“Reasonable”

Ranked #101 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Reasonable”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Our first night here was a shocker. We were on the ground floor near the road. Right outside our window was the place where the staff pack up the tables, firstly late at night and then first thing in the morning. Noisy noisy noisy. The bath was blocked. We were moved to a room on the third floor which was much more reasonable. The included breakfast, well, even though it was free, on 2 mornings we voluntarily chose to go and buy breakfast elsewhere. We also were charged money to our visa card after we left, without our permission and are yet to hear back from the sales manager to rectify this situation- email sent over a week ago. Good location, character hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the bottom floor on the road side.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cece S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
costa rica
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is one of my favorite places on South Beach. There are nicer places for more money. But for value, this is the best place. Moderately priced, great location, and a hotel staff that is on their game. Unlike the other budget options, this hotel is run like a hotel with more going for it that it's location.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Oyster Bay, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Avalon Hotel is a pleasant little hotel with an excellent restaurant (A Fish Called Avalon) right in the heart of the Art Deco area of South Beach and right across the street from the beach. The rooms were fine and the rates were reaonable. I enjoyed my two day stay there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Virginia
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My friend Claire had to go to Mt. Sinai in Miami for tests to find out if she is a candidate for a life saving heart operation. We decided to have some fun in South Beach at the same time.

The day at Mt. Sinai was exhausting and we were more than ready to have a cocktail by the time we got back to our hotel at 5:30. Our hotel was the Avalon, one of the small hotels on south beach in the art deco district. It had small rooms but a pleasant staff and nice restaurant. They charged me $15 for my Cosmo. We looked at the menu and decided that "Fish on the Avalon" was too pricey. We went next door to the Beacon as it seemed to be more lively and they were having 2/1 drinks. That always appeals to us. The waitress stuffs us into the corner. After all, two senior citizens don’t fit into the scantily clad, young and hip South Beach image. My Cosmo tasted like it was made with rubbing alcohol. I expected to wake up blind the next morning. The waitress was very nice and told us about the specials. I asked about the broiled fish and lobster special and then asked the price. She said it was $65.00. I laughed and said no thanks. I had fettuccine with salmon and asparagus. It turned out to be a glutinous mass of fettuccine topped with two pieces of lox rolled around two scrawny asparagus. No matter it was only $13.50 and didn't taste too bad. The other special was paella. Both Claire and I are good cooks and have made paella and it is not an expensive dish to make especially here in the south where shrimp are cheap. The paella arrives with a whole split lobster sitting on top. Now I laugh again and told Claire that I bet it is $65.00. Claire turns pale and calls the waitress over and asked if this was supposed to be a dish for two. The waitress said no. She then asked what the price was and sure enough it was $65.00 at which point we both wail. The waitress gives Claire a 15% discount. Now Claire is fuming. To make matters worse someone cranked the volume of the music up up to deafening levels. The speaker was positioned directly over my head and the sounds of Lady Gaga, “Rah rah-rah-ah-ah-ah Roma, rhumba-ma Gaga, oh–la-la”, made me jump off my chair. Now not only am I going to be blind the next morning but deaf as well. We finished our dinner and our two cocktails when a monsoon hits. It was raining so hard that it began to leak through the porch roof and walls. It didn't just leak a little; it was a torrent of water that came pouring into a packed restaurant. Everyone scurried and we got absolutely drenched.

I crawled into my pjs and into bed at the Avalon when it hit me that my car was sitting at an expired meter on Ocean Ave. I ran out and handed the keys to the Valet for another $27.00. The parking situation was not mentioned when I booked the room.

It rained most of the night and our room was over the utility room so I listened to banging trash bins and moving furniture all night. This was an upgraded room for it had a “partial ocean view”. You had to crane your neck to see it. It was one of the best values on the beach, however.

The whole experience was so absurd that we just had to laugh. We had tourist rube written all over us.
South Beach is not for us. If Claire is a candidate for surgery, it will have to be soon. You will find me in a tent in the woods.

Room Tip: Ocean view or partial view rooms are over the sidewalk cafes and are exceptionally noisy.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank PaulaL888
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We recently stayed in the Avalon in December and again in January. Great location, clean, also the staff was again very accommodating and friendly. We would especially like to thank Edith, she is very pleasant, courteous, professional and will do anything to make a stay at the Avalon a pleasant experience. We will definitely be back again. Donna & Robert

Room Tip: talk to Edith or George
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple