“Great place but this was our last stay here” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eden House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Eden House
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Springfield, Virginia
“Great place but this was our last stay here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I’m finally getting around to writing this review for my trip from May 25 – 27, 2011. This was my second stay at the Eden House because my travel companions and I fell in love with the hotel for the first time a few years ago (you can read my previous review). Unfortunately, we just didn’t leave with the same feeling this time.

Gina at the front desk was nice when I called to make my reservations and I asked for the same room we had last time, room 403. We were really looking forward to another wonderful stay. Eden House has off street parking which is very convenient and we easily found a spot. We arrived at the hotel during happy hour and I went to find the front desk clerk so we could check in. I don’t remember his name right now, but he was a young guy with short brown hair (I can’t remember his name unfortunately). There were a lot of people at the pool and he was serving drinks and chatting with the guests. I waiting for a break in the conversation and then asked if we could check in when he had a free moment. No sooner were the words out of my mouth, before his face fell as though I were an old enemy.

At that moment, I had never felt so unwelcome and so extremely bad for having to pull him away from the festivities. I remembered during our first trip we also checked in during happy hour but the front desk clerk at the time greeted us as though we were old friends! He checked us in, offered us a drink, walked us around the property, took us up to our room, gave us the code to the door by the parking lot, and basically made us feel like we were staying with friends. Mike Eden (the owner) was at the little self serve bar serving up drinks and when he saw us walk out onto our lanai, he waved up at us to “come on, have a drink!” with a huge smile.

Anyway, we went up to our room and got settled in. We were happy to see a few updates that we really appreciated such as the a/c unit, the blinds, and the mattress. Part of the charm of Eden House is that the rooms are cozy, unique, and have a tropical flair. This hotel is definitely not for the travelers who expect something like the Westin or Marriot. Eden House is beautiful, quiet, and (usually) friendly. It was very convenient having a little kitchen, the bathroom was nice and large as we remembered, and the view is always lovely from room 403’s lanai. This room will spoil you and you won’t want to stay anywhere else (room wise or hotel wise).

Later in the evening, we went to the front desk to rent two bikes. The same gentleman who checked us in was there and he looked really bored and a bit irritated. I thought I should just make the conversation simple and nice in case he was having a bad day or maybe going through something in his life (you never know). He let us pick the bikes we wanted and then listlessly gave us our locks and keys. We returned the bikes well before our time was up but at that point, it was quite late, perhaps close to midnight. It was a quick transaction, he looked up at us, we gave him the keys and lock and thanked him, he just said “yep” and we left. As I’m writing this, I’m beginning to think that maybe he was a robot...I don’t know…

When we checked out, luckily it was with another staff member and she was more pleasant. We were able to check out quickly and with no problems. During our first stay, the staff was so friendly we just felt like we belonged there. Unfortunately, this time, we were made to feel as though we were intruding. We just made plans to come back to Key West in May 2012 but sadly, we won’t be staying at Eden House this time around.

Room Tip: Room 403 is wonderful. It is on the second floor, has it's own private porch, full kitchen, ver...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank PermanentTourist
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear PermanentTourist,

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry that our employee ruined your trip. He was actually let go some time ago for just this kind of behavior. Once we were notified by other guests of his bad attitude, we realized he did not fit in with our friendly and funky vibe. Employee turnover is fairly high in a tourist town like Key West and we strive to hire people that will subscribe to our unique, fun and friendly atmosphere. However, sometimes you don't realize an apple is bad until you bite into it.

Guests are always encouraged to voice any concerns they may have with the hotel to a manager as soon as possible so that we may rectify the problem (just as we did with this former employee) and hopefully we can make the rest of your stay even more enjoyable than the last. If you ever decide to give us another shot, please call and ask for Ryan or Elizabeth and we will make sure you get the great service you originally loved. Also, drop by happy hour when you are in Key West this May for a drink and to check out some more great updates we've implemented around the property. 4 to 5pm every day!

