New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Super 8 Melbourne

Super 8 Melbourne
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
Michigan
“HORRIBLE STAFF AND DIRTY ROOMS”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

My husband and I had a terrible experience staying at this motel. We had booked a 3 night stay and when we checked in, the manager fought with us (in front of other customers) claiming that we were staying 4 nights since we were checking in on Thursday and checking out on Sunday (he counted each day - Thurs, Friday, Saturday and Sunday as a separate night, even though we were only staying Thursday, Friday and Saturday night and checking out on Sunday. He was extremely rude and it took 15 minutes of arguing with him for him to agree that it was only a 3 night stay. What was worse is that our room was a dump. It did not appear to have been cleaned as someone else's hair was in the tub, on a towel and in our sheets. Overall it was disgusting and we decided to check out the next day (Friday). However, since the manager charged our credit card for the entire stay when we checked in, we called Super 8's customer service to find out what our recourse was rather than getting into another argument with the manager. Unfortunately, Super 8's customer service informed him that I called before we checked out, so he was upset and extremely argumentative about our reasons for wanting to check out. Since we were trying to check out 2 hours past the check out time, after yelling at us for 5 minutes, he agreed to refund us for Saturday night's stay only and charge us for Friday since we were 2 hours past check out. The only problem, which he quickly realized was that Saturday night's rate was higher than Friday night's rate, so he tried to refund us the lower amount, which resulted in more arguing. Finally, he refunded us Saturday night's rate. We were extremely upset. We have never been spoken to by a hotel or motel manager that way. Super 8's customer service was unwilling to address our complaints and as a result, we will never stay at another Super 8 again. There are several other hotels in the area to choose from that look much nicer than this. Save your money and do not stay at this motel!

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelLover114
VijjayGM, Manager at Super 8 Melbourne, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
We apolgise for the problems you encountered at our Super 8. Issues like these are not common.
Every effort is made to provide a clean and welcome atmosphere for all guests.
We certainly hope you will give us another chance and visit again when you are in the Melbourne area.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Tarpon Springs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

For the price this was just as I expected. The room & bath were clean as was the bedding. Coffee was available in the room & the TV reception was fine. Check-in was fast & effecient. There is a railroad track nearby - and - unfortunately the railroad runs mostly at night (but that is NOT the hotel's problem). A Burger King is the only food nearby (walking).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MJGoldfarb
Thank you for staying with us, and for the review.
Next time you visit, don't forget about all the great restaurants and clubs in Historic Downtown. It is just a 8 minute walk.
See you next time.
Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2008

My husband and 2 of my 4 children stayed here only because there was no where else that we could find with rooms available. At the time we didnt know the area. It was New Years Eve and we paid $95.00! At check in the clerk was more worried about the friend in there talking to her than us. I know I stood there for 10 minutes listening to them talk about there plans for the night, but we had just drove 15 hrs and were tired.The place smelled awful, like urine, and cheap perfume! Thankfully I always travel with my own sheets, pillows,and blankets. The ones there were burnt with cigarett holes and they smelled terrible. As the day turned into night things got worse. I was tempted to leave because there were people drunk all over the parking lot! Bums asking for money inside and out! Drug deals going on in the parking lot and god knows what else that we did'nt see. It was New Years and I know people party but it was unbelievable. We locked the doors turned the t.v up and stayed in till morning light! It was so bad and there were no other places to stay (at the time we were not familiar with the area.) I was tempted to stay in my explorer except I had my children with me and it was so unsafe in the motel and the parking lot the area was'nt very safe either. All night we had people banging at our door we had to call the police. Of course they were gone by the time they arrived. We left the next morning and found a hotel that was alot more expensive but worth it for my childrens safety. I did'nt even ask for a refund because I knew by the clerks attitude and all the help we did'nt get when we called about all the stuff going on and we could'nt get out of there fast enough! I don't know how this place is still in business and I saw on other reviews that it was inexpensive but that was'nt our case mabey because of it being New Years but it was'nt worth $2.00! I would'nt recomened it to my worst enemy!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank kettots
Lockport, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2008

Where do I start? I checked into this poor excuse for a motel while visiting my cousin in Melbourne. The first impression was horrific... The hallways, reeked of urine / mothballs / funk. We dropped off our luggage in the room, and the sheets and pillowcases were covered in hair (head hair and pubic hair). I told the staff about it, and they offered to give me ONLY 1 SHEET. I requested all new linens, and the Manager initially refused (by saying "If you want 2 sheets, go to the Mariott, or the Holiday Inn, Here you get 1 Sheet."), and I threatened to have the Health Department respond to the motel, so he did change his mind, and give me an additional sheet.. I complained about the smell of the room, and the Manager offered me a spray. HA ! He never did give me any spray... I was expecting the "spray" to be Raid, or something.... One of my lamps in my room had no bulb, and the other looks like someone got slammed into the lampshade... again, filthy and disgusting....

Upon returning to the room with my sheets, I found piles of dog crap all down the already disgustiong hallway, (at which point I started taking pictures) so I reported this to the manager, and his response was, "Housekeeping will get it tomorrow.... " I suggested (demanded) that he clean it up, or again,the health department would be called.... After watching him wipe the poo with dry towel, using no disinfectant, I grabbed my suitcases, and checked out (I was at the hotel for less than 2 hours) The manager refused to give me more than 50% refund, so I called the Corporate Super 8 office to report this poor excuse for a motel...

The corporate office said it is independently owned and operated under a franchise, and the local management has (pretty much) the final say as to issues like a refund, etc. They did state that they would contact the management, and review the case within 7 days... (It has been 2 now...) I have not heard anything back from them yet.... However, I have reported (filed a formal complaint) this Motel to the STATE OF FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION, which is the State Authority that regulates all hotel/motel/restaurant, etc. in the State of Florida. The attached pictures are real, and they are the same pictures that I submitted to the State of Florida.

Hopefully this establishment will be shut down, it is a SERIOUS Health and Safety risk for anyone that is in the building. I ended up paying more than what I was charged for a night at the Super 8, to switch to a Mariott in Melbourne (which I would HIGHLY RECCOMMEND). The Super 8 charged me $75/room (I had 2 rooms rented) and the Mariott charged me $94 (with AAA).... pay the extra, and save yourself a headache ! AVOID THIS MOTEL AT ALL COSTS !

One poor experience at this motel will GUARANTEE I will never stay at a Super 8 again..... Especially when the corporate office seems like they don't care.... however, I hope they will assist us in getting a refund on the room.

• Liked — Close to the Beach
  • Disliked — Customer Service was non-existant, rooms were unfit to be occupied. (Health & Safety)
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank BigfootTC
Dunedin FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2007

Have stayed at this hotel twice mainly because the price was right, around $65. You can't expect a whole lot for that kind of price anymore but it was not disgusting whenI was there. There was some parking lot action at night which was a little distracting. It is worth mentioning that after the hurricanes there were literally hundreds of hotels in Fl that became homes to storm victims or the construction workers in state to rebuild. Most of that type of thing is over with by now.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — run down area around hotel
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple