“Christmas in Key West” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Annapolis, Maryland
“Christmas in Key West”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Our family of 5 required 3 rooms for the week of Christmas, and the Eden House had the best options. From first contact to saying goodbye, the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The rooms were exactly what we expected, very small, no closets or dressers, the bare minimum. But we didn't come to Key West to stay in our rooms, so that was fine. The hotel grounds were charming, the heated pool was luxury after a chilly day on the water, and the hot tub was fabulous. The hotel recommended several things to do and places to eat, and were happy to make the reservations for us. Upon arrival they gave us 3 coupons for free croissant and coffee at a nearby bakery, and offered us each a free beer. I loved the tour of the hotel, its lush grounds and quiet comfort. The only off thing, which I didn't notice til the end of the week since I didn't go upstairs to where our daughters were staying, was the smell in both of their rooms. They both said that after the maid cleaned, the rooms smelled like vinegar. I would have brought it up had I noticed it earlier, they do say to let them know about any problems and they will take care of it or refund you, but no whining at the end. But as I said, we weren't there to stay in our rooms. Our daughters shared a bathroom, and if it was occupied there was a lovely bathroom and separate shower down the hall. We've been to Key West 4 times now, always staying in different places. But this is the place we will come back to. Location, friendliness, absolutely lovely grounds, it had it all. If you're going to Key West, stay at the Eden House. I am still smiling at the memories.

Room Tip: While we got 2 small deluxe rooms, ours had a private bathroom, and was slighly larger, with a fold...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank lizg1234
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Dear Liz,
We do use a vinegar based solution to clean glass and mirrors because it is better for the environment and we are a green hotel. We will use a milder solution and mop up afterwards in the future to avoid that smell. Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Catch you on the flip side,
Mike Eden and Staff
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

Prior to making our reservation we looked on line at lots of photos and read tons of reviews. This
Made us very comfortable in deciding to choose this guest house for our overnight stay in Key West. Of the all the amenities listed, we noticed the photos of the rain showers in the bath rooms, which we found appealing. We called the Eden House and secured a reservation for a deluxe room, which we were told was located on the second floor, #204. Upon arrival we were greeted by Ryan who gave a tour and a description of all the wonderful services available. Our room was small but very clean and comfortable. The next morning, upon turning on the rain shower, we found out that the water pressure is virtually nil, just three small streams, not enough to rinse the soap off.
Upon checking out, we waited for about 15 minutes for someone to appear at the front desk. A
man came up behind the desk said Ryan was possibly showing new guests around the property but asked if he could help. I asked him if there was a problem with the water pressure and he said
Not unless you are on the second floor, which we were. I described to him the issue and he said
"yeah that is a problem, sorry for your inconvenience". At that point we needed to be on our way
and left. I am disappointed that we were not made aware of the problem at reservation time or at check in time, which may have allowed us to request another room. For $240. A night we expected better than this. All the superlatives that we read about this property are true but for this
One glaring exception. Honesty by way of full disclosure should be a hallmark of the owners of this lovely guest house.

Room Tip: Ask about the water pressure.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Richard L
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear Richard,
I would like to apologize to you for such a flippant response to the situation with the shower in your room. That shower head should have been cleaned before you checked in. We just renovatd three other rooms on the same floor for three weeks prior to your arrival. The water had to be shut off and turned back on several times during this period. Maintenance was supposed to have cleaned all shower heads and faucet aerators a week before you arrived. The employee that flippantly responded to your inquiry was the one that should have taken care of this issue. The front desk and I were under the impression that this had been done properly which is why you weren't made aware when you made your reservation or at check in. We cleaned the shower heads after reading your review and they were full of small particles.I am disgusted and ashamed. Shower heads always catch debris when the water gets shut off and on and I knew they would after this extensive renovation. I have taken steps to correct the avenue of communication with this maintenance man. Again I apologize and it has never been nor will it ever be my policy to decieve my guests. I have owned and operated the Eden House since October 8th, 1975 and I can't imagine trying to run a business like that.

Mike Eden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

We spent Dec. 17th through Dec. 22nd at the Eden House. We had every opportunity to leave before the world was supposed to end on the twenty first, but if Eden House was the last experience we had on earth, it was fine with us! The pool area and happy hour are second to none!
Mike Eden went way, way out of his way to give us affordable accomodations. His guests and his staff adore him. Stay there once and you'll see why! Mr. Eden has that rare natural cool like Dean Martin with a sprinkle of Hunter S. Thompson and Steve McQueen thrown in.
If your idea if vacationing is the cold, sterile brand hotels, then you're just trading the fluorescent lights of your office for fluorescent lights above your bed.
Many Thanks to Mr. Eden for our wonderful vacation! Thanks also to Elizabeth and Randy for handling the phone logistics. Thanks to Brandon from maintenance for his excellent, cheerful exuberant greetings and direction every morning! And to Kevin at the front desk for making sure we were always getting the most if our vacation! Like getting us on the Conch train, which was fantastic!
Eden House is exceptional and the ONLY bad part is that eventually you have to go home. Love the place, the people and everything else about it!

• Stayed December 2012
9 Thank cariosello
Southwest MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

What can I say? Everything was super! Did reservation over phone with very knowledgeable and friendly gentleman. Weeks later, when I arrived, he was working the front desk and remembered our phone conversation! Talk about personalized service! Gave us a tour upon arrival, which was much appreciated. We had their least expensive room, with a shared bath. No problem there. VERY clean. There are also bathrooms down the hall if your shared bath is occupied. Grounds were immaculate. So peaceful. Free Happy Hour every afternoon. Free coffee and tea all day. I cannot say enough about how much I loved this place. So much enjoyable outdoor space (hammocks, swings, pool, etc.), yet still within the grounds of the hotel itself. If I ever return to Key West, I will DEFINITELY stay there again! :)

We walked to the action every day, didn't need our car. Great cafes within close walking distance as well.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank MOchick
Park Ridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

My wife and I spent a week here for my birthday. Great place and quite Eden-like with all the comfortable nooks and crannies filled with hammocks, swings,a daily happy hour,and the maintained pool, one can find peace. Best of all is the warm staff such as Kevin and Randy - two solid accommodating, know the area well, stand -up giuys.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple