“Duvall Inn at Key West” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Duvall Inn at Key West”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Two years ago my husband and I had stopped at Key West on a cruise and was only there for a few hours. We decided it was some place that we wanted to come back to visit. I teach school and had a few days off at Easter so decided to go to Key West. We knew we wanted to be close to the activity and close to Duvall Street. By looking on the internet I found The Duvall Inn and so booked a room. We loved the room, the location to Duvall Street and everything that we could walk to. We were even close to a Methodist Church for Easter Sunday service. We would definately stay here the next time we come. We rented a car and drove from Fort Lauderdale airport, but we didn't move the car after we got there. Parking is first come first serve, the only negative is the rooster crowing at all hours of theday and night, but the hotel can't help that!! We had a wonderful, relaxing vacation!!

Room Tip: Our rooms name was Seaside and sat next to the road - might have been a little noisy during the nigh...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Finnish first
Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We had a great time at the Duval Inn! From check-in to check-out our stay was wonderful. Great staff, comfortable and clean rooms, fun complimentary pool-side Happy Hour (with fun bartenders), great complimentary breakfast, fantastic location (centrally located and convenient to all attractions), cozy pool area...I can't say enough...it was a GREAT TIME!!! We would definitely would recommend the Duval Inn and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: The MANGO Room was nice!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Duval Inn so we could see all that Key West has to offer. We had a wonderful time in Key West and the Duval Inn was a perfect spot to stay to be in the "hub" of Duval Street. In a few short steps you were on the main drag and we walked and shopped for hours.
We stayed in the Seahorse room, which had a shared bathroom, and although this was not our preference (we got the last room upon booking) it actually worked out pretty well. We never had to wait to use the washroom and it was kept spotless at all times. When we return here we would like to book one of the cottages that they have here so you would have more privacy.
The Duval Inn has a happy hour each day from 5 - 6 pm. and this was a great time for us to meet and mingle with other patrons of this Inn. You could have pretty much whatever you wanted to drink (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and there were munchies put out for everyone to enjoy. The bartenders were so friendly and told us so many stories of their adventures in Key West.
Cory, the owner is a fellow Canadian, who now resides in the Caribbean. He was there both nights to check on how everyone was doing and we had a very nice conversation with him. He has owned the Duval Inn for 10 years and you can tell he has went the extra mile to make this Inn all it can be.
There is also a small pool that you can cool down in with very nice loungers around it. There is also a great little courtyard with patio umbrellas where you can get out of the heat of Key West if need be.
The Duval Inn also provides breakfast and we found that there was more than enough options to satisfy our morning hunger. You could have bagels, yogurt, eggs, etc. as well as coffee, tea and juice. It was wonderful sitting out in either the courtyard or at a stool at the Tiki Bar and enjoy the start of our day.
There is free wi fi at the Duval Inn and we had no issues with using it at all.
We would recommend the Duval Inn to anyone looking for a clean place to sleep and close to the action of Duval Street.
I'm so glad that I got the opportunity to take my husband to Key West, I have been several times but this was his first time and he said we will defintely be returning again in the future!!
Kudos to the Duval Inn staff as well, they were so friendly and helpful and boy do they work hard!!!!

Room Tip: If you choose to do the shared bathroom rooms, ask for the largest they have, they are not very big...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martymonty
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

This past Labor Day, my (now) fiancè and I spent a wonderful weekend at the Duval Inn. I had gone and stayed at the Duval Inn a few years back with my family and loved it then too.
We took the key west express down, and were able to walk to the inn, and all the other key west hot spots all weekend. We loved how charming and affordable the Duval Inn was. It is also nice that is on a side street off of Duval, so that you can actually sleep at night. Each morning there is complimentary breakfast, and in the evening an amazing complimentary happy hour. I loved all of the staff, owner and locals we met on the grounds (which are beautifully landscaped). One night on our stay there, my fiancè surprised me...as I walked into our room he was on one knee with a beautiful ring!!! The Duval Inn will always be special to us. Hands down, ONLY place we will stay in Key West. Definitely recomend to anyone, who is looking for a charming, fun, clean affordable place in Key West right in the heart of the action! In fact we even received a Christmas card from the Duval Inn this year:) A very unique place.

• Stayed September 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

My wife handled the room booking and she said that it was affordable for Key West (I think it was a little less than $300 a night). I am not sure how much rooms usually cost in Key West so it seemed like a lot for not being a resort, but ok. There was also a free happy hour from 5-6 and I think that sold her.

First of all, B&B is in a GREAT location. Right in the middle of Duval Street and not in the louder bar areas on north Duval. About a 5 minute walk to Hemingway House. I can't stress enough how awesome this location is.

The rooms looked really clean and really nice. We had our own bathroom but there was also another big bathroom with shower that we were allowed to use if we wanted to. That was great since we had a party of 4.

The beds were AWESOME. They were large and SUPER comfortable. We stayed at 4 hotels in different parts of Florida for this trip and this was definitely the best sleep we got the whole time. Reviews have been saying the rooms were tiny. I don't think so, just as long as you keep your suitcase on the little bench they provide for you. Why do you need a huge room anyway especially if you are going to be out of the room most of the time?

The pool is tiny and not particularly appealing. But hey, if you are going to complain about the pool don't use it.

The continental breakfast was fine. Cereal, pastry, yogurt, fruit, bagels, coffee, tea, juice. It's nothing special but it's FREE. Don't complain about a free meal. It was perfectly adequate for a free service.

And now for the couple cons:
1. We had to walk past the little happy hour bar to get into our room. The people and stools blocked the walkway. And no one (it was really the guests) would move when we tried to go through. People actually looked at me like I was stupid for trying to get into my room. It really was not the best location to put a bar cause it obstructed traffic. Avoid checking in/out between 5-7.

2. I am not a smoker but the happy hour area was a smoker's haven. It was disgusting and there was really no where to go in the area without having smoke blown toward me. I actually got nauseous after a while and had to go back to my room. Also, we ate our continental breakfast the next morning outside and it was smoke free. BUT then, the receptionist came near us and smoked right in front of us while we were eating! I couldn't believe it. And then one of the other guests decided to join her!

I give the 3 for service because of that incident alone. The guy running the bar Captain....something seemed to love doing what he was doing. Good for him! I like when people enjoy their jobs.

Ok, those were pretty much the only things that bothered me. The place is quaint, clean, nice, convenience, has free wi-fi, free food, and parking is CHEAP (only $10/night). I would stay there again if I ever return to Key West.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple