All reviews waterfront site tent sites great campground bathrooms and showers rv park clean campground hogfish bar grill water front laundry room tiki hut water view nice pool heated pool palm trees duval street boyds keys
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I was working in Miami this month and figured I'd never have a better opportunity to visit Key West. Employee and other discounted rates at KW hotels started at ridiculous rates and went up from there. Instead of driving, I spent Friday and Saturday morning sulking over the missed opportunity. A friend recommended KOA on Sugarloaf Key, so while searching I ended up finding Boyd's. At half the price of a discounted room miles from any destination, I reserved a water-front tent site. That bears repeating. For twice the price, I could have the priviledge of staring at walls or a ceiling.

I arrived too late to enjoy the sunset, but the staff at Boyd's quickly steered me to the Hogfish Grille, just a long walk, or a short bike ride away. After dinner, the weather was too nice to pitch a tent, so I strung out my hammock instead. Now I haven't camped in 30 years so it was the worst night's sleep I've ever had, but every time I woke up, the stars and moon were the only things I saw. Traffic from US 1 was noticable, but that's only because sound travels well over water. If I were to complain about that, I would have to complain about the tarpon feeding throughout the night as well. Where's THAT suggestion box? Also no one thought to educate the roosters on Daylight Savings Time...

I awoke to an amazing sunrise. Didn't have to open a window or pedal to a beach or even get out of bed for that matter. Simple recipe for a change of attitude: open eyes, be amazed. I spent the next hour snapping pictures and sending them to friends who probably liked me a little less for the effort. Then I spent a few minutes trying to figure out why my hammock knots were still tight, but my butt was on the ground...

Thanks to the roosters, I had to get out and go somewhere, so I packed up and after a huge breakfast and several hours of pedaling, I thought I deserved a nap. Didn't have to worry about housekeepers or phone calls from the front desk. The staff promised if they hadn't seen me by checkout time, they would come and knock on the hammock. A short time later, while I was rested, relaxed and happy, I wasn't happy to leave.

To everyone at Boyd's, thank you.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank honestashol
Reviewed 10 October 2012

What a waste of money! Beautiful site for our RV but way too small. Hardly enough room for two lawn chairs by the water in front of picnic table with no beach. Our small travel trailer with one slide barely fit. The Navy planes were doing training maneuvers for two of the three days we stayed. Not relaxing at all! One week from the "high season" meant saving $10 per night but no activites which are advertised for the "high season" were offered. Unfortunately, we will not return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carolyn P
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We researched Boyd's before we made reservations and knew just what to expect...so we thought. Imagine our delight at finding that Boyd's far surpassed our expectations. No pristine, powdery smooth white sand beach here, but hey it's not the Carribean and no one else on Key West has a natural sand beach but you can be on the water. It's easy to find. It's quiet. The service was exceptional. The "camp store" was well stocked. Highspeed internet service was some of the best we've encountered in years of travel across the country. The reception personnel were quite knowledgable and acted like they had a personal, vested in meeting our every need. Even the maintenance staff was friendly and courteous. The sites were quite adequate; level with a concrete pad and more than big enough for our 33' double slide. There were several bathhouse/restroom facilities, all of which were immaculate and well stocked. My wife appreciated the powerful hair dryer in the women's bathhouse. The rates were competitive. What more could anyone want? Kudos to Boyd's!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ISP2390
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed at Boyd's in the off-season, and it was well worth it. My husband and I stayed in a waterfront tent site on a Saturday and a Monday (in between we were camping on Dry Tortugas). Saturday was more crowded, but the restroom and shower facilities remained clean and stocked with soap and TP throughout our stay.

The office staff was very friendly and helpful. We didn't have electrical at our site, so the office staff let us charge our phones as we went out to dinner. They also enforce the quiet time, which starts at 11pm, which made it more restful as we slept near the ocean/marina. The campground is definitely more populated with RV's, but some of the campsites for tents have the best views.

If we were to come back to Key West, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I have friends who winter at Boyds and allow me the privilege of visting them during their stay. This was my third year staying at Boyds and every year I fall in love with it more and more. From the openessof the sites to the friendly staff, it is a wonderful place to stay while visiting Key West. Boyds is close enough to enjoy all Key West has to offer, yet those times when you just want to chill by the fire at your site Boyds is quiet and serene.

The individiuals who work at Boyds have been there for years and will help with you anything. The cashiers in the gift shop will recommend great restaurants and places to see while in Key West. The maintainance crew are the best, from sunrise to sunset they are working. I never once saw any area, including the pool and showers unkept. Whether you are a Spring Breaker or on a family vacation, whether you are tenting or RVing there is no place like Boyds. Definately looking forward to my next visit and have recommended Boyds to friends who have enjoyed saying there as much as I have.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends