“UNETHICAL: We were tricked into booking here, it didn't meet our needs or expectations.”

The Galleon Resort And Marina
Ranked #47 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We needed to be in Key West for a wedding so my Husband and I planned to take an extended 3 week vacation driving down the coast from NJ taking in sights, and visiting family along the way since we were traveling with our 1 and 3 year olds. After staying in Hampton Inns Hotels along the way, we were really looking forward to reaching the Galleon which we booked under the impression we were going to spend the week in a timeshare unit that we paid cash since the booking agent told us we couldn't use points. After living out of suitcases for two weeks, we were really looking forward to unpacking our bags and cooking homemade meals for our family. We are RCI timeshare owners so we are very familiar with their level of accomodations. When we finally arrived exhausted and ready to settle in, we were APPALLED to find that instead of a timeshare unit, they put us in a recently renovated HOTEL ROOM in a separate building facing the busy street with two flights of stairs and no elevator, that was clearly designed for partiers, not a family with toddlers. We were clear with the booking agent we had two small children and needed something appropriate. The room was unsafe. It had a utility closet with the furnace and exposed wires behind an accordian door next to the front door so my 3 year old was facinated with. I asked for a bolt to be put in the door stating a safety hazard, and was refused. There was NO DRAWERS to unpack our things! None! Housekeeping brought a luggage rack instead! There was nowhere for my kids to sit and eat their meals! My kids are 1 and 3. They are messy eaters. They ate standing with their food propped on the tiny groovy wooden cocktail table/footstool that was the only thing in the room along with a tiny microfiber couch. There was a king bed, a pullout couch, two groovy 12x12 cocktail tables, and the microfiber chair. After pulling out the couch bed, and setting up my baby's portacrib, we had to push the rest of the furniture into the closet just so we could get to the bathroom! As families with toddlers know, we spend A LOT of time in the room resting because the kids can't be out in the heat long before melting down. Needless to say, our room was miserable. In addition, the only window overlooked a housekeeping service area directly below our window! Staff often would hide in that area sneaking a quick smoke and to chit-chat all day long so I finally had to resort to closing the blinds on the only window in the unit so my Son would quit asking if it was a party! The Housekeeping staff took pity on us and was very kind. The Concierge/Timeshare Sales Mgr was also good, but we met her too late for her to intervene. The location is unbeatable. Next to the marina and good dining, and close to Duval Street. The room decor was beautiful but not appropriate for young children. We did take a timeshare tour and found the real units to be exactly what we had been looking for. For the money we spent, we could have gone to the Hyatt or another hotel accustomed to customer service standards, but we wanted to provide a homey atmosphere for the kids. If you are a partier, this room is perfect. If you are a family, dont fall into the same trap! Once you are there, the front desk staff say they can do nothing to change your room since the owners were already paid. We made the best of our time there for the sake of the children.

• Stayed March 2012
5 Thank SDMommy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights in June. The pool is great. The beach is great. The dock and tiki hut bar is great. Hanging out on the water and sipping ice cold beverages in the sun with some Jimmy Buffet playing was one of the highlights of out South Florida vacation.

Everything was clean and well kept. The service was good too!

We already made reservations in the Luxery Suite for May of 2013!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Slamuel
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Galleon is an older complex and it shows but it is in pretty good shape. The staff is constantly doing things to make it better. A bit disappointed with the pool and the "party" antics of win a prize.. If you don't like cruise ships or Sandals Resorts, you might be disappointed. The location on the Gulf of Mexico and on the Marina was wonderful and that alone saves this reviewer. Would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: The Staff was very quick to bring new towels when asked. Very Friendly folks.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JNJSmallSteps
Marathon, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Nice place to stay. Checked in Friday for a 2 day stay. We had to change rooms for another customer that stays in the same room (ours) for one week every year. We moved our belongings from one room to the other the next morning. I overlooked my small camera on the floor at the foot of my bed. Left for the day boating and immediately realized my camera was left behind. Returned to front desk that afternoon and the new guest for our old room was just checking in. Went up with them as they entered the room and a thorough search turned up nothing. Front desk made a note of it. That's it!?
I went to the front desk several times and it just seemed there is no protocol for housekeeping returning a "lost" item. I guess if you forget it, they get to keep it. It cost me $500, my mistake.
This is not a lost item. I know I left it in the room. I know housekeeping changed the sheets and cleaned. My camera is gone, nobody is responsible, nobody has called me to tell me they spoke to the person who cleaned my room. This is 2 days later and nothing.
If we didn't have to switch rooms, this would not have happened. I made a mistake and overlooked an item. If this happens to you, you may have the same experience. I know I left the camera in the room and exactly where. It is gone. I call this theft, but nobody at the Galleon cares. Don't expect anything.

Room Tip: don't leave any belongings behind, you will not get it back
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kjgophish
Reviewed 6 July 2012 via mobile

First time @ Galleon ... great views of the marina and fireworks !!!! Walking distance from Duval Street. Room was clean and Front desk employees was helpful. Love watching the two local cats and the nice boats coming into the marina.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple