Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
nicandalec
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Horrible Cancellation Service

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 11 Jun 2011
i just spent almost one hour on the phone with this resort trying to get my refund from a stay i booked last month. i choose the flexible rate to make sure that i would get a refund in case i had to cancel. the staff was completely unhelpful and unkind. long story short i am not getting my $128.00 refund which i am completely entitled to. this is a vacation home property and once the owners have your money you will not get it back. anyone who chooses to stay here beware that if you arent absoulutely sure that you wont have to cancel then do not stay here because you will not receive a refund. there are so many good hotels in Orlando with great customer service and this is not one of them.
Trip type: Travelled with family
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded 16 Jun 2011
Good day. We’re sorry to hear you had to cancel your vacation with us :( Without knowing the details of your reservation, it’s hard for us to offer an insightful response. However, your review brings up a good point: It’s important to familiarize yourself with the details of the reservation and rate requirements prior to booking. Often times, hotels and resorts have a 72-hour cancellation policy, which means that a one-night deposit may not be refundable if you’re canceling within the 72-hour window. Additionally, many hospitality companies (airlines, cruise and tour operators, hotels and resorts) are offering reduced rates during these tough economic times. While the rates are indeed a good deal, sometimes they are non-refundable or transferable rates. So, it’s important to fully understand what you’re getting before you book. To clear up a misunderstanding in your review, we are a vacation ownership property, however, our owner and members do not profit (nor do they receive funds) from our rental guests. Just like a hotel, those proceeds go to the up-keep, cleaning, maintenance and management of the villa and the resort grounds. Thanks for understanding.

In your review, you say you’re entitled to a full refund. If that’s the case we’d like to see you get it, which is why we’ve attempted to contact you in a more private setting so we can look into your reservation and work with you to provide a resolve. Your business is very important to us, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you. Best.
₹9,547
  • Official Hotel
27.9 km from Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort, an IHG Hotel
View more hotels in Kissimmee
9,268 results
All reviews river island east village lazy river time share mini golf splash lagoon bedroom villa timeshare presentation hard sell putt putt parking pass timeshare sales rci exchange full kitchen super target water slides washer and dryer
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Overall we had a nice stay here. I had been forewarned about the sales pitch when checking in & about the $20 voucher so we did not try to redeem it. (This was a helpful hint from another Tripadvisor member). We just wanted to stay for a couple of days, not buy anything. We had no phone calls for a presentation as others stated.

We stayed in the high rise (2 bedroom) on River Island. The rooms were very clean, very nice & spacious. For the price you couldn't beat it. Since they have full kitchens, a washer & dryer etc. you really have all the comforts of home. After traveling for 4 days when we got there it was nice to do a couple of loads of laundry.

Some of the negatives I found was just trying to call this place. I wanted to make sure I was on River Island, however it took at least 4 transfers to finally get the reservation desk & every time I'd ask for a direct line phone number, no one could give it to me. I had also asked for a view of the pool. We got a view of the street. I did call to complain & was told there were no guarantees when you book as to which area (River Island, etc) you get or which view. We had a great screened in porch but looking out at the parking lot didn't excite me. i felt a bit closed in since we kept the curtains pulled for privacy. In order to get the feel of the resort we had to walk down our hall & down 3 flights of steps to even see the pool area.

We noticed the restaurant info given to us at check in must have been the lunch prices, since we stopped by one restaurant for dinner & prices were double. We tried to call for Pizza Delivery from the resort pizza restaurant, but delivery time was 1 1/2 hrs.. Only 1/2 hr. if you could pick up yourself. Stores located on the property were pricey. We found going to the Publix close by was a better deal.

Something I hadn't heard from other Tripadvisor member reviews was this resort uses your room key card for on-site purchases. No cash is used here. Since this really wasn't a hotel, daily cleaning wasn't the normal & you did have to pay for those services. We were only there for a couple of days so that didn't really matter. It would have been nice to get have extra shampoo & coffee, but we were forced to buy the extra's we needed since we never saw any maid service while we were there (not sure we would have gotten it anyway)..

As always with the phone service it was hard to find someone to answer a question. I tried the morning we left to find out where the trash containers were but could never get anyone to answer the phone at 6:00 am. Yes, they ask you to take out your own trash & put it in the proper place - but they never said where it is. I looked at the end of the hallways but never found it until we were walking out the door. It was located next to the elevators.

We did not use the lazy river so we didn't need to rent a tube for $9, however by mid to late afternoon, I noticed a number of tubes laying around that people had left. Others were just picking them up & using them to save on rental fee.

