“You'll crave this! I promise!”
Review of Capital Tacos

Capital Tacos
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Land O Lakes
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 1 April 2016

I fell upon this place awhile back after passing by it a hundred times. Nestled in the all too familiar setting of a strip mall in Land O' Lakes, one can easily miss it. The name rang a bell and I remembered reading something about an amazing taco place in North Tampa. This turned out to be it. We now go there on average once a week. Chipotle is old news in our family's book. Sorry. There is something for everyone here. They have amazing, but totally unusual, combinations of super fresh and tasty meats,veggies, spices, beans, rice, fruits, salsas, and cheeses in their offerings, and at different heat levels. Also, be sure to check out the taco of the month. Always unusual, always delicious. This certainly isn't your standard chain food or Mexican joint. Expect the unexpected here. One can get a head start and peruse their combinations on their website because it might take awhile to settle on one thing. So don't. The great thing is that each combination is offered as a taco (hard or soft), salad, nachos, bowl, burrito or wet burrito. I often order two or three different tacos just to satisfy all my cravings. I have too many favorites to list and particularly like the spicy items, but the hen house or catawampus are awesome choices for a timid palate. They have also expanded their items to include vegetarian and gluten free options. There really is something for EVERYONE. For the wee ones or the faint at heart (and mouth), they do offer a "plain jane" option, which is really just the nuts and bolts of a taco with nothing more exciting than sour cream. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that they also have an ALL DAY BREAKFAST menu. Admittedly, I have only tried one thing on that menu but it was as incredible as their other items. I have a goal and need to commit to trying more breakfast burritos, but I am a sucker for a few of my lunch/dinner favorites and keep on going back to them. I'm crazy about their black beans and rice which are included in the burritos and the bowls. Pinto beans are an alternative if you prefer. If you like hot, try something that contains their juicy marinated jalapeños. Sometimes I order them on the side and add it to a milder entree to give it a kick. And don't leave without sampling their queso dip or the handcrafted flavored sodas (with free refills). The black cherry and root beer are my two favorites. Friendly and attentive, the staff does a great job at moving the line along quickly and getting food to you in a jiffy! Tip: call ahead to pick up because seating is at a premium. I almost hate to give this place a great review since I love having a foodie secret in LOL, but Capital Tacos and their staff deserve it so I guess I'll have to share it with everyone.

1  Thank luv2wandergirl

Reviewed 16 March 2016

We have been there several times (family/friends/business) and eaten many things on the menu. Our son anxiously awaits the newly featured meal item of the month. Best Mexican food in town!

Reviewed 15 March 2016 via mobile

I love the meatless and my husband loves the meat. It works for both of us! The options are a little different than the typical Mexican food. They make it great! Try the quest, too.

Reviewed 15 March 2016 via mobile

Love love love this place… Sad day when I moved from Land O Lakes… Have to visit again when I go back up.

Reviewed 8 March 2016

My wife and I were looking for a new place to go to lunch, and we've heard so much about this place that we decided to check it out.

From the outside, the strip mall they are in is pretty danky. Not sure I would go here by myself late at night, but hey, that's just me.

I ordered two Beef Fajita Taco's and my wife order a Chicken Fajita bowl. You can order the food by either taco, burrito, or bowl and you can choose what you want to include for the ingredients. We waited maybe 4 minutes before our food was ready to take (we did take out).

If you decide to eat-in, it's a small dining area, with some tables outside as well, but again, it's a "danky" location. The inside of the restaurant was very nice and they had an impressive mix of drinks and beers to go with your food as well.

After getting home, my wife and I both tore into our food. Simply put, it was the best taco's that I've ever had, and I've been to the Southwest several times. Sounds crazy, but it was like a flavor explosion in my mouth ... I am very rarely impressed, but these taco's were just plain awesome.

As a side note, we noted on the menu that they serve breakfast....very curious to check that out!

So, if your looking for some great mexican food (at least the taco's and fajitas), check this place out, you will be impressed. If you want to see some pictures of the restaurant or food, do a search on the web to find them.