“Great Location”

Ranked #44 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
bedfordshire
“Great Location”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I struggled getting a Hotel at Key West due to the fact that it was Spring Break and most of the hotels were fully booked, my choices were a hotel on the outskirts or a B + B. For some reason I never think of a B + Bs when I’m abroad. After a bit of research and of course a good look through Trip Advisor I chose the Azul at Key West. I got the last room which was on the top floor and it is the same room that is previewed on the Azul website. This is Azul's most expensive room. My room was clean and airy with plenty of space. The bathroom was very small and the shower was over a bath and this was a bit tight with a sloping room but it did the job. All This was fully explained to me when I called to book so there was no surprise’s waiting for me

The breakfast was a fresh fruit/continental breakfast nice to start the day with, location was excellent only a 5 minute walk to Duval street and a 15 minute walk to the beach or simply hire a bike 10$ per day from the shop 50 yards away.
I agreed with a previous poster that the outdoor fencing was looking like it need a lick of paint or even should be replaced but I assume there is some other reason for not doing this as this does not fit in with the rest of the house or the surrounding grounds that were absolutely spotless at all times.
I enjoyed my time at the Azul. Great location

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We really enjoyed our time at Azul. The people working there couldn't have been more helpful. Check in went smoothly and when I asked for additional hangers, Becca was quick to provide as many as I needed. She showed us where the easiest place to rent bikes are a block a way (the best way to get around island). Michael was incredibly helpful describing the 2 primary charter tours and booked one for us when we chose. He did not steer us wrong (Danger Charters). They were a perfect balance between friendliness and giving us our space. My only suggestion to the hotel (which the staff was happy to take note of) was to have more hooks in the bathroom for the toiletries guests bring and towels near the shower. It wasn't really set up with any space for a woman to put her makeup on or dry her hair. The shelf they have slopes towards the toilet and the sink is a modern one that has no counter space (there is a shelf under it). They provide a hair dryer but if you want to use your own there is no place to rest it other than in the sink...not too safe. If they haven't added hooks, maybe pick up those temporary peel off ones that don't leave marks.

Our room was "Ambrosia" and was on the bottom floor next to the pool. It was a clean lined, modern space with enough storage (with the extra hangers) for our 4 night stay. The room isn't exceptionally big but we weren't planning on hanging out in it too much. If you think you want a quiet night at home watching tv- this probably isn't the hotel for you, the tv is small. We couldn't get the free wi-fi in the room but were able to get it on the deck 20 steps away. The bathroom amenities were all from Aveda and were restocked when we got low.

The hotel is only 4 blocks from Duval but isn't a stay up late and party kind of place. This was a nice place to retreat to since our trip overlapped with a bunch of college spring breakers. Breakfast was a lovely benefit. There is a CVS 2 blocks away for anything you might have forgotten.

2 good restaurants that are away from Duval that were good were Vito's pizza and 6 fish. Make advance reservations at 6 fish for dinner. We stumbled upon Vito's when we couldn't find a table anywhere after the Sunset Celebration. This is far enough away that it is probably visited mostly by locals. Don't let the outside of the restaurant fool you. It looks like a sub shop but is a bit more elegant (but casual) inside. Food & service were good. My husband said it was one of the best steak subs he has had.

Room Tip: Ambrosia's bed was comfortable, 1st floor off of the pool and I couldn't hear the people ups...
New Jersey
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Just spent a few days at Azul Key West. Highly recommended. Michael and Becca provided outstanding hospitality.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I note the overall opinions of this establishment are very positive, but I have to say it did not meet my expectations of vale for usd240 per night, and I say this having spent four months a year for 40 years in hotels of every standard in 102 countries.
I have full praise for the staff, and breakfasts and I acknowledge that the age of the property means that the rooms cannot be enlarged but ours was exceedingly compact, such that there was only one bedside table, the headboard was scuffed, as we're the walls and overall the impression was one of tiredness. The bed comfort was adequate but no more The curtains offered no protection against the morning sun either. The general sense of wear and tear applied to the fencing around the breakfast area and the furniture in the general areas was not in keeping with the period of the property. Look at comparable properties in Savannah. Finally having just spent a month in central America where even the most lowly accommodation without exception provided wifi access, I was disappointed on returning to the first world to find no access in my room, so I had to hunt around outside my room in pyjamas looking for a signal.
the response that it was not possible to improve coverage seems a bit weak.

in short, idid not feel this was USD600 well spent for two nights and while it is true it is not far from a section of Duval st, it is still quite a way from Mallory Square it should be said.

Room Tip: C heck out which ones have wifi coverage if you need it.
1 Thank jeremyburtonReading
Hamshire, UK
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Having stayed at the Azul in Key Largo, we decided to stay at the Azul in Key West. This is a completely different property. For a starter it has a few more rooms, but they are set in a delightful Key West style building.

We had an upstairs King room in the old building, the bed was comfortable, but i was a little disapointed with the rest of the room, the bath room was really small but functioned sufficently, there was no other real ammenities in the room. The TV if you wanted it had about 5 channels and none of them were worth watching, the AC was pretty noisy, but ifyou put it on a low setting to make the room like a fridge whilst you go out for dinner then turn it off when you sleep. I was a little concerned by having a room at the front right by the street, the US1 is pretty busy. But Becca assured us that it was quiet and no guests had ever compained about road noise.... Hmmm.... Well i am not complaining but you certainly here all sorts of traffic noise as well as party goers stumbling down the street between 2 and 4 am.

Breakfast was great, really enjoyed the fresh fruit to start my day.

The Azul is a great position, only about 1mile walk from Mallory Square and 3/4 mile from the marina and Southern Most Point, so ideal central location to explore.

Overall, we had a lovely stay in this quaint hotel, yes there were some personal dislikes, but that is personal choice, dont let that put you off staying here, its very nice and the staff extremely friendly. We would stay here again, but take a room near the pool next time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple