“Our room was tired!”

Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
St. Augustine
“Our room was tired!”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This property is absolutely beautiful! Looked like a new pool...sparkling and inviting. We were in room 202 and it was tired! It greeted us with a funky smell! Sheets were very clean and fresh smelling. Our comforter had cigarette burns in it. Carpet was about 10 years past due to be changed out! But it was a large suite with fantastic views. Right on the ocean, big balcony, two chairs were crammed into a corner, and there was a patio table with two additional chairs. There are a number of little cottages on the property, one large hotel unit and our building was separate up close to the water. If you are all about the water, pool, dock this is an okay place for you! If you are picky a out fastidious housekeeping...I just don't know! Perhaps they have some updated rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shopgirlSt_Augustine
LasiestaGM, General Manager at La Siesta Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank You so much for staing with us and for your comments. I have made some recent Housekeeping staff changes and so I think you shall see positive change in our services.

Dan Rutan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This was our second trip to the keys and have quickly learned that there are not many good hotels at reasonable prices and you have to lower your expectations. We chose this resort because the price seemed reasonable for a 1 bedroom ocean view suite. We requested a renovated room based on previous reviews and received it upon check-in. The view was great and the size of the room was decent although the area rug in the room looked dirty and dingy and the bed linens looked tired and poor quality. We immediately had a feeling that the room hadn't been sufficiently cleaned and upon further inspection our feelings were correct. Our feet were quickly getting black from the floor. It was late so we informed the front desk the next morning and they told us that the will request the maid service to do a "full cleaning"...which made me wonder, shouldn't they be doing that every day? After that the floor was better but throughout our stay we had numerous maid service problems...no towels left in room, no soap left in room, garbage not emptied, bathroom (inlcuding toilet, sink and shower not cleaned on multiple days). I did what I call the "powder" test by sprinkling baby powder on the toilet and low and behold it was still there after the maid "cleaned" the room. Complained again but the timing was such that the maids had already gone home for the day. Oddly enough after our initial complaint, we turned down the bed one night and a damp towel was stuck in the sheets. The front desk was good about sending someone up with towels,etc but I feel like after several complaints that management should oversee the maids to make sure they are doing their job. We bought some clorox wipes and cleaned ourselves during the stay. Upon checkout we told the front desk again of all our maid problems and asked they relay that to the manager. The kicker was the front desk staff told us that the maid relayed to them that we had the "do not disturb sign" on the door so that's why it wasn't cleaned!! I couldn't believe that statement becuase we never even saw such a sign in the room let alone hang it on the door!! If they improve the maid service this resort can be a great place to stay. Overall liked the resort grounds and pool. I wish I knew it was a pet friendly resort because for our entire stay there was dog in the room below us that we heard annoyingly barking at various points. I love dogs but don't want to hear that while on vacation and while trying to sleep. So in summary I give the resort high ratings for views, location, grounds, pool, front desk service and overall resort layout/rooms. The bad rating simply comes from the maid service, resort management needs to do some sort of quality checks on their work and I would have easily given this a 4 or 5 star rating. Also of note, the management staff was very apologetic for the maid issues we had and was kind enough to waive resort fees and refund a night's stay. I hope they resolve they maid issues and we would gladly return on our next trip to the keys.

Room Tip: Definetly ask for a renovated room - the non-renovated ones are very old and tired.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Please except my sincere apology! To say that I am embarrassed is putting it mildly. I have investigated the incident along with other recent incidents and have made much needed staffing changes. I can only ask that you will give us another chance and allow me to win back your trust.

WI
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We tried being as open minded about this resort as possible, as there was a problem with our reservations right from the beginning. The problem was half my fault as I did not check my reservation confirmation email soon enough (due to two family emergencies), so, I do take half the blame. We reserved a 2 bedroom unit over the phone, but somehow it was entered into their system as a one bedroom. Upon finding the error, I was able to a few days later reach someone and they made sure we had one of the biggest one bedrooms, one that would fit a cot (that we were not charged for). So, I was glad that they could help out with that issue at a very busy time of year.

The room was large, clean, and had a great view from the 3rd floor. I would advise those who might have physical difficulty carrying luggage up and down to the third floor try to make reservations for a ground floor unit.

