“Heavenly retreat!”
Review of Kon-Tiki Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Kon-Tiki Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The cons first...the room was no frills, but we knew that - no hair dryer or shampoos, no cups, and we could only get one tv channel to work...the water was hard to get started in the sink, and the shower ran (a hot and heavenly) full force...but...the pros...we weren't there for the water or the cups etc. Everyone who says the pictures don't do it justice are correct; don't make the mistake of going to your room and judging before you have walked to the water. This place was a retreat; we had dinner (carry out pizza and some bottles of wine)by the water with the sunset and later the stars, sat outside for three + hours and ended looking at the stars from the hammock. Family friendly but also couples friendly. Just peaceful, even with a lot of kids around. It is the perfect halfway point between Key West and Miami if you are flying in/out of there.

Room Tip: We had room 24; up by the road but traffic noise was not a problem at all.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank urbanagrl
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Had a couple, not staying with us, over to visit us during the day and the staff said they were not welcome. What is that?!? Its not as if they were staying in our room. They simply joined us at the pool. My family and I have been coming for years and I've never heard of such a thing. It's not like we were a bunch of partying kids. I demanded our money back and left. Never be back again!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank Seareed
Reviewed 10 March 2012

So we needed a place to stay for wedding that we were attending the first weekend of March. As usual I started my research online and asking around about nice, yet affordable places to stay. Of course I hit up tripadvisor.com to analyze any suggestions I got and that's what really helped to make my decision for the perfect place for our visit to Islamorada. So Thanks to everyone for posting your reviews!

I called about 2 months in advance and they only had 1 room available so make your reservations early. There are only 23 units total, but that made for a more personal and quaint visit. We hardly saw anyone on Friday and very view guest on Saturday. The staff was very helpful and polite and were also rarely seen, but always available when needed. We had been assigned room #5 over the phone, but when we arrived we were pleased to learn we had been upgraded to room #3 which is just a little bit closer to the water. "Barbara" and "George" were there when we checked in and couldn't have made us feel more welcome.

The grounds were spotless and I started taking pictures right away. The "cottages" were adorable and super clean with just enough space for us. The screened in porch facing the water got a lot of use and the living room, kitchen, bathroom and bed room were very comfortable and inviting. The bathrooms had plenty of towels and the kitchen was fully stocked with any thing you need to prepare and enjoy a meal.

We immediately changed clothes and jumped in one of the hammocks in the palms by the water and soaked in the gentle breeze and beautiful sunshine. We eventually made it in the cool, but comfortable lagoon then the clean heated pool. The wildlife was abundant with plenty of small fish in the lagoon as well as plenty of egrets and pelicans to watch fly around and catch their dinner.

Unfortunately we only stayed two nights and spent most of the evenings at another resort where the wedding and other friends were staying for the weekend. When we were at Kon Tiki it was very quiet and felt like we were coming home each time we returned. We even got a game of shuffle board in!

We will defiantly be back and will suggest this lovely gem to all of our friends.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-6 are basically 3 duplex units right on the water with the best view. I will stay in one of...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kyle Y
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed two nights in Feb and enjoyed our stay. The grounds were lovely, well maintained. This is a great place to relax, and enjoy a quiet hour in the hammocks. The room was clean, and that is very important to me. I would recomend the Kon Tiki Resort to anyone lookng for a relaxing simple place to stay at a great price.

Room Tip: stayed in number 7 and had a wonderful view of the water and grounds
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2011

While a little reluctant to write too many nice things in case people suddenly start flocking down there in droves and they have to raise their prices, or else are fully booked when we next want to go down and stay, I have to be honest and say what a nice little resort this is. It's very well maintained with a lovely fresh water pool and a sea water pool (with little beach), great boat ramp and dock, nice sitting areas and very very nice management staff. The room was spotless, and the shower was outstanding - one of the best hotel showers I've ever had. Unfortunately I had a bit of a cold so at 2 in the morning while I was awake sneezing, I had to sneak into the bathroom and sit there on the floor with a towel and read for a couple of hours so as not to wake my soundly slumbering husband - and so I had a chance to really examine the bathroom in detail from the ground up - and it really was absolutely spotless. Kudos. There is a great open area by the boat ramp so it was easy to get the boat in the water, and while the actual boat ramp was a little slippery (algae maybe?), it was really well laid out. The great thing is that probably 1/4 of a mile away (by road and by water) is the Islamorada Fish Company, part of Bass Pro Shops, so within 4 minutes you can be eating a great lunch or dinner. Very nice little resort, and we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple