Avalon Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Miami Beach EDITION(Miami Beach)
US$ 455
US$ 450
US$ 324
US$ 255
  • Beachfront
La Flora(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$ 204
  • Bar/Lounge
US$ 276
US$ 203
  • Pool
The Palms Hotel & Spa(Miami Beach)
US$ 261
US$ 213
thepalmshotel.com
  • Pool
W South Beach(Miami Beach)
US$ 537
US$ 350
  • Beachfront
Grand Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)
US$ 328
US$ 318
  • Pool
Shore Club South Beach Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$ 293
US$ 250
  • Pool
Circa 39 Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$ 170
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsocean drivegreat locationsouth beachcontinental breakfastbeach towelsdirectly across the streetwet williesart decoan older hotelvalet parkingcorner roombars and restaurantsvisit miamiocean frontjorgeretroaction
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is one of my favorite places on South Beach. There are nicer places for more money. But for value, this is the best place. Moderately priced, great location, and a hotel staff that is on their game. Unlike the other budget options, this hotel is run like a hotel with more going for it that it's location.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Avalon Hotel is a pleasant little hotel with an excellent restaurant (A Fish Called Avalon) right in the heart of the Art Deco area of South Beach and right across the street from the beach. The rooms were fine and the rates were reaonable. I enjoyed my two day stay there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My friend Claire had to go to Mt. Sinai in Miami for tests to find out if she is a candidate for a life saving heart operation. We decided to have some fun in South Beach at the same time.

The day at Mt. Sinai was exhausting and we were more than ready to have a cocktail by the time we got back to our hotel at 5:30. Our hotel was the Avalon, one of the small hotels on south beach in the art deco district. It had small rooms but a pleasant staff and nice restaurant. They charged me $15 for my Cosmo. We looked at the menu and decided that "Fish on the Avalon" was too pricey. We went next door to the Beacon as it seemed to be more lively and they were having 2/1 drinks. That always appeals to us. The waitress stuffs us into the corner. After all, two senior citizens don’t fit into the scantily clad, young and hip South Beach image. My Cosmo tasted like it was made with rubbing alcohol. I expected to wake up blind the next morning. The waitress was very nice and told us about the specials. I asked about the broiled fish and lobster special and then asked the price. She said it was $65.00. I laughed and said no thanks. I had fettuccine with salmon and asparagus. It turned out to be a glutinous mass of fettuccine topped with two pieces of lox rolled around two scrawny asparagus. No matter it was only $13.50 and didn't taste too bad. The other special was paella. Both Claire and I are good cooks and have made paella and it is not an expensive dish to make especially here in the south where shrimp are cheap. The paella arrives with a whole split lobster sitting on top. Now I laugh again and told Claire that I bet it is $65.00. Claire turns pale and calls the waitress over and asked if this was supposed to be a dish for two. The waitress said no. She then asked what the price was and sure enough it was $65.00 at which point we both wail. The waitress gives Claire a 15% discount. Now Claire is fuming. To make matters worse someone cranked the volume of the music up up to deafening levels. The speaker was positioned directly over my head and the sounds of Lady Gaga, “Rah rah-rah-ah-ah-ah Roma, rhumba-ma Gaga, oh–la-la”, made me jump off my chair. Now not only am I going to be blind the next morning but deaf as well. We finished our dinner and our two cocktails when a monsoon hits. It was raining so hard that it began to leak through the porch roof and walls. It didn't just leak a little; it was a torrent of water that came pouring into a packed restaurant. Everyone scurried and we got absolutely drenched.

I crawled into my pjs and into bed at the Avalon when it hit me that my car was sitting at an expired meter on Ocean Ave. I ran out and handed the keys to the Valet for another $27.00. The parking situation was not mentioned when I booked the room.

It rained most of the night and our room was over the utility room so I listened to banging trash bins and moving furniture all night. This was an upgraded room for it had a “partial ocean view”. You had to crane your neck to see it. It was one of the best values on the beach, however.

The whole experience was so absurd that we just had to laugh. We had tourist rube written all over us.
South Beach is not for us. If Claire is a candidate for surgery, it will have to be soon. You will find me in a tent in the woods.

Room Tip: Ocean view or partial view rooms are over the sidewalk cafes and are exceptionally noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank PaulaL888
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We recently stayed in the Avalon in December and again in January. Great location, clean, also the staff was again very accommodating and friendly. We would especially like to thank Edith, she is very pleasant, courteous, professional and will do anything to make a stay at the Avalon a pleasant experience. We will definitely be back again. Donna & Robert

Room Tip: talk to Edith or George
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donna b
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I "totally" enjoyed being close to the beach, restaurants and shopping areas! The desk staff was very friendly, personable and helpful! The continental breakfast gave me a lot of choices and got my day started. I felt very safe at the Avalon. I also was able to access internet on a computer provided by the hotel. My room accomodations were great! Bed was very comfortable1 (I even had "6" pillows!!!) Bathroom facilities were wonderful! The restaurant was very popular and had a lovely dinner menu! The Avalon was just right! Dorothy
FYI: In order to use the spa and swimming pool, you have to go to another hotel. The other hotel is close by and also has a restaurant.

Room Tip: My room was on the 2nd floor. Easy to access stairs.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo