Ocean Key Resort & Spa(Key West)
US$ 378
US$ 348
  • Pool
Best Western Key Ambassador Resort Inn(Key West)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$ 224
Hotels.com
The Gardens Hotel(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$ 277
  • Restaurant
US$ 376
US$ 336
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Key West La Concha(Key West)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
Cancelon
US$ 449
Cancelon
  • Pool
All reviewsthe clothing optional poolhonor barother guestsfront porchhappy hourhonor systemduval streetsaltwater poolcontinental breakfastshared bathroombagelshalf blocknight lifelaid backb b'sroom was clean and comfortablefantasy fest
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I try to have a good time evrywhere I go but I've got to be honest. My friend and I met so many good people, it's what makes the trip so satisfying. People from all over having a good time.

But there are some things that do need work. Your host is not the friendliest person, he seldom cracked a smile. The staff is also unfriendly, when you say hello they do not respond. Our room smelled very musky and I did see 2 large cockroaches. Breakfast with fruit and fruit flies buzzing was very unattractive. The pool was fun to hang out because of the clothing optional but it was not once cleaned my entire trip. Leaves and stuff layered the bottom of the pool. And when I found out that people pee in the shower out in the pool area rather than going to their rooms, we didn't go back to the pool. I know Key West is full of old homes but this place is extra dusty from top to bottom.

Really liked the location because it is close to everything but it really needs to be cleaned.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank BeccaCraw
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was my 4th trip to Key West in as many years. I’ve stayed at a different property each time and in a different season. Each property has been a B&B and properties that did not offer a pool and happy hour were eliminated. Marrero’s Guest Mansion was the BEST! The trip was taken in early February by my boyfriend and me (48 and 65) to celebrate his birthday. The character of this site is PURE CHARM from the mansion, the room, to the staff and other guests, and the fabulous pool.
Cordial Staff: Steve is laid back. Skylee is sweet, very considerate, polite and HAPPY! I had a bouquet of balloons delivered on the morning of his birthday and she was so helpful in assisting me to make sure they arrived just at the perfect time.
Amazing Breakfast: .a selection of cereals, melon, strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, yogurts, different types of muffins, cakes, bagels, pastries, tea, coffee, juice all complemented with whipped butter, preservatives and cream cheese (and low fat was offered and normally is very hard to find ) I made breakfast for my boyfriend every morning and carried to the room. I had packed a box of cake candles and the pasties made excellent little “birthday cakes”!
Can’t Beat Location: just off Duval Street at mile marker 0. If you’ve visited KW you know a car is not needed and you can walk everywhere.
Roomy Jungle # 26. Compares with other B&B’s. Bathroom very “homey”. The bed could have been more comfortable. Great location within the B&B as it is part of the original house, close to the pool and on the first floor. Grounds are maintained and the mansion is “old and graceful” ..just as you want “her” to be.
THE POOL: This is the best reason to stay at Marrero’s! This pool is much larger than the “cistern size pools” in most KW B&B’s. The pool has adequate space and lounge chairs for sunning. An honor bar is available ($2 and $1) and your room is just a quick hop away for cocktail refills. I liked the clothing optional aspect; I got a jump start on my tan for the season. If you don’t have too, who wants to wear a bathing suit? Also, I think the “clothing optional” aspect of the pool encourages guests who are open minded, social, friendly and laid back…exactly what travel to KW is about...FUN and SUN! And, no kids!! Also, a morning dip is a great way to start the day as the pool is heated.
HAPPY Hour: The other guests made it great. Only participated on the evening of his birthday and it was like one quaint party with friends…not the hotel bar with typical hotel guests.
Cool Fellow Travelers: Mostly older, seasoned, able to tell stories!! GREAT attitudes. This place is for guests of the same mindset.
Funds: Comparing Marrero’s with other places I’ve stated, both in KW and other cities, the cost to stay at this B&B matched with my expectations.
Reviewer Note: In the past five years have traveled for personal enjoyment not business averaging four times annually, have stayed in various accommodations but prefer B&B’s and Boutique hotels, like to visit places where I leave having enjoyed the “local flavor” I’ll stay at Marrero’s again because of her charm.

Room Tip: First Floor...not directly on the pool deck.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LauraUSC
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked this with my friend and my sister and mother all from the UK (sister lives in Marathon) so i was keen to be as close to Duval as possible so we didn't have to drive/taxi/bus it into the town.

Arrived at around 2pm to a accommodating Steve and a very sweet and friendly skylee. room was ready on arrival as skylee just finished off so Steve finished the formalities and took us on a tour....we jumped right in when he showed us the clothing optional pool...its not our thing (but location and price swung it for us) and yes it was full on that first day and we didn't know where to put our eyes but u soon get used too it....or wear dark shades ;-)

Our rooms were the joined shared bathroom ones which suited us fab as it meant our two rooms shared the one bathroom and then the price worked our great for the location to duval street. I will talk about my room in general think it was 15...it was the one with the sort of tree house loft thing with the bed on top. i kinda feared for my life thinking me + one two many cocktails = falling and breaking my neck but hey i lived to tell the tale so its all good! i rated the room 4 but that's for one reason only....it was so dark....and i an a girl and i need me some light for my make up! other than that i loved the rustic charm of it it just adds to the character of the building.

