“EXCEEDED our expectations in every respect!”

Best Western Hibiscus Motel
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Mokena, Illinois
“EXCEEDED our expectations in every respect!”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We booked the hotel for a short stay in Key West Florida based on the favorable reviews from "TripAdvisor". (4 days, 3/26/12-3/29/12) Its location to the activities in Key West was part of our decision. Once we parked our car, we were able to use our bicycles as transportation to travel anywhere we needed to go without the parking problems. Our stay actually EXCEEDED our expectation from the positive reviews on "TripAdvisor" I was really impressed with the spacious size of the room. It appears this was an "Old School" hotel that was successfully brought up to todays standards. I/We will be going back to Key West again and I am not going to bother even looking for a different hotel for our stay. We will be staying at the Best Western Plus Hibiscus Motel again and again! I realize cost in the area can be high. I was also attracted to the relatively affordable price. I did not even ask if there was a fitness room. I reasoned that between our bicycles and short walking distance to most of the attractions, a fitness center was not necessary for us. Thank you for the hospitality!

Room Tip: By luck, we were assigned one of the upper pool facing rooms and the next time I will request the sa...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank papacho2
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Nice big rooms upstairs facing the parking lot, only 4 rooms up there. Did not hear any street noise. Read rooms had flat screen tv sets. We had a crummy old tv. Nice kitchen area, counter space and 3 sinks. Breakfast was fine. Internet was terrible, of you could get on you were booted, and the complimentary computers in lobby were not always able to connect. Sara at the desk was friendly and outgoing. Great pool with long hours.

• Stayed February 2012
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just spent four nights at this hotel. I chose it because I'd read about the difficulty parking in Key West and I was going to be taking the car out every morning on the way to the dive boat. I also wanted to stay somewhere within walking distance to old town, so all the larger chain hotels further east on US 1 didn't fit my criteria.

The location is easy to find. You come in on US 1 or Truman Avenue and take it to a block before Duvall Street, then take a left and go down about six blocks. I never made it to Higgs or Ft Zachary Taylor beaches, but they are both a short walk away.

I had a pool-side King room and paid $179 a night. It had a mini-fridge, coffemaker, key operated safe and a nice 42" flat panel TV. Programming was limited to local cable and there were no movie options. The wireless Internet was a little spotty in my location, but I was always able to connect. The pool was also nice sized; I only went in once. It was open until midnight, but noises from it never kept me awake.

Breakfast was good. I mostly ate the Bob Evans sandwiches, preferring the English muffin to the bagel. Coffee machine is push-button and dispenses coffee at 2 million degrees, Get your coffee first and let it sit a while (and I like hot coffee).

The staff was very pleasant and helped my out with a few restaurant suggestions. If you like Thai, go to Thai Island; best Thai food I'd had in years. They also gave me a toohbrush/toothpaste kit so I could scrub the film off a new scuba mask.

About the only weakness was the cleanliness of the floors. Going barefoot, I noticed how dirty my feet got, I think from a combination of my room and the walkway to the lobby.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jay B
Munkebo, Fyn, Denmark
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here for 2 days in june 2011, and we loved this little motel :) Very relaxing atmosphere, and great little pool in the motel. Very nice big rooms, good beds and the bathroom was nice and clean.
Breakfast area was a little small, but the food was okay, and the price for staying here was very reasonable.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank termo1234
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

More that I was expecting, comfortable room, soft and clean beds, clean bathroom, normal breakfats and very friendly and courteus employees.

Room Tip: Use yor air miles
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family