“The view!!!”

Ranked #25 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“The view!!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Sonesta is a great hotel overall. I've already stayed there four times with my wife and two girls and have nearly no complaints. I'll start with the few things i don't like and then I'll list the things I love about it.
I don't like the valet parking prices. It's much cheaper to park in the garage next door, plus, it's quicker to pick up your vehicle.
The room decoration could be a little bit more modern, I suppose, at least for my taste, although it's nice enough.
The evening staff at reception are nice, but not overly helpful.
That's where the flaws end, in my view.
On the bright side:
The view is just amazing. Both from the room we had (a very spacious royal palm two bedroom suite) and from the pool. That view of the bayfront and Miami beach skyline simply takes a few pounds off my shoulders.
The pool itself has just the right size to feel like a family pool, and it's heated which to my family is paramount. Plus, the fact that it rests on the 8th floor not only serves the view, but also makes the heat more tolerable in summertime.
The poolside restaurant (Panorama) is good, but i'm not as crazy about it as most people.
The room was great, ample, and very comfortable. We stayed at smaller rooms before and they work nearly as well.
The pillows are the best I've ever had in any hotel.
The gym is very complete and sits on the roof, with a broad view of Coconut Grove.
I love the location too, as it's walking distance from restaurants, shops and a movie theater. And within 10' from the Sunset mall and Coral Gables.
If you're a south beach fan, you're about 20' away. We're not crazy about the beach and driving to trendy south beach with a seven and a three year old is not the best of plans for us.
The whole ambience at the hotel is pleasant.
The manager, elizabeth dubon, was great to us too.
I can't imagine staying at another hotel in miami. it really fulfills or expectations.
Highly recommended!!!!

Room Tip: Pick a room with a bay view. They're more expensive, but opening the drapes to the sea is pricel...
1 Thank paulsommel
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear paulsommel,

We are very pleased that your family has chosen to stay with us when you visit Miami. From your review it is clear that you have experienced our hotel and I am pleased that overall we made your stay enjoyable. Thank you for also sharing items that you did not like as your feedback assists us in continuing to improve our service. We appreciate your business and we hope to see your family again soon.

Director of Operations
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
houston
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Wonderful stay, rooms were large, clean, and equipped with everything, with wirlpool tubs too. Staff was great and caring, abiance was great, every evening candles were lit in hotel lobby, looked and smelled awesome everyday. I loved it would go back again and again.

Room Tip: corner rooms are great views
1 Thank bernadean
Dear bernadean,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel with your family. I will be sure to share with our staff how much you appreciated their efforts. We hope to see you soon.
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Its a nice, clean and good value Hotel... In walking-distance there are numerous restaurants and bars. Me and my girlfriend stayed there for three days and woudl pick that Hotel again for a visit in Miami. It Takes about 30min to Miami-Beach by car.

A negativ point is, that Parking is not included. I recommend not to park in the Hotel-Parking. It is very pricy (like 25$ per day).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear Roger S,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and your comments about your experiences. I am pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations and the area of Coconut Grove. As you reported we provide only Valet Parking at $23 overnight but it is the lowest in the area. We hope to see you again soon.

Ellenwood, Georgia
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The hotel is very nice, and clean. However, the customer service was terrible. I had to constantly call for clean towels each day. It took several phone calls to get housekeeping to bring me clean towels. Also, they charged everyone in my group for at least one item on the open bar. I had my bar locked by the hotel to make sure, we didnt use anything. Also, I was overcharged on my bill. I was quoted one rate, and then at checkout it was highter. I will never stay at this hotel again. I rather spend my money where I am treated better! According to some new policy, you pay $5.00 extra for each person in the room. They never could explain what that menan to me, since it was only 3 people in my room. The customer serivce, and the front desk lack any customes service skills.

2 Thank stephaniescott48
Dear stephaniescott48,

Please accept my apologies for the delays in housekeeping and the miscommunication regarding the daily service charge for all attendees as part of the contract established for your reunion. I have reviewed your comments with our team so that we can continue to improve the service we provide and we appreciate your feedback. We hope you might give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Grupolakas Lakas' experience with the Sonesta Bayfront has always been excellent! The staff is kind and helpful ALL OF THE TIME and the rooms are ALWAYS clean and comfortable, and we have been staying with the Hotel at least one week out of every month for the past 4 to 5 years. The only thing that we feel unhappy with is the recent change in personnel at the valet desk. For the many years that we have been parking our vehicles with the hotel's valet, the service has been impeccable. We have gotten to know each of the younge men who park our vehicles and they know exactly how to please us in where they park our cars and how soon they have them out to us. There is one driver in particular that we have been advised is going to be moved to another location. His name is Oscar Suarez and he has served us faithfully for the past 4 to 5 years, always with a smile and they best disposition, making us feel not only welcome but like we were being received by old friends. We just recently were advised that he will no longer be able to attend to us, as the new management has decided to relocate him elsewhere. Needless to say, we are quite disappointed, as faithful service from an employee should always be recognized and compensated, not relinquished. We feel that an employee such as Oscar Suarez should be accommodated in the hotels schedule, in recognition of his faithful service, and not transferred elsewhere. Our only wish is that management at the Sonesta reconsider his particular situation and afford us the joy of continuing to receive his assistance in parking our vehicles in all of our future visits to Miami.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south sides are quieter and the corner units are definitely larger and sunnier, but any...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Ana Margarita L
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
Dear AnaMargaritaL,
Thank you for your comments about our Valet and for Grupolakas’ continued support of our hotel. We appreciate your comments about Oscar and his service he has provided to you. We are confident that our new staff will continue to provide you with the same level of service you have come to expect from us.