“nice hotel”

Ranked #140 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Orlando, Florida
“nice hotel”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I went to South Beach for my birthday and my stay at the Alexander was great. I was afraid that once I arrived, it wasnt going to look like the pictures on the internet, but it did! It was very spacious and clean. After checkout, I did run into a major problem, BUT, after some phone calls and emails, the staff fixed it. The situation didnt get handled as soon as it should have, but it did. I would have preferred that not have happened, but other than that, I give Alexander a "thumbs up".

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My friends and I checked into the hotel on June 1st of this year. We got there around 11 am and even though check in wasn't until 4 they allowed us to check in early. We were so excited we rushed up to our room and because we had heard mixed reviews about the hotel we prepared for the worse. We didn't get anything close to worse the room was AMAZING. The bathrooms had great showers, the kitchen was better than some peoples house and the cabinets were fully stocked w/plates, glasses even shot glasses and the beds were huge. Instead of wasting money on food we decided to take the ride to Publix and fill up the fridge with food and stop @ the liquor store for some ummmm spirits lol... BEST decision ever... We enjoyed ourself and didn't even have to spend a load of money to do it.

I don't know what the other guys was talking about saying that they charged you for breathing because we didn't get charged anything extra other than the resort fee of $11 per day which gives u the daily paper, access to the private beach, gym usage and access to 2 pools and 2 jacuzzis I didn't think that was bad at all...

Now for the reason I didn't give this review an excellent during checkout my friends and I stayed a couple extra hours because our flight didn't leave until later in the day and honestly we just weren't ready to say goodbye to Miami yet so we paid for the late checkout of $30 an hour the friend that suggested it said that she was going to put it on her credit card she did. They were supposed to charge her $69 and charge the card they had on file the balance which would have been my card. Later that day her significant other calls yelling at her saying she charged $521 to her card she says no she didn't come to find out the hotel charged her card twice but until I checked w/my bank it looked like they charged me for the room as well but in actuality they left the $490 that was initially charged to my card in limbo so now I have to wait until everyone is good and ready to reimburse me for the hold that was placed on my card so I can now pay my friend back smh.

Besides that situation it's a great place to stay its 10 mins and $11-13 away from South Beach and we never had any problems with anyone being rude, treating us badly and whatever we called downstairs for we got a response extremely fast. I really did LOVE staying here... So much that if everything is fixed in a timely fashion we'll be staying there again in August=)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Pitman, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I spend about 60 nights in hotels each year between work and vacations. However, this was my first ever visit to Miami Beach and thus our first visit to the Alexander. The experience exceeded our expectaions in many aspects. Specifically:

-The young woman with short blonde hair at the front desk Wednesday-Saturday leading into Memorial Day weekend was very gracious and helpful at check-in and throughout our stay. This is a great person to have in a customer-facing role and we appreciated her service and kindness during our stay.

-Valet service was prompt and friendly on the many occasions that we dropped off and picked up our car.

-We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite on the 11th floor with a huge balcony and fully functional kitchen. The suite did not appear to be renovated, but this did not diminish our enjoyment of the suite. I believe there was seating for nearly 20 people if we used all couches, the dining area table, balcony furniture etc. We used the oven and microwave and they worked fine.

-The concierge provided helpful and accurate information the one time we asked.

-We ate at Shulas once. Very nice! About $100 per person including wine, appetizers, entrees, sides, dessert and tip, 19% of which was automatically added to the bill. We eat at steak houses all over and felt this was very good quality food and service at a reasonable price point for this type of establishment.

-We used room service once. The food was good. One order was incorrect but was remedied quickly and easily.

-Housekeeping was good. On Saturday one bedspread was left crumpled on the floor rather than put back on the bed. But overall the houskeeping staff was unintrusive...we never got woken up in the morning...and the room was cleaned well when we returned. We appreciated the housekeeping service.

-The pool areas were quite nice. I appreciated always having chairs available, which is unusual compared to most other resorts I visit.

-The beach behind the hotel was nice and well-maintained, with chair and umbrella rentals available and a lifeguard stand nearby.

-We felt safe at all times in and around the hotel.

Overall we had a great visit, and the staff should be commended for their great work. When we return to Miami Beach we will plan to stay at the Alexander again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was visiting Miami with friends and stayed at the Alexander. BE WARNED this is not a customer centric hotel. They will nickel and dime you for everything they can. The running joke by the end of the trip is that you were charged for breathing.,. Ugh! The staff is incredibly unhelpful. For instance the we asked for recommendations on things to do and places to eat and their only recommendation was Shulas, their onside heavily over priced restaurant. Breakfast lunch and dinner... There is nothing to do around this hotel except go to the pool. Feddy the resident pool guy gave me a hard time every time I asked for towwels threatening to charge $25 per towel if they were not returned, fine I am a responsible adult, I can keep track of and return a towel (without threats,lectures and being harrassed) but everyday when I went to return my towels (before lunch or dinner time) Freddy was nowhere to be found!! Additionally I find out later that the entire staff takes a lunch break at the same time.. I am paying good money to stay here, I expected a much higher level of professionalism. They did not even open there outdoor cabana restaurant/bar 2of the 4 days we were there, again just showing they do not care about their customer experience. Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!