“Art Deco charm and the fantastic ladies of the Avalon” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Avalon Hotel
Ranked #95 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Carlsbad, California
“Art Deco charm and the fantastic ladies of the Avalon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I had the recent priviledge of staying at this fun hotel on South Beach. The service was beyond excellent! Anna, Lorena and Edith treated each and every guest as if they were the most important guest in the world. Their hospitality was outstanding and made me feel as if I had come home. Even on the phone ahead of my stay, I could hardly wait to arrive, due to the kindness and welcome of Anna. All three ladies went out of their way to make sure that every wish was granted and every thing was taken care of.

Room Tip: Go for the oceanfront...it is definitely worth the great view, especially when the morning sun light...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Heidi T
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
savoy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel has pros and also cons
CONS: 1.) when we arrived 3 min after settiling into my room (double non smoking 4 adults) I decided to plug in the iron. Immediately after putting it in the socket it blew a huge flam along with electricity. I wasn't sure if I got electrocuted but I was sure I got burned due to my skin being black. Called up to the front desk and told them about it but all they did was bring a new iron. I then went down and told them I wanted to file a claim just in case I have any symptoms down the road and they COMPLETLY sent me off. Kept saying the GM will contact me and NEVER did. 2.) There was mold on the ceiling in the bathroom, maybe due to them not having a venting fan? also our sink drained realllyyy slow. 3.) The first time the maids cleaned our room they hardly touched it. We actually cleaned up before they came to our room and put our trash in a pile for them to take since it wouldnt fit in the trash. they left it there and put it into a large garbage bag instead and only made our bed. 4.) B fast wasn't enough variety. Some days they started clean up before designated time. We prefered eating elsewhere.
PROS: 1. location was AMAZING. directly across from the beach and in the middle of all the best spots in town. Most bars are walking distance but we wore heels so cab fare was only $5 which is very good. 2. two story walgreens around the corner which is amazing due to items we needed/forgot to bring. 3. our last day they kept our luggage at the front desk while we roamed and enjoyed our last couple of hours which was very helpful. 4. Staff was decent/friendly. Not over achievers, but good character.

All in all i'd recommend this place. location had me amazed. We didnt eat at the resturant attached. I just wish they would have handeled their iron burning my fingers a little better.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank labeouf
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

The location of the hotel is good, right in the action of Ocean Dr.,music, restaurants, party and lots of people all around, and also a lot of fun...
The staff of the hotel are very nice and friendly.
The breakfast is quite good, buffet style with fruits,cereals, boiled eggs,cheese, ham, toast, jam and jelly, milk, juice,.... But breakfast in the restaurants on Ocean Dr is quite cheap ( 4.50$ for eggs, bacon,ham, toast and pancakes !)
The room was just ok.,it needed renovations but it was clean.
We stayed just one night ,before a cruise, so it was okay. If I needed to stay more nights,I would have preferred to stay in nicer rooms.So next time I will probably stay in another hotel.
This is a great hotel for people who want to party and don't care about the rooms.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rhanna1
Garden City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I recently spent a long weekend at this property. First let me say that the friendly and helpful staff assisted me, before I even got there. From my first phone call for a reservation, to sending a valet into the street to wait for me, I was made to feel welcome. The hotel is a classic representation of the 1940's. The decor is simple and retro. The hotel is very clean and neat. We enjoyed the restaurant, A Fish Called Avalon as well. The atmosphere was as wonderful, as the food! A guitar player serenaded us, as we dined on the patio and people watched. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

2 Thank Juliette G