Mike Eden
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

The staff of this hotel is the best ever. So personal and friendly. They really seem to love their job. The hotel was great and the free bar hour between 16-17 is quit unbelevable. Make your own drink and relax by the pool. We met a couple that have been returning at least 10 times, and we totally understand them. Here is where I want to live (and work).

The hotel staff also seems to know the souroundings really good and have coupons for restaurants etc. And are happy to help with different reservations.
I would love if all hotels were like this.
Our room had a outdoor shower (as well as an indoor) - life as you always want to spend it!

Room Tip: Rooms a bit away from the pool might be a bit quiter. Room 303 (or if it was 301) had an outdoor sho...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mia226
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I took a chance on the Eden House and found it to be exceptional. It exceeded my expecations and I dont impress easily. The property is immaculate and the grounds by the pool are absosolutely stunning. I find myself re-living the sights of the poolside landscaping it was that beautiful!! There was a lovely wind chime that provided soothing sounds. I was fortunate to be assigned a poolside room: soft bedding and a nice ceiling fan overhead kept me comfortable enough that I only minimally needed to run the A/C unit. I appreciated that this is a "green" property with numerous recycling cannisters about. I also read that they use solar panels to heat the pool during certain months of the year. The afternoon happy hour was a chance to socialize with other guests. They were pleasant but not intrusive. If you want to be kept alone and just "veg out" no one will take exception. Tip: I would highly recommend renting a bicycle to see town. Once I parked my car, I used the bike exclusively to get around town and for a price of $25 for 3 days, I thought that was very reasonable. The experience of a bike ride up and down the streets during the evening was something I will not soon forget. I also liked that the owner emails a list of "things to do" on the way to the resort and I took advantage of two restaurants that were recommended: Alabama Jacks and Sparkys Landing as well as the Coral Geologic Quarry. If you are driving down from the mainland, do take Card Sound Road to get to the Keys which is a nice drive through the swampy mangrove ecosystem. Every restaurant the owner recommended I can vouch for: Finnegans Wake, Old Town Bakery (great raspberry cheese danish!), Bo's Fish Wagon, and Kermits Key Lime Pie were a few that I tried. Get to Schooners Warf for live music and a Bloody mary! My only negative is that when I booked the room I keyed in a special "gift card" promotion which entitled me to a $20 giftcard for savings at area restaurants. It was never given to me. I didnt realize it until I got home and was recapping my trip. Im sure if I brought it to the attention of the desk it would have been resolved though. The desk staff was cordial and attentive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank ReeverNY
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel, located five blocks from Duval street, is a friendly place. It has a good swimming pool, happy hour appetizers and you feel home. However, although they do not consider themselves a bed & breakfast, we felt like it. Our room, a called private room (number 107 in the main house) was very small and had no TV, telephone or refrigerator. It had two windows with blinds that could not be opened since they overlooked the house's terrace, where people would pass by all the time, killing any possibility of privacy. Besides, for those who need total darkness to be able to sleep...impossible. The light coming from the aforementioned terrace was on all night long, coming through the blinds' cracks and shedding light right on the bed. And I noticed all rooms have the same type of blinds. Last, but not least, parking is for free, but it isn't big enough. The first ones to arrive will be able to park their cars. If you're late, too bad. So, I guess, it's up to you if it's a good stay or not.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NadiaMontagna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

After trying to save some money the first night of our 3 night trip, we ended up at the repulsive Lexington hotel. What a pleasant surprise to only spend about 30 more dollars and end in near the heart of old town at the Eden House. The rooms are kind of small. But the grounds are amazing. The style a mix between a cool b and b w some hotel pieces thrown in. Each guest gets a tour of grounds and our request for early check in was granted and we were even told we could arrive sooner if needed. Perfect place to stay in key west and I found it amazing how many guests just stayed on the grounds and hung by the pool or socialized or just relaxed.

• Stayed March 2012