“Professional shop”

Hall's Diving Center
Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

The shop is nice. The crew was knowledgeable and did a great job explaining the reef. We are experienced divers but I have back issues- they were super helpful getting me in and out of the water.
The dives were good, not the best viz since Irma stirred everything up but 20-25 feet with lots of coral and fish to see. So the dives are still worth it
The dive shops all took hits from Irma and they need us divers to come back.
So come back to the keys! The water is great, the reefs are still pretty

1  Thank 2DiveBums
Bob B, Owner at Hall's Diving Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Thank you for your nice comments. It is customers like you that make me never want to quit. Forty-four years of showing our customers a good time while living in paradise. For me, it doesn't get any better than this. As customers - your the BEST. Thanks for making my day. I will relay your compliments to my staff. Come see us again, real soon.

All reviews
"keys"
in 17 reviews
"currents"

Reviewed 14 June 2017

Making a reservation is just a formality for them, they don't honor them at all. My father and I are very experienced divers and called three months ago to dive the Thunderbolt, explaining we are coming down to dive the entire keys wreck treck. One week before our trip, we called to confirm that our trip to the Thunderbolt is still good - and they confirmed that we are all set. We show up the morning of our trip and while checking in, the general manager Randy makes a comment "I hope the other two people show up so we can go out." At this point, he calls them and some misunderstanding was made over their reservation. He then tells my father and I that the trip is canceled due to not enough people, after we made this reservation THREE MONTHS AGO. My father then asked to speak to Randy aside, and he said he needs four people to run the trip, which we then offered to pay for four spots so that we can dive. He stumbled for words and explained "well that would be a private charter price," so which is it, 4 paying customers or $500 private charter. I am an active SSI AOWSI and PADI MSDT and currently work in Miami Beach for a dive shop there, and never have I had something so frustrating without even a sincere apology or phone call the day before to let us know that the trip has a low number of people.

Very unprofessional and extremely disappointing especially to my father, who flew down from New Jersey for this dive trip for Father's Day week. Upsetting experience all around on this trip, especially as an instructor and dive professional myself, this customer service is unacceptable.

We will now be diving the thunderbolt wreck with Tilden's dive shop, who was more than happy to accommodate us in a couple days, and guaranteed not to cancel on us. Luckily, Tilden's saved our dive vacation and wreck treck trip, and Looe Key Dive Shop was also very accommodating to reschedule our Adolphus Bush trip from morning to afternoon.

5  Thank Lauren M
Bob B, Owner at Hall's Diving Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2017

We are very sorry that we were not able to run this trip for you. Unfortunately, the other customers that had made reservations for that trip cancelled at the last minute. There was no way that we could have warned you in advance because the other folks did not give us any notice. They just did not show and when we called them they said, "Sorry but we have been out partying the night before and everybody wants to sleep in." I agree that it was very inconsiderate of them but these things happen. It is out of our control. I know that is very disappointing to you. You have my sincere apology.

When you book a trip on a boat that is dependent on other divers to also pay for part of the fare and they cancel, or for other reasons like the boat breaks, the crew is disabled or the weather fails, it is possible for that trip to not run.

Please be forewarned, as previously mentioned, because of circumstances out of our control these trips are never guaranteed. It is unlikely that something like this can happen. But, it is a gamble and it did happen. We do not run private charters. Sorry that it did not work for you. Next time you are down come see me and I will do every reasonable thing in my power to try to make this up to you.

Bob Brayman
Owner/Operator
Hall's Diving Center & Career Institute

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

An amazing school and experience! This is the only school you should attend if you have a passion for diving and career. Diving just about every day doesn't hurt either. If your looking for a career or fun Hall's diving center is your true answer.

And if your in the need to purchase gear you have a full service shop with the finest staff that will entertain all your diving needs!

1  Thank Phillip P
Bob B, Owner at Hall's Diving Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2017

Phillip,
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on The International Diving Career Institute at Hall's and Hall's Diving Center. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us at Hall's. Phillip, as a graduate , you know we strive for professionalism. We are looking forward in the near future a visit from you.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

We booked a `try-scuba' intro (pool session plus 2 tank dive - website said $200 for 2+ divers, but we were charged $250 each) for 2 people, and booked a simultaneous snorkel trip ($50 each for two snorkelers) so the whole family could go. They mentioned it would be rough and suggested that we take dramamine, but they did not mention the 6-8 foot seas and the really crazy (borderline unsafe ?) getting in & out of the water. [The boat crew and staff were very professional and helpful throughout.]

The divers took their first dive, which was OK, but getting back to and into the boat was really difficult. That plus the rough seas led us to decide not to do the second dive. The snorkelers meanwhile were seasick and stayed on the boat. As a former lifeguard, I wasn't sure how the snorkelers would safely have managed in those conditions - with cresting whitecaps We decided to head back in early. About $650 for essentially a 1-tank dive for 2 people.

Here's what would have been great - a) not just a mention of dramamine but a more detailed description of what "rough" meant - i.e., 6-8 foot seas, underwater currents, challenging return to boat, etc. b) a strong suggestion that the snorkelers come another time, or to reschedule the whole trip for a better day. c) afterwards, an offer to comp the second tank dive or at least another snorkel trip. I inquired about this but got no response.

So as you can see part of this is on us. Somehow we should have known better. But at $650 we're also paying for their expertise and advice.

You decide.

1  Thank robcristybenson
Bob B, Owner at Hall's Diving Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

I am sorry you had a bad time with the rough seas. Until I read your review on Trip Advisor I was not aware that you were unhappy. I make every effort to make sure my customers have a good time and enjoy their diving with us. Unfortunately, I can not make up for mother nature. She has the final call. We had a nearly full boat on the morning trip the same day you went out in the afternoon. Everybody did fine. No indication from those customers that it was too rough to dive. I am very sorry that you found the sea conditions more than you care to handle. Please forgive us for not being able to tell that. We look at every indication that we have at our disposal. Sometimes what is too rough for some is not too rough for others.

For the future please keep in mind that if there is NO wind there is no sea. You had plenty of wind on the day you went. Which we warned you about. If there is going to be rough seas you have the option to cancel, or go, or go and take the medication we suggested (like Dramamine) to prevent sea sickness, or go on the trip and wear "sea bands" to prevent sea sickness. In hindsight it appears it would have been better for you to cancel and make it another day. We would have gladly accommodated you either way. Outside of that we can't do anything about your choices except say, "We are sorry you had a bad experience and decided to skip your second dive."

Please contact me when you return here again. Pick, a little or NO wind day, and we will gladly compliment the cost for your second dive. Hope to see you again soon.

Bob Brayman, Owner