“Great Time on the Water and Some Great Stories”
Review of Easy Day Charters

Easy Day Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Design your own Tropical Adventure! Leave the crowds behind and dissappear into the calm waters surrounding Key West. You choose the activities that interest you - learn something new, focus on your favorite activities or try a little of everything. Special requests welcome!
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Time on the Water and Some Great Stories”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Capt. Tom's charter is geared (or was for us) to families. We have two kids... a 9yo boy and a 14yo girl. Both of our kids had a blast. Both times Capt. Tom and I talked on the phone prior to the trip he asked how I wanted to tailor our day and he made suggestions to make it better. This guy knows to how make your day full of fun.

We arrived at the marina a few minutes before our scheduled departure time and met Capt. Tom as he was going over the maintenance of his boat. It was good to know he wasn't the "put it in the water and let's go type". After the safety briefing, we took off. Heading out into the gulf, my wife and I looked at each other and thought about telling him to just cruise around for the next 8 hours... it was soooo relaxing just cruising on the open water. Then all of a sudden he cuts the engine and we come to a stop! Capt. Tom thought he saw a sea turtle in distress and was going to help it out. We couldn't find the turtle, so we continued to our first stop.

First stop... fishing. Capt. Tom warned me the day before we left and in the morning again that we probably would not catch anything big enough to keep, but I didn't care, I just wanted my kids to have the experience of catching a fish in the ocean. Sure enough, first cast out and my son caught a fish, then my daughter caught one, then my son caught a small grouper. My kids learned the value of catch and release and having a fun time.

Second stop... snorkeling. Capt. Tom took us to a wonderful sandbar for our first dive. It was shallow enough for my son to get used to the equipment and get some water time in.

Third stop... snorkeling again. This time in deep water over a reef. He guaranteed we would see stingrays on the bottom and we did!

Fourth stop... snorkeling on a ship wreck. Capt. Tom told us the history of the ship wreck and we were excited to see it. However, once I got in the water (keep in mind I am an advanced SCUBA diver) I noticed the fast current as we were in the Atlantic side. Capt. Tom noticed the current also and quickly called off the dive. I was impressed to know he put the safety of our family first over the experience of the dive.

Final stop... snorkeling over a shallower, older ship wreck. He told us a story of him and a 100 year old puffer fish that used to be at the dive site. Once in the water we swam over the wreck and to our thrill, we came across a huge puffer fish making the wreck its home. Who could've guessed?

All along the trip Capt. Tom entertained us with tales of old Key West (he moved here in 1975), history of the keys, a lot of educational information about the ecosystem, run-ins with local legends... He even gave us tips on local dining establishments... we tried them out and were not disappointing!

The best way to describe the day is that it was like a seafood sampler platter at your favorite restaurant. We got a lot of experience in in a relatively short time... although we were on the full day excursion.

Capt. Tom is a fun guy and is great for a family experience.

Next time we are in Key West, we will definitely book another trip!

Visited July 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Basel, Switzerland
“Great time on the water!”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

In a nut shell, we spent a wonderful afternoon yesterday on the water that went by way too fast! We are a family of 5 currently living in Switerland and vacationing in the Keys for 2 weeks. We were looking for a relaxed, flexible experience to introduce our kids to snorkelling and found just that with Captain Tom. We arrived at the marina in a thunderstorm, anticipating having to cancel or reschedule but after discussing the weather forecast with Capt. Tom, we decided to wait it out - so glad we did! We saw a variety of fish, lobster, crabs, among the coral reef and even an octopus. Our youngest - 6 yrs old - was a bit intimidated at the first stop but Capt. Tom knew just where to take us that had her back in the water and having a great time. So much so that all she wants to do is snorkel with Capt. Tom again! We ended up eating dinner at Salute's on the beach - one of the many recommendations that he also gave us, which was a perfect ending to our day. We'll be back!

Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great time! Kid friendly!”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This past friday Capt. Tom took my boys and husband out on their first fishing trip together. Not only did they catch plenty of fish,but more importantly they left with lasting memories. Thank you Capt. Tom for your patience,knowledge, and flexibility in customizing our needs. Job well done,hope to see you soon. Miami Family

1 Thank Irene834
Tustin, California
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Can't go wrong with Captain Tom”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Captain Tom at Easy Day Charters is a one-man-team so communication was very simple (you only deal with him)! It's so great when he told me that he did not require a deposit for the booking because he wanted to make sure that the weather and water condition is adequate on the day of the trip before collecting our money. He even called the day before to reconfirm our booking...such a responsible man!

Snorkeling was great. He had all the equipments on board and even had a cooler for us to bring drinks and gave us time to snack. We even got to see a shipwreck, too cool! He even had a underwater camera for rent. :)

You can't go wrong with Captain Tom...he's the man!

1 Thank YRLovesTravel
Alexandria, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“perfect vacation boat outing”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

we've been cruising with captain Tom for 16 years. And this July 4th was just as spectacular as the past 15 years. He customized the trip, was courteous and we enjoyed every minute aboard.

1 Thank greg l