“Drag in the New Year RIGHT!”
Review of New Orleans House

New Orleans House
Ranked #52 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed at NOH over New Years 2011-2012. An amazing non-stop party. Joey, the owner knows how to treat his guests to a very memorable experience. As a guest over the New Year holiday you get to have access to the balcony for the Drag Queen Drop. New York's ball drop has nothing on this event. Sushi the drag queen descends in a giant red stiletto (a-la-Priscilla Queen of the Desert style). So, the party is great, but the staff and rooms are incredible. Everyone we met at New Orleans House, from Neil at the front desk to Kirk at the adjoining Bourbon Street Pub were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make our stay awesome. Thank you. We've already booked for New Years 2012-2013.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jay A

Reviewed 22 January 2012

I had never been to Key West and didn't know where to go, I went to 3 other resorts that were way out of my price range. I stumbled upon the New Orleans House at first leary cause it wasn't a name I was familiar with, but from the second I checked in the staff was so friendly I felt immediately comfortable. They were also knowledgeable of what was going on in town and told me. The next day was the pool party, Im a very shy person so I didn't think I would like it. Well again the staff changed that. Wesley and JJ the bartenders were great. Very playful and fun, not to mention really know how to pour drinks. Also met Joe the owner very down to earth and polite. I WILL BE BACK FOR SURE. Thank you so much guys.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Tahoestud25
Reviewed 14 January 2012

This January was our second trip to Key West, and our first at New Orleans House. For our first trip a couple years ago, we stayed at the Island House - fabulous, but expensive and far away from Duval Street. This time, we decided to try New Orleans House and we were extremely happy we did.

We're a committed couple in our 30's and were concerned that we wouldn't meet people our age, but happily found that the 20-to-30-something crowd was very happening here. When we arrived early, Neil (the awesome manager) was a perfect host - he gave us a brief tour, put our luggage in our room, and answered all our questions about what to do & where to go.

We chose room 11B which was out of the way and the quietest room on the property. It was perfect for us - a comfy bed, flat-screen tv, fridge, microwave, etc. that was somewhat removed from the outdoor bar, hot tub and pool which has an incredible party atmosphere until 4 am on weekends (and some weeknights).

The bartenders were all super friendly and chatty - TJ in particular made our daytime drinks and happy hours hilarious and so enjoyable. We met so many great new friends at the bar there, including locals and other vacationers, that I know we'll continue to stay in touch with.

The sundeck was great, and yes, those lounge chairs need to be replaced. The hot tub was a perfect popular spot, and stripping down for a nude soak during the middle of a crowded Saturday night at the bar definitely gets the conversation going. The staff was pretty good at keeping women out of this area of the property (women are allowed in the indoor part of the dance club, but not in the back outdoor bar, hot tub, pool, etc.). The pool was a little cold, but refreshing after cooking in the hot tub for a while.

On our last day, Neil even graciously extended our stay, letting us move to an unoccupied room while we hung out at the bar & pool waiting for a late flight out. All in all, the trip could not have been better. Sure, it's not as posh as some other spots in Key West, but it has the best energy BY FAR and a fun, younger crowd. Thanks Neil & TJ and the rest of New Orleans House for making our vacation something to really shake a "stick" at!

Room Tip: Room 11B is definitely the quietest (and darkest), and can also open up into room 11A if you have ot...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChillBoys
Reviewed 3 January 2012

A special thank you to Joey and Neil and the entire staff for my best New Year's Eve celebration ever!!! I formerly lived in Key West so I was curious to see how I would like being a tourist versus a home owner.
I Loved It!! Let me tell you that every person I had contact with a the front desk to the bar to the staff were incredibly hospitable. I learned a new appreciation for the hard work the owner Joey puts in to the place. He was hands on every day. New Orleans House is the center of the Key West gay experience and boy did I love the convenience. The CNN - Shushi New Year's EVe party cannot be replicated anywhere in the world. I look forward to 2013. So Joey, Neil, Mitch, Donald, Bob, Paul, Drew, Eddie and all the beautiful dancing boys THANK YOU!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mlweyw
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed at the end of November for the Thanksgiving holiday. Had a fantastic time for my sixth trip in 2011 alone to the New Orleans House in Key West. I am already looking forward to my booking in February 2012.

The staff is super friendly and I can guarantee unless you are a bump-on-a-log type who is unsociable, you will be making lifelong friends with the staff of both the bar and the guesthouse. That is one of the beauties of Key West. The locals are so friendly and make your visit pleasant.

The New Orleans House is attached to the truly best nightclub in Key West for the gay community, otherwise known as the Bourbon Street Pub. Shows, dancers, garden bar (pool bar) parties and much more to offer as well as being walking distance to a few other gay bars on/near Duval Street. Also noted there are several nice restaurants within walking distance.

Hazel's cafe is also on premises offering tasty short-order style food. (Burgers, Hot Dogs, Wraps etc.) A nice touch if you don't want to leave the premises.

You could stay up at the chain hotels (Days Inn etc.) but the additional cost to stay at the New Orleans House is generally equivalent to what it costs to take a cab back and forth. So with that being said, why not just stay at the New Orleans House and avoid dealing with the cabs all together. I discovered this concept about a year or so ago and haven't bothered with the chain hotels ever since.

I also wish to single out the General Manager Neil Chamberlain, who goes to great lengths to ensure his guests are happy. Any concerns I have ever had, have been taken care of promptly.

Lookin' forward to 02/2012 !! :)

Ryan L.
rlughermo@charter.net

Room Tip: Be aware that this guesthouse is directly attached to a nightclub, open till 4am. Certain rooms the...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo