“Casa Thorn B & B”

Casa Thorn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I spent a long weekend in the Keys seeking sunshine, beaches, great seafood and R&R. Luckily, I stumbled upon Casa Thorn B&B on the web and stayed there. Miss Thorn is a true Renaissance woman, who had the vision to create a lovely, hidden gem. She, with the help of her awesome staff offer a pool surounded by lovely gardens, whimsical art, musical waterfall fountains and wind chimes, subdued lighting, all in a cozy retreat, nestled in a quite neighborhood. Delicious full breakfast is served each morning at quaint cafe tables situated throughout the garden, creating little outdoor rooms. I stayed in the Tiki Hut, which was perfect for me. Each of the rooms is uniquely appointed in themed decor and the thick white robes provided for guests are a special treat. I truly felt at home!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rose J
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

Casa Thorn is a wonderful escape and a perfect romantic getaway! Miss Thorn was very sweet and accommodating. The property is eclectic and unusual, and I almost felt as if my suite (The Moroccan room) could double as the setting for an Ian Fleming novel with James Bond himself relaxing in the jucuzzi with a vintage bottle of bollinger chamnpagne! Her property is secluded and quiet, with the occasional sounds of her parrot or two small dogs. The breakfast each morning was very good, and the staff were very friendly and helpful for any request needed. I would recommend Casa Thorn without hesitation! As Miss Thorn had told us, the Island of Islamorada is considered by many to be the most beautiful of the keys, and she was certainly right! James Bond will return!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at Casa Thorn in the Moroccan Room over Thanksgiving weekend 2011. I'm late reviewing, as I had hoped to add some photos with the review, but I may just add some later. I had researched their website and all the reviews here on TA beforehand. I was specifically looking for a pet friendly place also, since we were traveling with our young dog too. When I showed my hubby pics of the Moroccan Room, with it's cool inset jacuzzi tub, he said book it! So I did. However, from my reading the reviews, I guess I knew more than he what to expect (the owner, Thorn Trainer and her nurse greeting us, etc.). He was a little thrown by that when we arrived. Thorn is quite a lovely, sweet lady. Her nurse is obviously a very hard working lady caring for Thorn and helping with the B&B. We were shown to our room, which was just as pictured, and no surprises (except the microwave that they graciously placed in the room at my request, which was appreciated). I could tell that this place was not quite what my hubby had anticipated - being a small, close bed and breakfast atmosphere. Although within an hour or so, he began to loosen up and we both fell in love with the place a little more each day. It is in a residential neighborhood, so you have to walk your dog down the streets of the neighborhood and bring a bag with you. I was a bit disappointed that the property itself didn't have anyplace to walk a dog. But, it was fun looking at the lovely homes in the area, and also seeing several wild bunnies in people's yards. Also, there was a resident rooster on the street that we walked by several times, as he crowed! That was a fun little treat! We met a very nice couple who checked in just after us, who also had a dog. The room we stayed in was very beautiful. We did enjoy the jacuzzi tub one evening and it worked fine (no problem filling it with hot water as other reviewers had complained about). The towels provided were plush and soft as were the robes. The only complaint for the room was the reception on the tv - it was very snowy and got worse the higher up in channels you went. Also, as beautiful as the room was, there was no practical sitting space, just two antiquish chairs that were not comfortable. But, we were out alot, so it wasn't a big deal. The breakfasts served just outside your room were beyond wonderful, as were the staff that made it happen! Such friendly people, made you feel like family. And, the food was absolutely scrumptious!! Overall, we felt welcomed, we felt safe and secure, we felt like family, we met some very nice people, and had a great experience here. We would definately stay again!!! Thanks Thorn and all of your outstanding staff!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My boyfriend and I had never been to the Keys and were going for NYE 2012, so selecting a B&B online based on pictures and pricing was with a little hope and a prayer. We no longer had a single doubt from the moment we drove up to the front of Casa Thorn and saw a lush landscape with charmingly whimsical artwork everywhere. The pictures for this retreat DO NOT do it justice! We stayed in the Moroccan room and were completely absorbed by the exotic surroundings and wonderfully big whirlpool tub. The staff were so friendly and helpful, and breakfast was deliciously upscale. It is truly a hidden jewel and we will definitely go back repeatedly.

Additional details -
Lush tropical landscaping with statuary, fountains, etc. all throughout the property.
Each room is tastefully decorated with thought in every detail.
Variety of room sizes and rates; even the Tiki Hut (smallest room) is lovely, and the Secret Garden has a wall of sliding doors - even in the shower itself! (don't worry - very private)
Each room is served breakfast at their own private charming outdoor courtyard.
Pet friendly!
In ground pool and second story deck for enjoying yourself right at the retreat.
VERY reasonable prices for all of this!!!

Room Tip: For full on romance, choose the Moroccan room, with a lavish 4 poster king-sized bed and wonderfully...