings).

2 Thank Joe M
Joe M-
Thank you for the posting.
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed there during tropical storm ISAAC with my daughters 15 & 17 years old. Room was nothing special, but overall service and friendliness of staff was great. Very good location, nice pool area, everything clean and neat. Free popcorn during ISAAC, very fast Valet Parking, very helpful staff, 24 hours friendliness.
What could be improved: the complimentary wine at the pool is nice, but it is not a tasting as we were served the same wine for 7 days; selection for breakfast should vary... same jam for 7 days :-(

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dasgehtnicht
dasgehtnicht-
Thank you for the nice posting.
We appreciate your feedback as well.
We look forward to your return.