The best thing about the resort was the pool, it was beautiful! Not the typical keys rectangular pool at all. A fun basketball and volleyball net, plenty of seating, shower, restrooms, and nice landscaping. It did get loud and busy on the two weekends we were there, with a “spring break” crowd who drank beer in glass bottles in the pool and a large group who swam in their clothes and even their shoes (my daughter was so uncomfortable that we left the pool)…..which brings me to my main complaint about the resort.

This resort seemed to be understaffed/undermanaged. Never saw a staff member or manager even peeking at the pool to check out what’s going on. Only one attendant in the office, sometimes phone calls went unanswered, as the office was quite busy during this time of year. There did not appear to be an on-site manager that I could notice. No one told us about the bikes available for guests when we checked in, found out on our last day there. No information about the resort amenities, pool hours, local pizza delivery, etc. in the room.

On three separate days, we were left with two bath towels, for a family of 4. Each time I said something to the office, eventually got more towels on two of those nights, but was left with the feeling that I really should not have to be bothering with that. I was told that I should just call them or stop by the office whenever I need more, but we really shouldn’t have to do that. I have never stayed at a place, even the least expensive budget motel, where the room only had two towels. While on the subject of towels, the first day we were left with 3 beach towels for 4 people, (no towel service at the pool), and after that day, never any more. We eventually went to Walgreens and bought 4 towels of our own. Got dish towels the first few days, then never again.

A few other tips: Make sure to bring a travel alarm clock, or have an alarm app on your phone, our unit had no alarm clock (or clock at all), and their wake up service did not work. If you require an oven rather than just a cooktop, make sure your room has one before you check in. Not all rooms (ours included) have an oven. Ask early if you would like a blanket or extra pillow, they ran out when we were there. If you are on the third floor, shower water pressure can be an issue in the mornings when others are showering, so perhaps take your shower in the evening as we eventually figured out.

I think if you like a fun pool scene, this is a great resort for you. The location is ideal, so close to fantastic restaurants, marinas, etc. However, if you want a hassle-free relaxing time, you should reconsider.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms have a great view, but have steep stairs that are difficult to get heavy lugga...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your comments. I am sorry for the under performance of the staff. I have just made changes to our Housekeeping staff that will go a long way to improve our services. I am very sorry that I did not see you while you were here. As the Manager I am onsite every day 7 days a week. I do look in on the pool everyday and care a great deal for our guests. We must have just missed each other but I can assure you I am here.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We had been to the Keys before and were visiting for Easter weekend to scuba dive. My expectations based on previous reviews were pretty accurate. The hotel is composed of a variety of different types of rooms. We were in room 205, which is a 2 story, 2 bedroom unit with one king and one queen bed. It has perhaps been partly renovated, as the TVs seem new, but the carpet is old and dingy, and the kitchen is not well supplied. There is not a dishwasher, which made me a little worried about the cleanliness of the supplied plates, etc. There is a good breakfast by the pool, and the view from our room was nice. The staff was helpful and friendly, and they let us check in early. There was a somewhat annoying barking dog next door, and on the Saturday before Easter the entire property (pool area, parking, common area) was taken over with a big crowd involving more people and cars that seemed would fit in the rooms. Overall was as expected but could have been a bit better. Likely some of the issues we had are not present during less busy times.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sanibelrocks
Thank You for your comments and for staying with us. We are working hard to make sure that we correct any issues that you might find. We do supply 3 pots with lids, 3 pans with lids, can opener, toaster, coffee maker, plates, cups, mugs and silverware. I know at times folks may have more people in their room that we prepare for so please just ask ask at the Front Desk and we would be happy to supply the extra items.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was our first time staying in Islamorado. We've stayed in Marathon, Grassy Key, and Largo a number of other times. Very central location, and La Siesta was practically flawless. Front desk staff went out of their way to help us select the right room for what we were looking for. The suite was CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. The bed was comfy, the linens fresh, the suite bright and cheery. quiet and uncrowded. Breakfast was a bonus, served out by the pool. Landscapes were perfectly manicured and tropical. Walk in pool was sooooo nice. Jacuzzi was also a bonus, that we enjoyed one evening. Bikes and Kayaks available for use... as was a marina, if you decide a motor craft. Can't say enough about this place, and we definitely will return. A bit pricey, but worth every dime... This was a special Birthday occasion for us, so we splurged...

Room Tip: Ocean view suite - feels like the ocean is in your living room! Absolutely awesome! The little cot...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kmtorrence
LasiestaGM, General Manager at La Siesta Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank very much for your comments. I am so very glad that you had what sounded like a great stay. We look forawrd to seeing you again.