New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Maingate Lakeside Resort

Maingate Lakeside Resort
Ranked #92 of 160 Hotels in Kissimmee
Louisville, Kentucky
“Seemed OK - But no one was going to go out of their way.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Reading some of the reviews I was concerned. The rooms are some what dated. Beds were pretty bad. There were 3 "Adult" pools but only 1 of them was open and this is a spring break week? This was spring break folks..... why did everyone have to pile into 1 pool. There was no one manning the Pizza Hut location when I tried to order and they were delivering an order to the complex. It was a good location and reasonably priced, one particular issue hacked me off. We returned from one of the parks for our 3rd night of our 4 day stay and didnt have enough towels. I personally walked to the front desk and requested additional towels 30-40 min later we called again and requested them again for the 2nd time and they never came. The sad part was that our building was one of the closest to their laundry facility. The 4th night we at least hoped for improvement but the same inadiquate amount of towels were left. Heck they didnt even replenish the toilet paper when we hit the auxillary roll. If I had called to try and get another roll I probably would have not gotten that either. Luckly there is a Walgreens in the parking lot that you can get some if it gets that bad. Probably would not stay here again.

1 Thank Jason S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Finnish first
Clemson, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

They charge a "resort fee" in addition to your cost of stay. Clean but solid 2.5 star. Rooms are roomy with lots of space, fridge. Bathroom is small. Overall it was a 2 star that has been painted etc... to bring it to a 2.5 star. Decent place to stay on the cheap at Disney. Look for MLR in balls on sign near the Walgreens as you head away from Kissimee to find this hotel. There is a Publix, Target etc.. down the road towards the Turnpike and a Winn Dixie grocery store across the street (WD is within walking distance of hotel).

3 Thank imdarkside
Randolph, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

LOVED our stay! I was a bit put off by some of the negative reviews but we really didn't encounter any of the problems other people had. Our room was cleaned every day and towels were replenished, I even asked one of the housekeeping ladies for extra towels to put in my room (based on reviews I read) but didn't really need them, however, the towels are very small...I brought some from home as well based on reviews. Bugs, you're in Florida people, there are going to be bugs, the lovebugs don't bother anyone but there are red fire ants, I did not encounter any bed bugs, I brought one of those Off Clip on discs and had it on all day at pool and turned on every night before bed (again, based on other reviews) and had absolutely no issues. I was not fond of the pillows but that is because I prefer firm ones. Yes, they don't use full sheets on the bed, but all other sheets were neatly tucked and it presented no problems. No, it isn't the Hilton, but for the price you pay did anyone really expect that. Yes, hotel could use some maintenance but I called ahead and requested renovated room and they happily granted me that. Miniature golf course isn't very great but it's free along with the use of basketball and court which my son thoroughly enjoyed, along with the arcade room. General store inside also sold snacks, beer, wine, and cigarettes. Pool by building 1-3 is heated at night and open till 11pm, unlike the pool by the other building, there is no lifeguard though, and I was in the pool till 1am at times. Great thing about that pool is that every night at 8pm they show a movie for the kids, my son, and all the kids (as well as myself) loved this. Breakfast buffet was not the best, but definitely edible and doable at $8.50 and kids eat free, the rest of the food there was good though, and reasonably priced. There is a pizza hut on premise, and they also serve food from the restaurant there which is also available at the tiki bar by the pool (by building 1). There are places to eat right on the street when you walk out like Cici's, Fridays, Red Lobster, Dennys, Crackerbarrel, etc, as well as a Winn Dixie across the street (to buy snacks for your fridge) and a 24 Wallgreens literally in the parking lot of hotel. Only thing I didn't like was that the shuttles to attractions only leave to go to certain places at certain times and the same with returns, BUT that was nothing cause if you plan your day you can make it so that you can come back later if you want from another pickup location since all the Disney Busses are free and you could just take a bus from there to catch the hotel shuttle at a different park and return time. Other than that, this was a very family friendly hotel with lots to keep the kids busy AND happy and feasible options for transportation to your theme parks. My son loved this place, we hung out there for 3 full days he had so much fun and said he didn't wanna leave anywhere. If you just want somewhere to hang with the kids and a clean, comfortable room to sleep in after long days at the parks then look no further, great value for the price. All the staff was friendly and helpful. I am a single mom so finding places my son enjoys, that are safe and comfortable for him are my top priority, and this did it. He said he wants to come here every year for vacation!

Room Tip: If you wanna be by the heated pool that stays open late and shows a movie at 8pm request building 1...
3 Thank jlamruiz
Mesa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed 5 nights. Staff were excellent, every day. Responded cheerfully to requests. Room was basic and a bit run down, but housekeeper did a very good job. Breakfast buffet pretty good. Grounds were not well kept and the overall exterior building condition is bordering on poor. Air conditioning unit didn't work properly and windows don't open so sleeping was uncomfortably warm with the A/C unit off, and unbearably noisy with the A/C unit on. Price was right though considering. Get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Laurie J

Travellers are raving about these Kissimmee hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

During our last trip to Disney we booked a room at the Maingaie Lakeside resort. I would have to say I am extremely dissatisfied with the experience as a whole. In recap. We checked in and got settled in the room and were there less than an hour settling in and hooking up the Xbox so that my special needs child could watch her shows and be comfortable. We then departed for dinner and were gone for no more than an hour when we returned to find our room had been burglarized and about a thousand dollars of our things stolen. After calling local police and making a report and speaking to "security" who notified us that there is no surveillance at the maingate lakeside and going through all the report filing, fingerprinting and other typical legalities we were referred to corporate who promptly told us they were not responsible and that hotel management found no irregularities in their card read if and if we wanted any kind of reimbursement we would need to go through our own home-owners /renters insurance. We were also charged full price for the room and the "resort" fee even after all of this occurred. Now I have stayed ay some pretty shoddy motels in some bad parts of town in my day and never before have I been so blatantly screwed over at any of those places. And here I booked the room thinking it was a nice place that was secure and "family friendly" like their website claims. Overall; poor lighting, non-existing security measures and personnel, easily broken into doors, rude staff and crappy rooms and some suspiciousness directed at the staff at this place I would definitely recommend against staying here.

• Stayed March 2012