Overall this resort had some small negatives to it but again our villa was very nice, clean and reasonably priced. If you want someone to wait on you then this resort probably isn't for you since there is no front desk attendant in your building (check in is in another area of the resort) & no maid service unless you pay extra. A car is definitely needed here.

3  Thank Omahatraveler17
Reviewed 9 June 2011

The good: The resort is beautiful, has decent golf facilities and the family very much enjoyed the various pools. We were able to use a different pool each day we were there and had fun at all of them. But that is where the good ends.

The bad: The staff is terrible. As soon as you arrive you are hammered into taking the tour of the facility as they attempt to sell you the experience. I was here for a vacation not a god for saken sales pitch. Once we got to the room it got even better... You had to walk thru a wall of spider webs just to get to the door as no one wiped them from around the door. The room was dirty. When we turned on the lights they were covered with cob webs. Extremely easy to see considering someone had supposedly just cleaned the room. The shower liner in one bathroom was completly covered with mold and mildew. It was white at one time but not with that much coverage. The second bathroom was missing a liner. Some of the towels had stains and I wondered if they had even been washed. I attempted to contact the front desk only to be booted around over and over again. Once I finally got tired of this I drove down to the lobby to discuss with a supervisor in person only to be told they were all out or on lunch. I was ok with that as the person at the desk said they would address the issues and have a manager contact me as soon as possible. Lets just say no one ever came to the room with the new liners or towels. I ended up doing the towels myself and cleaning all the fixtures and using some of the cleaning supplies they left on my first night as they didn't believe I was important enough to come down and address these issues. I find this funny as they believe I have to be right on time for the sales tour or they keep my deposit. Are they held accountable for anything? Nope... So I would say the facility is ok and was fun for my family but the Management is some of the worst I have ever dealt with, the staff is incompitent and could really care less about you as the customer. Example (while waiting for our kids to use the bungie the guys running it were discussing the girls they were dating and what they were doing with them. Lets just say the rating should have been G but jumped to R rather quickly. Also while they were talking they paid no attention to the time each child was on the unit. Some would actually jump for 15 minutes or more and some 3 minutes or less. At one point 2 parents nearly got into a fist fight as they had waited for 45 minutes to go on the bungie ride only to get about 4 bounces and then watch another go for 15 as they talked about who they were dating this weekend. This is a fine example of the type of staff working here.

Overall it would have been a great experience had the staff actually cared about what they did but in the end the pools were the only reason we stayed for the full 3 days. Hope the final day as we leave on the 10th helps make up for the poor stay and maybe that Manager will actually realize I am still here waiting for someone to contact me. Should be fun tomorrow as we have the sales pitch first thing in the morning. Looking forward to tell them I would never buy into something this poorly run. Hope the breakfast makes it worth the time.

5  Thank Gndmwing
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake Resort, an IHG Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2011

Thank you for visiting Holiday Inn Club Vacations. While we’re happy to hear you say we have an excellent facility and that you enjoyed your time at each of our nine pools, we are not enthusiastic about some of the comments you’ve left. However, we do appreciate them. So, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is through reviews such as yours that we are able to learn from our guests and improve on the family vacation atmosphere we provide. That said, it’s disappointing to learn that we were not able to connect with you while you were still on property. However, we’ve attempted to contact you here so we can better address your concerns and correct where we may have gone wrong. We hope you will consider getting back to us, as the experience you describe does not sound to be representative of the vacations most experience with us.

Before we go though, we also wanted to say thank you for joining us on the resort tour/preview. We understand your reluctance to experience the benefits of vacation ownership first-hand, based on the experience you describe. However, we look forward to the opportunity to make it right and hope to speak with you soon. All the best.

Reviewed 9 June 2011

** Positive: Our 2 bedroom villa was great. Clean, very spacious and well equipped (kitchen, tv in every room...). The location of the resort is also great. Just 20 minutes drive to wdw animal kingdom and the otther theme parks. There are about 5 pools all over the resort. Smallers and biggers. Including a lazy river, which is nice. The environment was quiet, so the sleeping quality was very good. We bought our wdw tickets at the resort and saved approv. 80 usd (just for 2 adults and 1 child!) - a great deal!

** Negative: To get the discount on wdw tickets you (and your wife!) must attend that sales presentation of (told) 90 minutes where they want to sell you a time share. (As already descriped many times.) We absolutely did not want to buy anything but we knew that that is part of the deal for the discounts. Ok. We were ready for an aggressive sales presentation and something between hard and boring 90 minutes. But it came worse. At the very beginning we told the sales rep that he shall take any shortcut he can because we will definitely not buy anything and that it is not very a pleasure for our two young kids (4 and 2 years) which were with us. He kind of ignored us and showed us different places. After several reminders from myself regarding the 90 minutes I had to get a bit unfriendly and inpolite and harsh 120 minutes when a second person wanted to take care of us for the offer details. - And it worked. Suddenly another guy (in tie now) accompanied us to the counter where we could buy our discounted tix.