Everything else was amazing breakfast in the morning was just right...a selection of cereals, melon, strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, yogurts, different types of muffins, bagels, pastries, tea, coffee, juice and iced water and complemented with whipped butter and preservatives. Yum!

We didn't attend the afternoon happy hour as we were there for 2 night so just couldn't squeeze it in however how much i wanted (ah well always next time)

like i said above pool wasn't offensive and contray to my earlier belief of me not going near i actually did go in with my swimsuit so i am glad i brought it in the end.

the grounds are amazing its just a beautiful mansion and i am so glad i found it. thank you again Steve and skylee i will most deinafately come back again.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank laura-carlburg
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Going to Marrero's is like coming home. My wife and I (38 & 40) have stayed here twice and LOVE it. Yes the pool is clothing optional but that doesn't mean all sorts of who-ha is going on. Seriously, who likes like tan lines anyway. Hey, remember, “optional” means “optional” and you don’t have to if you don’t want to. Regardless, most of the guests that stay here are a little more open minded; they are also much more outgoing than your typical guest house visitor and that is what makes Marrero’s special! For that reason we never missed happy hour. The conversations and stories are a blast. It’s like hanging out with family but with no whiner kids.

Breakfast is bagels, cereal, yogurt and some fresh fruit. If you are looking to eat somewhere, Blue Heaven, Banana Café and Pepe’s are great options. Most places have outside seating so don’t be surprised if you are eating with some chickens (and chicks) wondering around. Once you have eaten breakfast it’s pool time unless you are going fishing or on a tour.

I know you are all curious about the pool so here are the keys to pool success. Be out there by mid morning. Pool towels are located on the back porch and the shower is tucked in between the side property fence and room 14. Your best sun will be from 9am to 2pm. After 2pm the pool is mostly shaded and you won’t be able to float and still get sun (feb-march). There is still sun on the east and north chairs and on the edge of the pool by the steps. Pop and beer is stocked in the pool fridge so you don’t have to worry about drinks. It’s on the honor system but compared to the bars $2 for a beer is very reasonable. Pop is $1. There is an ice machine as well.

Being in Marrero’s pool during the mid day means you will miss all the lemmings (cruisers) flooding town with their multiple offspring. Cruise ships usually leave by 5pm so they start heading to their ships by 3pm which means 3pm to 5pm is the best time for shopping because you’ll want to be back for Happy Hour!! We would often stay on the porch well after happy hour caught up in stories. Then it’s on to dinner and going out.

Most of the time when we came back we stopped by the pool and were the only ones there. Did I mention it’s heated? Awesome to take a dip after being at the bars all night!

I can only say you need to have a real expectation, so, here is it in a nut shell. At times there can be mostly older guests. Keep in mind that the time of year and when people can go on vacation will determine the age of guests. We have been there twice. Once it was mostly older but the other, mostly younger. The second time was closer to spring break but Steve does not rent to college kids so don’t worry about that! Mid week and weekend will also vary the general age of the guests. In short, it changes daily. The “kitchen” if you could call it that is smaller than our closet. No way is there room for a full bar or the ability to make a gourmet breakfast. Expect a Bud or a general mixed drink unless someone brings something to share. When we were there a huge group celebrating 3 – 40th birthdays brought some BBC rum. What a great time!! It’s an old house, with old floors, old windows, old walls and maybe an old ghost! It’s clean, well kept and if you are spending that much time in your room concerned about fancy tile and granite counters; why are you in Key West? People that come with expectations that the pool is going to be something like the playboy mansion or thinking that they are going to see something are setting themselves up for disappointment.

In summary we love Marrero’s because of the staff, the type of guests this house attracts, and the proximity to old town and the busy end of Duval. I just can’t imagine staying anywhere else. How much fun you have is up to you. Remember, fun is what you make of it and this house is for people that have a great attitude.

PS Steve loves Coors beer and it’s not readily available on the island. What you do with that information is your business. :)

Enjoy.

Room Tip: room 14 is huge and poolside
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank KWBeachCpl
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Our fourth time back to Marrero's. Last time was four or five years ago. We arrived at noon, cordially greeted by Steve and were told when the rooms were being cleaned. We change in the very clean first floor loo. Went out to lunch at a favorite haunt. The room was ready upon our returned. Skylee the housekeeper is the politest and happiest housekeeper I have ever met. We were happy to see that the mattresses had been replaced. The mansion is historic and the details have been preserved beautifully. They have done well updating while keeping the charm. We like the light breakfast, it saves our calories for the rest of the day's dining and libations. A variety of cereals, fresh fruit including blueberries, strawberries, 3 different melons, bananas, various yogurts and a new coffee cake daily, coffee, tea,milk. The room prices are reasonable compared to other guest houses we have researched. We reunited with guest from our past visits, and the breakfast and evening happy hour allow for a social gathering for those who wish it to exchange restaurant reviews. The pool, although not Olympic size, is larger than the soaking pools at many area guest houses. It is warmer than I like during the day but when enjoyed at night it is wonderful. Anyone complaining about old naked people must think they are ageless. As I get older I am impressed how well preserved many of us are compared to those years our junior. If I met them I probably would have found them snotty and boring, then ignored them. Marrero's is at mile marker zero and a great location to walk to almost everywhere, which helps burn the calories for the evening festivities.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple