“A Cheap Place To Stay”
Review of Sunset Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Sunset Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed a week at the Sunset Inn during a fishing trip this April. It was a fair bit older and worn-out than I expected but it was also not expensive at all. As I mentioned, I was on a fishing trip so I did not want fancy/expensive accommodations. This fit my bill just fine. I thought by the ad in the website that my room would have a kitchen but it only had a mini-fridge which I was able to live with. I would stay here again as it was convenient and cheap, but let those criteria be your deciding factors in staying here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank gtinckler
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

Thank you for the review. We do have some of the best prices in the Keys. Only about 1/4 of our rooms have kitchenettes but as you stated, all rooms have a small refrig. Come see us again on your next fishing trip Thanks

Reviewed 3 April 2012

The good: - No bedbugs
- Relatively clean
- The pool area looked clean and well kept

The bad: - The 'kitchenette' we paid extra for consisted of a sink and a fridge that didn't work. No microwave because 'people kept stealing them,' according to the front desk.
- No shampoo or lotion provided, just bars of soap
- Uncomfortable mattress
- Furnishings old and tired

The ugly: - Our TV sizzled. Yes, sizzled.
- The fire alarm had a label saying 'replace by 2002.' We made that discovery when we had to ask the front desk for replacement batteries after the alarm started beeping in the middle of the night. The kicker ... the replacement batteries they gave us were dead. I'm not kidding.

I don't know why this place has so many positive reviews. I guess it's not so bad for a place to crash for one night, but not any more than that.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jmacMaritimer
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I just got back from Islamorada I stayed there for 3 Nigths never stay in this hotel before and after reading some reviews I was not to sure but the price was good so I give it a try and I have to say I will stay there again even is not the Hiltton the rooms didnt smell,beds were clean and every day I had clean towels and beds made for a good nigth of sleep after fishing or scuba diving all day plus the location you can ask for any better is migth be a litttle old fashion hotel but for the price cant bit it and like I said I am already planing to go back down and I will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2012

we live in West central Florida and escape to Islamorada 3 or 4 times a year... We stay at the sunset on at least a couple of these trips every year...the keys are a fantastic getaway and Islamorada is the gem of the middle keys. Sunset inn is a basic, clean, older hotel situated directly in the middle of everything there is to do on the key. There are a multitude of lodgings at the 81, 82 mm... but the sunset is by far THE MOST AFFORDABLE...at least $100 a night less almost every other hotel within walking distance. The rooms are clean. The maintenance on the older property is fine...the pool although surrounded by the buildings is always clean although be careful the deck chair you choose, because some can be dry rotted. The guy at the desk is helpful with suggestions and very accommodating...( we've had to change rooms on a few occasions, and he helped us without an attitude a rare service occurrence these days)...Mangrove mike's is right next door...the breakfast joint in Islamorada...They have parking in the back for people pulling their boats...I can't say enough good things about this very basic, clean and cheap hotel!!!

Room Tip: drive up rooms are great!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank chefkbr
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We had low expectations for the $85 / night rate, but that's fine. We just wanted, clean, cheap and safe for a few nights.

We got relatively clean, relatively cheap (although the kitchenette rooms no longer have microwaves so save your extra $10)

Safe? Not even close. The smoke detector beeped all night because there was no AC power to it and the bargain basement 9volt backup battery was dead. Removing the unit to change the battery revealed the safety label "Replace Unit By 2002"!

The television in the room SIZZLED for 1/2 an hour each time you turned it on because it was full of water. One visit from a competent Fire Marshall would have this place shut down,

Spend a little more and go somewhere safe. It's not worth dying in the Sunset Inn.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a DIFFERENT motel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cmorrisse
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Smoke detectors have manufacture dates on the back of them. There are no expiration dates. We have replacement TV's when one decides to not work. We are sorry for your bad experience. We hope you would try us again. We do appriciate your review.