** Overall: Great and huge resort where you get a lot for very good money. Attend the sales presentation to get a substiantial discounts on the disney tix. But be harsh after 90 minuts if you do not want to buy. That's the only way to get out of this sales machinery. Otherwise you will spend hours in there and finaly you probably will cry (like 3 women we had seen). Good luck!

Date of stay: May 2011
3  Thank trollissimo
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We had a great time staying in this resort. We enjoyed the lazy river a lot, though they charging for tubes and they closed the slides at 8pm. We stayed in a two bedroom unit. We had a fairway view of the golf course, which my husband like the most, he was just disappointed when he went to driving range
and they did'nt let him play because he was not wearing a collared shirt.
We also liked that its closer to a grocery store and restaurants. I did'nt claim the $20 voucher cos i know that they will ask us to buy a time share. We will deffinitely come back here.

Date of stay: May 2011
1  Thank Ets127
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Let me start out with the positives. The room itself was big nice bed nice kitchen tv everything up to par. The pools and the landscape looked nice and was well maintained (didnt play golf).... So what you might ask is the reasons I'm never going back. There are several. FIRST is the timeshare presentation as soon as you check in you are presented a "voucher" for 20 dollars. Then a worker who will be overly enthusiastic will bring you over to a second desk where you are ask several questions and enticed with coupons and possibly even money for a "90 mintue" presentation. This presentation is where they try to sell you a time share and it takes close to 3 hours!!! and thats if you say no!! (which we did). But it is not just saying no ... it is saying no to 4 different people for 5 times each. For example I was told since I am a physician that "Thats a stressful line of work if you don't take some vacations you'll probably wind up with a heart attack" SECOND PROBLEM we were told that there "were no discount tickets to the amusment parks (disney/ universal) until after we already purchased the full price tickets at the check in desk... apparently you have to go to a side desk to get them and the check in desk apparently doesnt have this knowledge so there goes 50 dollars. THIRD lazy river sounds great but unfortunately you have to pay $9 per tube for the day. FOURTH We were politely informed we get to wash our own towels since this is "not a hotel" awesome and also you get to clean your room but they will be happy to do it for a fee. Also in this category only room service is delivery from "paisan pizzeria"

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
14  Thank halzyea13

Hello NYC! We appreciate you staying with us and sharing the positive aspects of your stay. Like many of our first time guests, you sound to be pleased with the size and décor of the villas and WOWed by our landscaped resort grounds. However, your review points out some of the ways we are different than a traditional hotel, and we thank you for that.

1- As a vacation ownership resort who respects the space and privacy of our guests, we do not provide a complimentary daily housekeeping service. There are, however, two different levels cleaning services available for a nominal charge. We do our best to communicate this in advance to all of our guests and include it on all of our listings / reservation confirmations as not to surprise you upon arrival.

2- Although we have 9 restaurants and eateries on property, they do not provide room service to to our 2,500 villas. However, as you mention in your review, Paisan Pizzeria, located in West Village, will deliver to your room and anywhere on property for that matter. Unfortunately, we are simply too big and spread out to offer a traditional room service and still maintain an acceptable quality. Who would want cold food for room service?

3- We are a family-friendly vacation ownership resort, which is pleased to extend the benefits and exclusivity of membership to the public through rental reservations. While we are pleased to present you with these benefits during our resort tour / preview, it is completely optional for our rental guests to attend. So, there is no obligation to attend or purchase, however, we do provide incentives such as discounted attraction tickets, cash vouchers and more should you decide to join us. Many guests find great value in these and we thank you for taking advantage of them. At the same time, we apologize if the sales associate insinuated the stressful nature of your profession and leveraged it towards a sale.

Lastly, discount attraction tickets to Orlando’s major theme parks are bit of a grey area. At the parks there are not discount attraction tickets, and the front desk was correct in telling you that. However, depending on your affiliation with AAA, Military or vacation ownership resorts like us, there is a minor discount that can be extended. That can add up depending on how many and what kind of tickets you plan on purchasing. In fact, we have a Disney Planning Center located inside the front desk at the West Village Clubhouse that does offer slightly discounted tickets to our owners, members and guests. We’re sorry if this was not communicated to you prior to your purchase.

Thanks again for your review! We’re disappointed not to see you again :(