“Don't Forget the Tempura Fried Ice Cream”
Review of Katana

Katana
Ranked #321 of 1,165 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 9 August 2015 via mobile

This place was recommend to us by a local. It was a great suggestion! The restaurant is kind of poorly marked and hidden in a strip mall. It is a bit of a hole in the wall but it also has a certain charm to it. The restaurant is dominated by a u-shaped bar surrounded by a canal with tiny sushi boats that you just pull off what you want. Back in the corner is something that looks like a rock wall. It's also kind of dark in there but it didn't bother us.

After a short wait we where seated and had some great sushi. Nothing is labeled and there is no menus, but if you'd had sushi you can easily identify crab, tuna, salmon, eel. Each piece of sushi is on one of several different colored plates that range from $1.50 to $3.50 a plate. Each of these have between 2-6 pieces on them. Things like seaweed salad and fried potstickers also float the river of deliciousness.

Once we'd finished and had stacked up our plates we where about to get our check until I noticed the guy next to me enjoying a tasty looking desert. After inquiring I found out it was tempura fried ice cream. The guy enjoying had been there several times and didn't know about this secret desert until he had seen someone eating it on his last trip to Katana. Yum! We had to try it and it was a great finish to the meal. Upon paying our sever informed us they also have tempura fried cheesecake! Next time I'm in Miami Beach I am definitely coming back and trying that.

A couple notes: I would not recommend coming with a group of more than 4 as seating is a bit limited. Also the earlier you can get there the better, the crowd was out the door when we left.

All in all a great affordable sushi spot in Miami Beach!

Reviewed 1 July 2015

As many have noted the "gimmick" here are the floating boats that pass by. If you've had sushi in other major cities you may have encountered this before. The main thing you need to know is 1) Arrive early! This place is small and if you are not there when the doors open at 6 expect a wait. If you're party is more than two that wait is going to be quite some time for one of the few tables they have to the side of the "river." and 2) Katana Sushi does not have a sign. Look for the Japanese-style lights and door. If you arrive near six there will probably be some people in line,but otherwise this spot can be somewhat difficult to find without a business sign.

1  Thank HolaGatitos
Reviewed 24 June 2015

This is by far my favorite sushi restaurant. EVER. It is so fresh and you can watch them prepare everything right in front of you.

The best part of this dinning experience is the food comes out in a "conveyor method" but as little boats hold the sushi and you grab as they go. This place is so magical and the food is so fresh but be careful the plates add up. Nothing is really label but to quote another reviewer "it doesn't matter everything is so damn good!"

Seating is rather limited with the concept that they have but it is worth the wait. They do serve you drinks as you wait so you can always have your beer/wine to ease the tension of the wait.

This is my manfriend and I special spot because it was one of our first dates venue so it holds a special place in my heart. But if you're ever in the area defiantly worth the visit!

1  Thank JanellR3
Reviewed 21 June 2015

Place was ratty and could use a good cleaning but the sushi was the freshest I have had outside of Japan. I observed the chef and he washed his hands often and used good technique. Sushi is served on rotating boats and you grab without knowing what it is but it does not matter...everything was good.

Reviewed 20 June 2015 via mobile

Have some sushi here its what you came here for and this is a great place to hang out at after midnigt. Friday night and it's cool, relaxing and excitung at the same time.
Even the radio that's on is cool.
Staff is ALL Japanese. Fish is VERY fresh no carry over.
I will come back here with friends and just eat eat eat.
P.S. Toshi is from Fukuoka, Japan.

Been to Katana? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK