“Great value, location”

Best Western Hibiscus Motel
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Key West
“Great value, location”
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

Just got back from 4 nights at the Hibiscus. We were very pleased with our stay. The hotel was immaculate and recently updated. Our room was large and spotless. Friendly staff. Large, sparkling pool and hot tub with plenty of sunny and shady seating. Breakfast was typical continental breakfast. Location is near the south end of Duval St, making it very quiet, particularly at night. We were easily able to get around everywhere on foot or by renting bikes (there is a rental place a block away). Would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank rachillsk8
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Polish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have done many hotel reviews, but this is one of the very few times that I have given a hotel a rating of "5". This is because I felt that the Best Western Plus Hibiscus offered a superior choice of accommodations at an amazingly affordable rate, especially considering the rates charged in Key West.

1) I was impressed by the size of the room. In fact, I would say that I was "wow'd" by the size of the room. I also appreciated the fact that there were sinks both inside and outside the bathroom, so that more than one person could be getting ready in the morning (or evening) at the same time.

2) I was impressed by the comfort of the bed. It had just the right combination of firmness and softness and lots of pillows, so you could sleep with just one pillow or four, if you wanted. The bedspread was too thin to my liking, but there were fresh blankets in the closet that provided the right amount of warmth that I needed.

3) I was impressed by the location. It is a block away from Duval Street, but at the opposite end from all the "craziness". It's easy to walk up Duval Street if you like, but it's just as easy to walk up some of the parallel streets which are quiet and have interesting architecture. You are also within a few blocks of a couple of the Key West beaches. The only place we ended up driving to was Fort Zachary Taylor Park and only because we had beach chairs and umbrellas. You can walk here, too, if you want.

4) I was impressed by the quietness of the place. I was concerned about noise because we were near Duval Street which did not turn out to be a problem since we were at the far end from all the activity. I was also concerned because our room, as most of them do, faced the pool and the pool hours were 8am to midnight. There were no children here during our stay and the young adults that were here were respectful of others when they were at the pool. If there was anything going on at the pool after 10 pm, I never heard it.

5) I was impressed by the pool. We seldom take advantage of pools during vacations since we are so busy sightseeing, but we made a special effort to spend a couple hours each day at this pool, reading on one of the many comfortable lounge chairs or swimming in the clean, clear water. We also brought our continental breakfast out here each morning to enjoy under one of the umbrella'ed tables next to the pool.

5) I was impressed by the cleanliness of the room and the grounds and by little amenities such as extra pool/beach towels, the refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and the packet of microwave popcorn!

I did a lot of research before booking accommodations in Key West and could not find anything that offered as much for such a good rate as the Best Western Hibiscus. When I discovered that they actually offered more than advertised, I was more than pleased with my choice. This property certainly deserves an "Excellent" rating.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank longhorn74
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I had the unfortunate reality of accidentally double booking myself into two hotels in Key West for my two night trip. I went to both, and this one clearly won out. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.
The location is pretty good. It's about a mile down Duval to all the craziness, so if you're not up for a walk or using the tram, you need to look closer. However, this was perfect for me. It was just far enough away from the craziness that you could get to it easily if you turn left on the island instead of right like most GPS will take you. I rented a scooter, and that was the perfect solution for me.
The room was HUGE. I had two queen beds, a desk, two sitting chairs, a dresser, closet and mini fridge, and it was not even close to being crowded. Water pressure was fine, but the hot would seem to "cycle" from hot to cold and back to hot again.
The pool was nice. It never seemed to be crowded, and it was plenty big.
As others have said, the complimentary breakfast is merely "ok". Definitely get out and investigate the local cuisine for breakfast.
Overall, I was very pleased with the property, and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely get a pool view room. I also prefer the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank ifontaine
Show Low, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2012

If you want a hotel room you won't get claustrophobia in, this is it. These rooms are large and nicely appointed. The beds were comfy, the room was clean, there was plenty of towels, and they had parking! The staff was really nice and helpful and the pool area was clean. It's a block off Duval Street, but it's a lot quieter, which is really nice when you want to sleep. There's a tram stop not even a half block away, so super easy to get around. The complimentary breakfast was tasty, although a little small. This hotel is far superior to the last hotel I stayed in, and a lot less $$. Do yourself a favor... for breakfast, walk around the corner to the little corner deli. There's a cuban outdoor resturant with the best breakfast on that side of the island. Try the orange juice!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the stairway. Occasionally you can hear people going up and down the stairs.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Katrina L
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Rating between 3 and 4 stars. Room was very clean and quite large. It had a bit of a strong odor of cleaning product, but we had secured the room right after it was serviced, so this may be the reason. Location of the hotel is on the quiet end, one block off Duval. It was close to a couple of the "hop on, hop off" bus stops, so we used it for transportation also.

The front desk helped us with an unusual request--very pleased with their willingness to assist.

Outdoor pool was very large--clean and not too crowded.

Breakfast area was VERY crowded and hot...it had decent choices including waffles, microwave sandwiches, etc.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family