“Lovely, but . . .”

Ranked #158 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Lovely, but . . .”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

It's a lovely, small hotel right in the heart of the Deco District and across from the dunes and beach. But, the nightlife and music along Ocean Drive, including directly in front of the hotel, goes until 11 p.m. So, if you want quiet evenings, ask for a back room.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank birchie41
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This was my first time in Miami, and I had originally booked with Ocean's sister hotel Hotel Breakwater, but got upgraded to Hotel Ocean due to Breakwater being full. Best upgrade ever! Got a beautiful room, with a gorgeous view of the ocean, I believe it was a Deluxe Oceanview. You can't beat it's location. Went for my birthday, 4th of July, and the hotel had a complimentary party on the rooftop, and you could watch the fireworks there as well. Friendly staff that knew us by name and always greeted us with a smile and asked if we needed anything. Always clean. Was also surprisingly peaceful for being right on Ocean Drive. The only drawback was that when I went, Hotel Ocean had only been open for maybe a week or so, so the restaurant/eating situation in the hotel was not really up and running all of the way, but really not a problem for me. Also I believe there is only 1 elevator, but not a huge drawback either. Valet was a noticeable price addition, but really the only way to go on Ocean Drive, being cheaper than taking cabs, especially if you want to venture to the mall or downtown Miami. Would definitely stay here again, in fact planning my next trip with them now!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cocoachanel87
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night in March. The price was average and I booked a basic room. However, I continuously requested an early check in, to which I was accomodated for. The kind man at the front desk, I think his name was Harold (not sure), allowed me to do so. Upon check in I was given a key to the basic room I booked. When I went to my room and opened the door I realized I had been upgraded to an ocean view suite, I was VERY pleased. The room was spacious, full of sunlight and extremely clean. It felt as if I had a mini condo on south beach. Not to mention the elevator only shared with one other room. It was great! I could fully see the ocean and the city on the other side from the balcony.

The ONLY complaint I had was that around dinner time I was trying to take a nap but there was a band playing in the courtyard below. With the thin windows I could hear absolutely everything..it felt as if I was outside.

Because of the location and great staff of this hotel I would recommend it and I would also stay here again...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We booked 4 rooms from the hotel's website. Got there early for South Beach Wine & Food Fest and wanted to leave our luggage and go enjoy the festival. We were told we did not have rooms as the hotel we booked but that we were upgraded to the Breakwater, inconveniently, a few blocks away. Our party of 9 shuffled down to the new location with our luggage. When we arrived our front desk person disappeared after we told her what we had just been told. After waiting a while, the manager appeared to tell us that we were misinformed and that we were, actually, now at the Park Central. Our original reservation at 12th & Ocean across the street from the Festival, was now at 6th & Ocean and, on top of that, the place was a bit of a dump. No one took responsibility for the changes and for not letting us know and we lost over an hour of time at the Festival for which we paid quite a bit for our tickets. We were pre-charged for 3 rooms and 1 suite at Hotel Ocean and then had to spend time on the phone with a manager to get a credit since we got 4 mediocre, at best, rooms at the Park Central. He was nice enough but did not make up for our experience. Don't book this place, you may not even end up there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Although they advertise $33 Valet, they add a $12 resort Fee plus gratuity plus multiple state, county & city taxes - totaled up to $48. There's a parking garage about 1 block south. Could walk everywhere from this location. We were upgraded to Jr. Suite. Music from resturant was loud but we enjoyed it. (didn't go to south beach to go to bed early)

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple